Thread: Hornady AP Progressive throwing different Charges

Default Hornady AP Progressive throwing different Charges

I bought this press a couple months ago and had some issues with it throwing some different charges that varied by .1 or .2 grains either way. I posted that on here and there was some discussion around flake verses ball powder and their weighing accuracy. So, I got some Winchester and Reloader Ball powder and I am still having "issues"! Heck, sometimes it is a half grain off which scares the heck outta me.. I'm loading 40's and while I'm not loading for crazy accuracy I would like the loads to be as consistant as possible and certainly within pressure ranges. I value my digits and eyeballs..

I called Hornady and they are nice but it's almost as if they don't believe me when I tell them how far it's off. We clean it when we change powders.. I know it's setup right..

Has anyone else had issues with this press or any other progressive press for that matter where the charges were 1/2 grain off either way? This has me shakin like a dog crapping peach pits..

No powder measure I have ever had was any more accurate than the Hornady (some as good but not better) on my L-n-L AP and +/- .1 or even .2 is fine with me, if I need better I trickle it. But +/-.5 isnĎt okay with me, with that I could be loading 10g and getting 9 to 11. All powder measures are finicky with some powders and there are little tricks to them.

What I would do is remove it being sure to disassemble the rotor assembly all the way, clean it all well it with brake cleaner . . . donĎt get it on any plastic, the hopper pulls right off with some wiggling. Dry with computer caned air spray (a must have for the primer feed shoot on the AP anyway) then wipe it with a dryer static sheet inside anyplace powder will contact, wad it up and pull it through like you are cleaning a gun. Spray One Shot on a rag and wipe the metel to metel contact surface (donít spry it all over like Hornady says just the contact surfaces) of the rotor and install than with adjuster parts in place lightly spray them with One Shot so it canít get inside.

Now when setting up and running the press you need to be constant. Some tap the powder measure with the case in it, I tap the press handle a couple times at the bottom of the stroke. Whatever you do it needs to be the same every time in setup and production. To setup, thanks to the L-n-L bushing, I hold the thing over the scale to get close then charge a case (tapping the handle) and fine tune it. Then I check every 10 rounds or so as I run. If Iíve been away from the press and come back I run 5 charges right onto the scale and divide that by five to see how itís doing then check the first couple cases.

Sometimes in setup you work the handle many times without dispensing any powder, this knocking around can pack/settle the powder into the rotor and give a fat charge. So when I start production right before the first case gets charged I dump that wiggled charge into a cup and right back into the hopper. Some powders like that plate in the hopper, some like a full hopper with no plate and some half full with no plate so you beed to play with that too.

If you are expanding at the powder station there such a litany of other issues that I found it not worth doing. Never needed to though, I ether donít use my powder lock-out die and seat/crimp separate at station 4 and 5, or use the lock-out in 4 and seat/crimp together at station 5.

If you do all this stuff, itís correctly set up and are still getting +/- .5 there is something wrong with it that Hornady needs to address.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy

Thanks for th suggestions. I'll give these s try and let you know. I am not expanding at the powder station. I expand at 3, powder 4, seat at 5 and taper crimp at 6.

I'm not sure what your referring to when you talk about powders liking a partial to full with or without plates? I assume your talking about the amount of powder in the hopper but I'm not sure what plate your referring to.

Okay, the weight of the powder pushing it into the rotor pushes more powder in with a full hopper than an almost empty hopper. To help even that out you should have a thin V shaped stamped steel plate that goes in the hopper inverted making a little hill in there. This holds up the powder column weight off the rotor, powder trickles through two round notches so full or empty there is about the same amount of powder trying to get into the rotor all the time.

Most of the time you want the plate in there but like I said some powders donít like the plate, for those you need to find how full to maintain the hopper, a little, a lot, or whatever is most consistent.

I donít think you have a position 6 on a Hornady L-n-L AP unless itís a press Iíve never heard of. My AP position 1 is de-cap/size, between 1 and 2 on the down stroke is priming, 2 is belling, 3 powder, 4 is ether lock out die or seating, 5 is ether seat/crimp or just crimp, then a complete round ejects at the bottom between 5 and 1.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona