Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a brown bear partner

Default Need a brown bear partner

My normal partner is going to Kodiak this spring, and the few other guys I've hunted w/ are tied up w/ day jobs. Thus, I would like to find someone who wants to hunt brown bear near Dillingham this spring in latter May. I've had good luck finding partners here; 3 for 3, so let's shoot for 4 for 4. I don't need someone who can track voles over rocks or live in the twigs w/ a pack of gum and a plastic bag for a week, just someone who seriously wants to hunt brown bears and is willing to suffer the weather and boredom, PLUS: (1) No alcohol in camp. Not negotiable. (2) No live round in the chamber 24/7. Not negotiable. There are times to lock and load, but not many outside of shooting time. I am not interested in debating that, either. That is my opinion and that is settled. (3) Be fairly quiet in camp, no fires, and no smoking. If brownbear does not let his clients smoke, that is good enough for me. Interior grizzlies are a different story; they smell fires all summer long. That is about it. It will be raining and cold at least part of the time. We've been in there twice and it's been a bit nasty. The first time was early May, and the river we used for water froze over at night, toward the end of the hunt. We saw one small bear and a sow w/ twin 2-yr olds. Then last year it just rained and blew 21/7. We saw a variety of sows w/ twins (3 sets together one evening) and a few single bears at a long distance. One was close enough that we had a good chance on it, but we got miscommunicated and blew the deal. So, there you have it. Oh, yes. It will cost about $1500 from Anchorage, and we'll have to stay in a B&B at least two nights; one on the way in, one on the way out. Last year we stayed two days before we could fly out; too windy. Prices are about $150/night/person. It ain't cheap, and it ain't real warm. Sounds like a blast, right? BTW: I don't care about male/female, color, etc. Just a person interested in pursuing Mr Big. I have an individual wavering, but he has not committed. Please call me at 347-5469. email is jolinak at gci dot net. I'm in Fairbanks, but my previous 3 partners are from Anchorage, so that is not a problem. We DO, though, need to chat and get acquainted. Thank you. john

BTW: I am 63 and in good shape; not like a 25 yr old in good shape, but better than a 25 yr old in bad shape. I have hunted here for 35 yrs, and shot a few animals, including 2 grizz and a brown bear. LOTS of "near miss" stories, like most of us, too. c ya. john

BTW #2: That $1500 is the total cost from Anch, including the 2 days at the B&B. If you have Alaska airline miles, then the flight from Anch to Dill is "free", so the $1500 is about $1000 for the bush flight and the 2 almost guaranteed nights at the B&B. If we get lucky, we can get out of the field the same day we fly out of Dill and save that $150. I just did not want to post the minimum and then have a surprise. Thanks. john

Gee, my dream hunt with a disciplinarian I don't know.

I am the one that has hunted with John the last 2 years. The first year we spent trying a new place and hit it to early in the season. We found a better place last year and hit it the middle of May with decent results. I saw about 25 bears for the week so they are there. I would be going again this year with John but like he said, I am headed to Kodiak and don't have time off for 2 hunts in the month of May. John isn't really as cranky as he puts on here and is a good person to hunt with. We are already making plans for next year for this same spot.

Randy

I don't have any time available to hunt with you, John, but I wouldn't object to anything you proposed in your hunting plans. I have hunted black bears with many friends over the years, via boat, and it sounds like we have a similar priorities and expectations. Making these things known in advance prevents misunderstandings and hurt feelings in the field.

Good luck on your hunt!

Bullwinkle and Dan: Thanks! Cheech: I am not a "disciplinarian", wherever tf that came from, but I am not afraid of letting people know what I expect out of a partner. I don't think those are unreasonable or unusual specs, but perhaps just flat-out saying them sounds abrasive. Sorry about that, but it is just concise plain-speak; no emotion, and no criticism of those who think differently is implied. I don't generally speak like a politician, and I understand tact. I am a guy of science; here it is, without getting all wrapped up in it or critical. Simple, like me.

John's a nice guy, just a no bs kind of guy. When he goes hunting he likes to hunt, and a lot of that is right from camp which is why he isn't a proponet of smoke and drinking in camp. I beleive he shot a big grizzly bear from camp on a trip and I shot a moose and a wolf from camp on a trip with him.

Hntr: And I thank you for the vote of confidence. You need to take sick leave from work and go to Dill w/ me. Only THIS TIME, I get to shoot the first bear. You have shot two w/ me, and I got zeroed out on those trips; that ain't even fair! The first one you shot was not far from camp, either; I think you floated two bends while I was up in a tree. I almost felt the shock waves. And, yes, I did shoot my second griz w/in 200 yrds of camp, at 17 paces. You won't have them getting near camp, which of course is convenient and infrequent, if you are disturbing the environment too much, in any way. You enter their home when out there, and they could be anywhere, any time. BTW, folks: I neither solicited support here nor bought it from Bullwinkle and Hntr! (Nothing traceable, anyway.)

Hello, I sent you a visitor message(i think) but please get back with me, thanks

Well, I am now 4 for 4 on finding good hunting partners on this forum, which speaks highly of the cats who hang here. What a great place to "date". Joe T and I just had a very good trip. He got an 8 footer on the first night (his first brown bear, so he is understandably very happy) and did not P&M one iota for the next 8 days whilst I passed on 3 or 4 that size, waiting for Mr Big. Joe just hung in there, marched out into the pucker brush w/ me, glassed like necessary, got up early (earlier than me....), etc, both of us looking for the elusive big guy for me. If I had shot the 8 footer I passed on the first night, we'd have been out of there in record time. Greed sometimes does you in.....

Wow. Sounds like an awesome hunt. Congrat's on your spotting game and bringing one back for Mr. Joe T.

sounds nice...wheres the evidence?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

well here he is, I had a great time while picking up on all the info i could. This was my first bear ever and taken on day one even of my first bear trip. We had great wx and tides for our evening hunts which was when they all decide to show up. We saw about 30 bears for the whole trip, some duplicates of course. I cant wait to get a blackie and some other critters. Moose season not to far. If i could ever prosocute the dam critter that stole my skull he'd get the business end of my 338. Thanks again John, ill be in touch.
    Im having trouble adding images, any tips. it wont let me load from the computer

well here he is, I had a great time while picking up on all the info i could. This was my first bear ever and taken on day one even of my first bear trip. We had great wx and tides for our evening hunts which was when they all decide to show up. We saw about 30 bears for the whole trip, some duplicates of course. I cant wait to get a blackie and some other critters. Moose season not to far. If i could ever prosocute the dam critter that stole my skull he'd get the business end of my 338. Thanks again John, ill be in touch.
    Im having trouble adding images, any tips. it wont let me load from the computer ill gladly email anyone who wants to see him

sorry for the many post, trying to post these

Olds455,

Good looking bear. Glad you got to fill in my spot this year while I was in Kodiak. I would have felt bad for John if he couldn't have gone because of me. Heard he was close to camp and now I can see where he really was. Did you take any pictures of camp?

Randy

Randy, this is probably my best pic of camp. I figured it was right where you were the last trip out there. It couldnt have been a better trip. If i go after another brownie ill be looking for a bigger one myself.
    How was your Kodiak trip?

did you have any trouble form F&G on having the skull stolen?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Was curious as well..also would have had to be a pretty big critter to remove a 15lb or so skull. Overall, not cool at all. Would have envolved some serious tracking on my part running that critter down..lol

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    did you have any trouble form F&G on having the skull stolen?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast