Thread: Base Camp Tent vs. Spike Camp Tent

Default Base Camp Tent vs. Spike Camp Tent

To anyone who has experience in this field, I am looking at tents to buy for hunting in Alaska. For my main tent, I am looking at the Cabela's Extreme Weather Tent, which seems like a reasonably-priced tent that will hold up in nasty weather. However, I'm not too familiar with the concept of a spike camp. Would this tent be the size to use in a spike camp, or should I go for something smaller and lighter? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barron

Default Spike Camp

Spike camp means a tent you will carry on your back and should be a 4-season with lots of tie outs. Look at North Face VE-25 or tents with similar features. I like to have two vestubules and two doors. A three man tent is perfect for two guys and gear. A good three man 4-season tent is not light but will weigh approximately 11 pounds. You may want a lighter 2-man tent for serious backpack hunting for dall sheep or mountain goats.

AKHUNTINFOOL - Thanks for the reply. This gives me a good base of info to start from. I appreciate the help.

Barron

When we go moose hunting with the wall tent and woodstove I have taken a small 2 man pup tent for a spike camp in case I wanted to hunt till dark and wake up in a spot where I thought there would be moose away from the wall tent. I now have a very small tent thats a morph between a bivy and a tent. Weighs about 2lbs and packs down small. I can carry it and my bag/pad in a day pack.

For sheep hunting I pack a good sized bombproof 10+lb 4 season single wall expedition tent. I will carry a little more weight in order to have a tent that may save my life in sheep country. Or if we have to hold up for a few days in the tent. I like the elbow room and being able to put 2 guys, packs and gear in the tent with room.