Thread: Fishing the Upper Russian

Default Fishing the Upper Russian

We are fishing the Upper Russian July 23/24. Renting Mountain Bikes and riding in. Which would be our best option. .

Ride in from the Russian/Kenai Confluence to the 12 Mile Marker, then fish our way back to the Confluence.

Fish our way to the Upper Russian Lake, then ride out to the Snug Harbor Trail Head.

Ride in from the Snug Harbor Trailhead to the Upper Russian Lake and fish our way to the Confluence.

Where are the falls on the Russian.

Thanks

First off the trail is actually very far away from the river, when I did it I did cooper landing down for the total elevation loss. I'd reccomend riding to one of the lakes and fishing there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I did cooper landing down for the total elevation loss.
    That's the Kenai.....correct.

Have you rode the Snug Harbor Trail, or the Trail from the Upper Russian Lake down to the Lower Russian Lake.

Default Bikes could be a problem from lower lake down

The trail from the lower lake down, starting near the falls becomes steep and certainly not bike friendly. You would be better off locking the bikes up near the lower lake, fish your way down river a bit and then back up river to the bikes, then ride the trail back down to the campground. That trail is wide and fairly smooth. I have not been above the lower lake, the one time I explored a little bit it seemed fairly rough and muddy, but once again I did not go very far at all.

There is also a state or maybe federal cabin that you can rent somewhere near the upper lake (I think).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    That's the Kenai.....correct.

Have you rode the Snug Harbor Trail, or the Trail from the Upper Russian Lake down to the Lower Russian Lake.
    sorry I mistyped, I did cooper lake down.. my bad

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    There is also a state or maybe federal cabin that you can rent somewhere near the upper lake (I think).

Good luck!
    Theres a forest service cabin on the upper lake, a good place to hire a float plane to bring steak BBQ and keg and then bike in yourself, a nice comfy trip

17+ yrs ago (if my memory is correct) we hiked up to the Lower Russian Lake and stayed at the state cabin there. There was a small dock and a 12' aluminum boat with jackets and oars. Seems like the lower part of the river had better holes to fish but I could be wrong.