Thread: Scope Work

Default Scope Work

I picked up a old steel tube Weaver yesterday. It was the K-4-W that looks like a TV screne from the back end. A buddy of mine has several of these and likes them. I showed him this one and he said he had a couple that had got dull and was not as bright as they should be when you looked through them. Does anybody know of a good place to send a old scope to get it reworked?

Default Older scopes

There are a number of people that will re-work scopes but the true is that the older scopes just aren't as bright and clear as the newer ones. Newer optical glass, coating, and better designs do make a difference. I've got a variety of rifle scopes dating from pre-WWII to very recent. When you compare them the differences are very apparent. For example I took the Weaver K-4 I bought new in the 60s to the range recently - it was hazy, dull, and not near as sharp as even a new cheap $25 scope you can buy today.

Even the older Leupold Vari-X II & III scopes aren't as good as the newer ones- Leupold improved the design and used better optics as they became avaliable. A new Vari-X I you can buy today is much nicer optically than an older Vari-X II that is 30 or 40 years old.

I'll see if I can dig out some of the scope repair folks contacts but to be honest- it probably just isn't worth the time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I picked up a old steel tube Weaver yesterday. It was the K-4-W that looks like a TV screne from the back end. A buddy of mine has several of these and likes them. I showed him this one and he said he had a couple that had got dull and was not as bright as they should be when you looked through them. Does anybody know of a good place to send a old scope to get it reworked?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK