Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Binoculars...suggestions?

Default Binoculars...suggestions?

I'm planning on upgrading my binos from a pair of $80 bushnells to something around $200-300. I'm looking at using this pair for bear hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting, goat hunting, etc...Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would get a set of Leupolds or Vortex.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

In that price range, I'd recommend Steiners. Great value for the $$. Best value is a pair of 8x30 Military. See the Optics forum sponsor here, he carries them. I used a pair for 20 years until I upgraded to $warov$ki...

Nikon Monarchs did well for the price.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

+1 on the Vortex binos. Check out camera land, optix planet or even Sportsman's warehouse!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I picked up mine at cameralandny.com for a good price. Went with the refurb's and haven't had any issues and work well in the field.

Yeah check out Doug at camera land, he use to give a $50 discount to forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Same here. 8x32 roof prism compacts. Great glass for the price. Got them in '04, still crisp and calibrated/collimated.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Lotta binocs in our house, but the ones that get the most field time are my 20-year old Zeiss 10x25B. Now they're a jump up out of your price range, but the comparable 10x25T is just one heck of a glass. I got them for my wife, and she's very careful to keep them out of my mitts. Looks like I'll have to buy my own, but dang, the 10x25B's are still going strong. The "T" version is definitely a step up from the "B" but out of your range.

The vortex have a no questions asked warranty. They have worked perfect for me. I have the 10x42 and the 8x42 and prefer the 10x. You just get more field of view. I would guess that if you got any brand and spent 300 or more then you would be happy over what you have now. I am sure you can get some sort of discount at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I have the 10x42 and the 8x42 and prefer the 10x. You just get more field of view.
    Sorry guy but that's not how it works. The higher the number in front, the higher the magnification (not field of view)....especially if the objectives are the same as they are between your 10 and 8 power. The 8x42s will have the larger field of view, just not the magnification. Now if your 10s had an objective lens of say 50, then it will be more comparable field of view as your 8x42s. The lower the magnification, and the higher the size of the objective, the larger the field of view. Oh, and "usually" the higher the objective size the better its light gathering ability. That's why I went with my Swarovski 7x42. Find the game with a huge field of view and light, then zoom in with the spotter.

Another thumbs up for the Nikon Monarchs. I've had mine for several years and they have taken a beating. Money well spent.

Leica 8x32 or 10x40

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Leica 8x32 or 10x40
    He did say in the $2-300. range.....

In that price range a pair of Leupolds, Nikons or Vortex is hard to beat.

I've been using a pair of Leupold 10x50s for years and they've held up well. A partner got some Vortex 10x42s last year and they are nice for the money.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the correction 4merguide. I have never looked through the 7 x 42 but I am going to be checking them out. Better low light with more field of view is hard to beat.

Leicas if you can afford them. Leupolds are good for the price.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Thanks for the correction 4merguide. I have never looked through the 7 x 42 but I am going to be checking them out. Better low light with more field of view is hard to beat.
    Indeed....My Swaros have really been probably the best piece of gear I've ever bought. Of course as guide you basically walk around all day with your binos attached to your head. And after hours and hours of constant glassing, eye fatigue with lesser glass can become a real problem.

As far as light gathering ability, I will never forget when I first had them in my hands. It was around late fall and near dark thirty. I was in the house with the door open looking down the driveway towards the road. Next thing I know I see my dog out there walking around. I quickly lowered the binos and even though she was less than 75 yards away, I couldn't see her with the naked eye. I put them back up and there she was again plain as day.

Along the same lines, I was guiding a sheep hunter years ago. It was first light and there were still lots of shadows. We were up on top and I was glassing the draws....way down into, around, and under, the rocks. For some reason something held me looking at a large overhang. At first I couldn't see anything there, but then as if by magic, a ewe and lamb just seemed to materialize out of thin air. They where laying there in the darkness tucked in back under the rock, but the Swaros brought them into view. The value of good glass, field of view, and light gathering ability is immense in hunting situations.

Also, my 7x42 Swaros are not these latest greatest super spendy glasses that you see in catalogs and stores today. They are called "Traditional" glasses, which just means "old style". But it doesn't make them any less quality as they are still Swarovski glass.

I might add to the op, that I bought my Swarovskis from a personal dealer/guide......not a store. Some guys do this. They don't advertise and don't have a store. They have a dealership mainly for their clients and guides. I ended up paying far less than retail or even catalog prices. If you are interested, you might want to check around and make some calls. I think the Swarovski website may have a listing of all their dealers. It may be worth it to you in the long run to have a piece of gear that to me, will probably end up being a family heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by CtP View Post
    I picked up mine at cameralandny.com for a good price. Went with the refurb's and haven't had any issues and work well in the field.
    x2 Doug and the crew always have them on sale for dirt cheap and they are a great bino!

x2

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast