Thread: I'm looking for some advice

Default I'm looking for some advice

Hi all - I'm looking for some advice and I've always gotten honest well intended opinions from here so ..... now that I have all my Kimber Montana's sold I want to purchase one good 30.06 and I'm down to 3 choices (so don't even bother suggesting another make or model) they are:

Kimber 84L Montana 30.06 $1150

Kimber Mountain Ascent 30.06 approx $1600

Forbes Production Rifle 30.06 approx $1600 (waiting for an exact price from them)

It's down to one of these 3 and will have a simple Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40mm (already ordered) Thank you in advance !!

I posted information about the Forbes rifle a while back and it seems like a great gun- will hopefully be coming out in stainless as they have had a lot of requests. I personally don't like the way the Kimber Montana feels to shoulder it. I have not felt the Mountain Ascent or the Forbes and to be honest, as much as I want a Forbes in a 7mm-08 when they come out next year, I would like to shoulder one before shelling out that much.

Great choices and I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of them!

"maybe" I am just seeking someone to talk me into saving $500+ by simply getting an 84L Montana - I've worked with quite a few Montana's now and even the stubborn ones will eventually produce good accuracy for the diligent loader - I (and the rest of you) KNOW that the Forbes rifles will be A C C U R A T E though, that's Mr. Forbe's M.O.S. so THAT is what is nagging at me - I am an inpetuous lad so with the $$ in hand to pay for that Montana I am in "agony" .... somebody help me quick !

I would be the wrong person to talk to if you want to be talked into saving money on a gun you want! $500 is a lot of money but in the long run is nothing if the smiles and pride in ownership are with the more expensive rifle. I gave up long ago trying to justify toys- we all have stuff we don't need! Sounds like you want the Forbes. Just get the one you want and be sure to post how it shoots!
    BEE

Order up some Talley's while you're at it. I'd get the Kimber 84L Montana. You can get one now, and with Kimber's backorder on rifles as it is, I wouldn't be suprised if the Ascent even made it out on the market this year. The 84L 280 AI was announced last year and just recently you could now buy one online. And deciding between a stainless rifle and CM is a no-brainer, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Hi all - I'm looking for some advice and I've always gotten honest well intended opinions from here so ..... now that I have all my Kimber Montana's sold I want to purchase one good 30.06 and I'm down to 3 choices (so don't even bother suggesting another make or model) they are:

Kimber 84L Montana 30.06 $1150

Kimber Mountain Ascent 30.06 approx $1600

Forbes Production Rifle 30.06 approx $1600 (waiting for an exact price from them)

It's down to one of these 3 and will have a simple Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40mm (already ordered) Thank you in advance !!
    I DIG your humor!

S/S Montucky?!!? Or Mel's latest attempt?!!?

Wow.

Hmmmm....Saving you $500 on a new rifle. Well the Ascent is a stark departure form a traditional rifle, never shot one but looked them over. I think iit is foolish to spend more money and get less....weight that is. I don't for a minute believe that the Ascent is a better rifle than the Montana. I do think both are very good rifles but unless you just want to pay more (retail is $2000) to be the first on your block with a 4.5# rifle, there's no reason to pay more for the ascent. (Since you brough it up that would actually pay for a your good scope). I can still lug the Montana around where I trod.

I would prefer a SAK A7, B of T rifle.

As for the Forbes, it will likely be street price of at least $2500 and I cannot justify such a price, though I expect it to be a quality built rifle, I don't like the design. I'd rather have the Kimber. The Montana is a good buy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Parker-Hale 1200 Super. Make sure it has "Imported by JANA" on the top of the barrel.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...