Thread: ATV or Snowmobile?

Default ATV or Snowmobile?

If you were going to freight heavy materials about 30 miles back into your camp in the winter over a river which would you use one of the ATV's with tracks or a good work sled like a Skandik Wide Track?

I'd use a track rig, like a Nodwell or something like that.

I have a 04 Skandic SUV 600, it will pull some amazing loads.

Any good widetracked machine would do it. Get a good trail setup, then start freighting!

I guess you could use a Nodwell, or Susvee, but most trails aren't wide enough for them.

I'm not sold on the ATV's with tracks, but I've never tried one. I know they're spendy and heavy.

Stick with a snowmachine.

Default Snowmachine

Definitely go with the snowmachine. I'd look for one of the old Ski-Doo Alpines if you can find one. Otherwise, the Skandic or even the Polaris widetrak (something with low range) is a good option. I think the track modifications are hard enough on the wheelers much less towing a big load with them.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I have a Skandic 440 LT right now but I have over 10,000 miles on it (it has been a great sled to me)and I was thinking of something new. I was wondering if instead of getting another sled which naturally is only good for the winter. If I could save myself some money and get a ATV/Sled type vehicle that I could use both winter and summer.

I would appreciate if you could tell me where I could find a Nodwell. I have never seen or heard of one and I tried to locate info about it on the internet and have been unsuccessful so far.

Default widetrack

I'd vote for the wide track. I use mine to haul tandom sled loads of wood back to town and drums of gas and supplies to camp. Just like an earlier post said get something with a low range. As a side note, I know several people who use their ski-oo super wide track year round hauling loads of dog food and materials back to camp. Requires more maintainence for the hyfax bearings,and suspension, but they make it work so the bears don't get fat on dogfood on the beach.

one last thing the Ski-doo SUV has a much better suspension that will require less maintainence than the super wide ski-doo, which incorporates one very similar to your 440lt

Default Nodwell

I don't know if they are in production any more, but here is a link with a little history.

http://www.abheritage.ca/abinvents/i...tr_nodwell.htm
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks AKmud, they look like a trail groomer for sled trails or ski slopes. Probably more money then I can afford. Looks like I will probably just get a wide track and then get a ATV later.

Next question, does anyone know where you can get your hands on a good freight sled that could haul 16 foot lumber up there?

Thumbs up sled

Siglin sleds out of fairbanks-Northern Sled works is the name on the website I believe.

Rugger, thanks for the sled info. I checked them out and that looks like the way to go. I appreciate the help and advice from all.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.