Thread: Sharks?

Default Sharks?

Hey all....

Last year I wasn't able to get out halibut fishing at all. I was just wondering how the shark problem has gotten in the Inlet...better? worse? I always go out of Anchor Point, and I used to always fish anchored up, but it seemed that once you caught a shark you may as well pull anchor and move. So the last few times I have drifted, which to me has never been as productive.

So how's it been....sharks still bad?

the last time i took a charter out of there everyone on the boat must have caught 50+ of those *******s, before the young captin decided we were done and not going to try another spot... everyone demanded a refund upon return

I assume we're talking spiny dogfish not salmon sharks? If not, sign me up for catching 50 of 'em!!

2 yrs ago from shore I caught lots of sharks while butt fishing. Last yr, no sharks from shore. 2 yrs ago in Cook Inlet, we also caght quite a few sharks. Last yr, in CI not so many-but some. Interesting too, is the fact most folks reported many more cod caught in CI and last yr was the 1st time I got cod from shore. Wonder if there are some sort of relationships there.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

We caught several sharks throughout the inlet last year. My rule of thumb was if we caught more than one in an hour's time, we moved. Once we moved, we generally didn't have a problem, but it seems there are more and more of them.

Has anyone here tried using them for bait? I have caught scores of halibut on strips of Irish Lord, and some were really large fish. Just wondering if dogfish would work as well?

Ted

I chunk-em up and put-em down, really helps cut down on shark bite.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I don't think I would mention what you do with your dogfish on a public forum. They are a regulated species and posting stuff like that could come back to haunt. I have seen plenty of them suffer some aggressive hook removal methods but when they were tossed back in the water they all appeared to be going back to the deep.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We caught less of them than we used to on my boat.
    Maybe one or two in half a dozen trips.
    Never tried to clean/eat one we just let them go. And they always swim away.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I wonder if the time of year has anything to do with running into higher populations? Has anybody read up on them at all?

Hey "kasilofchrisn" I take it that's your big boat in your avatar? I was gonna say let's go out together soon, but I only fish an 18' Valco Bayrunner. Do you put that big boat in at Deep Creek or head down to Homer/Seward?

Over a 5 day weekend with 2 boats, not a single dog fish caught. Lots of cod and more skates than I've caught in the previous 5 years combined.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Hey "kasilofchrisn" I take it that's your big boat in your avatar? I was gonna say let's go out together soon, but I only fish an 18' Valco Bayrunner. Do you put that big boat in at Deep Creek or head down to Homer/Seward?

It's not that big only 23'. It's also still sitting in my dads shop and still winterized.
    I was thinking more like mid/late April before I get it out for the season. I might be up for a trip after that though.
    Gotta get some more jigs made.

As for the time of season for sharks I haven't seen anything that would point to a time or weather pattern for them.
    According to my fiancee the Kenaitze subsistence net got hit with 72 of them all in one set at the end of May last year.

Watch out when the hooligan get washed out the river mouths, here come the greeneyes(dogfish). When that was happening over on the copper river flats guys would lose their entire gillnets to them, all you could get back was the corkline if you were lucky.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Watch out when the hooligan get washed out the river mouths, here come the greeneyes(dogfish). When that was happening over on the copper river flats guys would lose their entire gillnets to them, all you could get back was the corkline if you were lucky.
    That would probably explain the sharks in the net Steve as there net is the closest to the river mouth.
    Nice talking to you again yesterday Steve. Hope the show went well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That would probably explain the sharks in the net Steve as there net is the closest to the river mouth.
    Nice talking to you again yesterday Steve. Hope the show went well for you.
    Yeah good seeing you also, hope all went well for the wife. All the days at the show were very busy, i'm all talked out for a few days but its back to the potbarn this morning to build more pots and lines.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Charterboat Operator

odd to hear about the green eyes folowing the hoolys, typically in CI the later in the season the heavier the population for the dogfish, mid july on tends to be the worst, and usually wont find any until the end of June, perhaps that is because they are all at the river mouths

my son deckhanded out of ninilchik last summer. He kept some dogfish. He's eatin em. Mixes them in with the chowder - along with some skate.

I am trying to get him to eat it all up....I don't know why he kept that when he brought home hundreds of pounds of halibut - but he did so we are eating it.

I have witnessed several charters poke a hole in the dogfish heart before they let them go back "down".

aktyler - I am curious - can you PM me the name of the charter that you asked for your $$ back?