Thread: Kenai trip in August/September

Default Kenai trip in August/September

I'm in the planning stages of a fishing trip to the Kenai Penninsula this year anytime between the middle of August to the middle of September...We'll have a suburban and be renting a cabin in Clam Gultch for two weeks. We want to target rivers and streams for silvers, rainbows and dollies..We'll be releasing everything we don't keep to eat that day.. We plan to hike the rivers and streams concentrating on bank fishing with a couple of float trip thrown in.....Never having been to this part of Alaska before I could use some advice....
    For background we're all decent fisherman with several great trips to Alaska under our belts...

What should be our target dates???

What type of success can we expect targeting this time of year???

We're also toying with the idea of renting a trailered raft for some daily floats but I'm concerned about river flows this time of year...

Would appreciate any and all suggestions....Thanks

Wow, what a tough question to answer, but the good news is that you can't go wrong! It kind of depends upon what your priorities are.... I could easily type a book here, but would rather not. If you want specific info go ahead and send me an email or pick up the phone anytime and I'll be happy to get you started
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

There you go, give mark3 a PM and he will steer you in the right direction. Don't forget thee fantastic Rainbow fishing in the upper Kenai river..

To answer a few of your questions....
    What should be our target dates???
    Anytime in August/September is great, but each week for a different reason
    Knowing your species priority will help lead you to the right time-frame.
    What type of success can we expect targeting this time of year???
    Very high success, but once again, different species in different locations at different times...
    We're also toying with the idea of renting a trailered raft for some daily floats but I'm concerned about river flows this time of year...
    River flows are generally moderate in the fall, but can change based on weather, etc. In general, you'll have opportunities for rafting on the Kenai or Kasilof without an issue.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

on the kenai september will be awesome, august will give you a ton of humpies, i like the first weeks of september, this is "bow time" and the humpies are pretty well gone with fresh silvers still being an option.