Thread: Bought a new Taurus 44 today

Default Bought a new Taurus 44 today

Ok, I've been shooting/hunting for almost 40 years and I've only owned 2 handguns, a Colt Frontier Scout 22 cal that I've had almost that long and the Taurus 44 I bought today at the Sports show. I purchased it for a little security to use along with my bear spray while my little guy and I are out hunting and fishing.

Any advice on what to buy for ammunition would be appreciated I won't be reloading so something that will serve as bear protection that I can buy off the shelf. I need to get out and shoot it a bunch before we start bear baiting, I'll let you know how it shoots. We had brown bears at the bait last year and it was a little unnerving to sit in the stand with only my bow.

Thanks in advance.

Guess I should have read Plentycoupes recent post a it answered my question.

I think you should look at lighter loads than those mentioned for Plentycoups.Whats good for one gun type is not always good for another.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have had a couple Taurus 44's pass through my hands and they were all destroyed by improper ammo usage. The COAL of most hot/heavy .44 mag ammo is too long for the cylinder length and ends up hitting the forcing cone and knocking the gun out of time. If it is a Taurus Tracker NEVER shoot any ammo with a bullet weight over 240 grains. If it is not the Tracker you probably could shoot heavier stuff but if it were me I'd find a nice cast 250(ish) grain slug at a moderate velocity and stick with that. JMHO.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

DaggaBoyAK

Practice with light loads. Unless you are a guy with big strong wrists, use a arm-wrist-hand brace. This may sound or appear "sissy", but will reduce discomfort the next day after practice shooting with that very light .44 mag revolver. But I would imagine that it is a great hand gun for the purpose, close range protection while bear baiting, that you mentioned. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think you should look at lighter loads than those mentioned for Plentycoups.Whats good for one gun type is not always good for another.JMHO
    Thanks for the advice AW. BTW I lived in Wrangell in the early 90's. That area is truly a sportsmans paradise. Salmon just out of the harbor, halibut a few minute skiff ride, crab and shrimp everywhere. Deer on the island, Moose up the river, bears all along the coast in spring, elk real close also now. I went up the river all the way to Telegraph a few times. Awesome place, just awesome. Wish there was a way for a guy like me to make a living there.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I have had a couple Taurus 44's pass through my hands and they were all destroyed by improper ammo usage. The COAL of most hot/heavy .44 mag ammo is too long for the cylinder length and ends up hitting the forcing cone and knocking the gun out of time. If it is a Taurus Tracker NEVER shoot any ammo with a bullet weight over 240 grains. If it is not the Tracker you probably could shoot heavier stuff but if it were me I'd find a nice cast 250(ish) grain slug at a moderate velocity and stick with that. JMHO.
    Tailwind, not exactly what I wanted to hear about my new handgun, but good to know. I'll take your advice and stick with the lighter loads. Thanks.