Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on spreader bars for halibut

Default Thoughts on spreader bars for halibut

I don't have any of these and have never used them, just curious what everybody that uses spreader bars think about them Do you think by using a spreader bar help you catch more halibut I saw that there are steel spreader bars and monofilament ones, which are better The monofilament spreader bars on halibut.net appear to be pretty simple to build myself, or would I be just wasting line and time Thank ahead for the input and opinions.

How about a link as I don't even know what one is......

Their use is to keep the bait from wrapping around the main line while dropping your bait to the bottom. Ive used them while drifting
    for Halibut in WA. In AK we anchor, so we just use a sliding weight rig. I made the SS ones myself with a pair of dikes and needle nose pliers to wrap around a piece of 3/8 bar.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

They seem like a giant pain in the rear to me. Just another thing you have to keep stored on your boat. I have seen them used and they do keep the weight/bait separated but I have done just fine with a 4 ft leader and the weight solid attached to the top of the gannon line I use for my leader.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I've used the stainless on other people's boats and they work fine. But they don't pop my cork.

And you're right about making your own with mono. That's what I do, both because they work well and I'm cheap. You don't have to buy many of the factory versions before you've paid for a crimping tool. I use 200# or 300# P-Line and make them up any way I want. Lighter leader isn't stiff enough in my book, but the 200# is perfect for average baits and the 300# will handle real chunks with no tangles.

I have never found a need for them. They seem like tangle magnets to me.

I use them and I like them.
    I bought mine at the Sportsmans show a few years ago from the halibut.net guys.
    I tie a large corkscrew swivel on my line. Then attach the spreader bar. When the tide let's up I remove the spreader bar and attach a jig and am back down quickly.
    Yes they have tangled my line a time or two. I find they are no worse than without them and maybe tangle a little less.
    I used to buy the crimped mono rigs from Trustworthy but after having several pull outs on the crimps I don't use mono setups anymore. I was even having 20 # fish pull crimps out.
    Now I use gaignon twine with a gaignon knot and haven't had any issues with that. And the fish don't seem to mind the gaignon twine either.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I
    I used to buy the crimped mono rigs from Trustworthy but after having several pull outs on the crimps I don't use mono setups anymore. I was even having 20 # fish pull crimps out.
    That's why I quit buying them and started making my own. Never had one of mine slip, but the store-bought versions are unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    Their use is to keep the bait from wrapping around the main line while dropping your bait to the bottom. Ive used them while drifting
    for Halibut in WA. In AK we anchor, so we just use a sliding weight rig. I made the SS ones myself with a pair of dikes and needle nose pliers to wrap around a piece of 3/8 bar.
    Oh ok thanks....Yes, I've seen them before and never really knew what they were used for....didn't look close enough. All I know is all this talk about halibut fishing is sure making me want to go. The inlet was like glass on Friday...!!!

I have been using them for about 4 years now - and I love them, sure it's another piece of hardware but they are cheap and besides dropping your rig to the bottom faster without any twisting is great. They are great for jigging too by turning them around it'll keep your bait off the bottom by 18" or so, but the real pleasure for me is when using them for bringing your fish into the boat. Makes it a lot easier for me when I can grab the bar and they are in.
    Tony

Here's my opinion as to what I like on the end of my line.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

maybe drag one of these on the bottom?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTdt...&feature=share

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Paul H - How do you like those stinger hooks on the end of those halibut rigs? Did you do that yourself? Do they seem to help?

Some of the jigs I bought came with the stingers, some I added. I think they are superior to having the hook on the bottom of the jig for a couple of reasons. You are less likely to hang up on the bottom and loose the jig, and more importantly your line is connected directly to the hook, so the jig doesn't act to pull the hook out of the fishes mouth. I know people have a concern that with the assist hook the fish will bite the jig and not get hooked. I can't think of a time that I've had one of those jigs hit and not hooked up. The jigs that have on more than one occasion had a short strike and no hookup are the leadheads with the large grub tails, which is why I put the stinger hook into some of the them.

As to the effectiveness of the "butterfly" jigs (I'm too cheap to get the shimanos and use either Chinese clones or benthos) here is a ling I caught on a 14 oz jig a few years back in PWS.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Suprised to not see more spreader bar love..

I love em. If you buy them, cut off the snap, as it's the weak point. Use 300lb mono to go from your swivel to the hook. Much less tangles than with some of the other halibut bait rigs out there. I store them in a plastic ammo box. About as easy as it comes, imo. I keep about 10-15 leaders with 16/0 circles rigs up at any given time. Takes about 60 seconds to tie a new one on if you have to cut a big one off.

Not that I have any expertise in this arena, but the wife and I have used the standard spreader bars offered at such box stores as "Sxxxxxmans Waxxhxxse". Along with a personalized Halibut rig, my wife put four 50# + halibut and a couple of very nice yellow eye into the boat while yours truly only managed a couple of ten to fifteen pounders in the boat, with the commercial offerings from the box store. I tried some southern remedies and some other offerings that were used to replace the spreader bar. None were as successful as putting a spreader back on and garnishing it with a custom halibut rig. Within ten minutes the two of us were hooked to the same fish, 63" 165#'s according to the book. A couple of additional posts should allow me to attach our photo's that we would love to share with the members of this forum.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    I don't have any of these and have never used them, just curious what everybody that uses spreader bars think about them Do you think by using a spreader bar help you catch more halibut I saw that there are steel spreader bars and monofilament ones, which are better The monofilament spreader bars on halibut.net appear to be pretty simple to build myself, or would I be just wasting line and time Thank ahead for the input and opinions.
    Why bother with a metal one when, like you say, you can just make your own "spreader rig" like I do:
    These won't tangle until the mono starts to get limp, but when that happens I just cut off all the hardware and make a new rig. Sure is a lot cheaper than a metal spreader bar.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

when I was fishing cook inlet the metal one I use one most of the time , less tangles when dropping the bait

So is the major advantage to the spreaders and rigs like Muttley posted just to avoid tangles?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    So is the major advantage to the spreaders and rigs like Muttley posted just to avoid tangles?
    That's why I use the rig I make. I use 400 lb. mono and it keeps the weight and bait spread apart so it doesn't twist as you drop it. Also keeps the weight bumping off the bottom with the bait dragging behind and not necessarily just laying on the bottom.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast