Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf fishing on the beaches

Default Surf fishing on the beaches

Having never heard about it in Alaska I ask the question. Using traditional surf rods "heavers" one can throw 8oz and bait about 100+ yards. Is there any fishing available that would make use of this style of fishing around Seward, Homer, or Kenai???

Default Surf fishing

Though I haven't hear about it in many years, when I was a kid, folks would go to Whiskey Gulch (close to Homer) and cast into the surf for kings. They would use very large T-Spoons. Now a days, folks just launch a boat and troll, but I am sure it would still work????? Probably late May, early June are your best bets...

Good luck

Good topic. I used to be a big fan of surf fishing in Texas. There were basically two schools of surf fishing. One, wading and casting for primarily speckled trout. The second was with the heavy stuff, where you would go for big sharks, rays, jacks and reds. I miss doing that. Easy livin' there.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Though I haven't hear about it in many years, when I was a kid, folks would go to Whiskey Gulch (close to Homer) and cast into the surf for kings......
    I've heard that too.

I've even heard of catching halibut this way in Resurrection Bay. Exactly where, I don't know. I think Chris Batin referred to it in his book "Alaska Angler", or some such title.

Back in the '70s my dad hooked something while surf fishing at Whiskey Gulch that, after being hooked, headed straight away perpendicular to the beach and a slow/steady pace. He was unable to stop the monster and ran out of line before we were able to get the boat in the water. When he came to the end of the spool, it broke the line without even a grunt. We never did figure out what it was, but figure it was either a good sized halibut or a seal. It didn't really run like a king, just slow and steady.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default +1 for Whiskey Gulch

Was there this August checking out the mouth of Stariski Cr. and there were quite a few silvers jumping in-between the creek mouth and the access road down the bluff. Some were darn near in the breaking surf. I fished for a bit with the fly rod, but no takers. Probably would have had some success chucking gear (couldn't quite cast far enough with a fly rod due to the wind that day). I would have come back that evening but had to be at hockey in Homer. Never made it back either because the silvers and steelies started to make an appearance in the Anchor and I focused my efforts on them.

I have a few friends who catch a king or two every summer trolling out of their kayaks right off the beach. Sounds exciting when a fish is hooked.

Any creek dumping dead salmon back into the ocean is good halibut fishing. We have surf fished for butt's before. A chunk of herring or salmon carcus, weight and a good arm to heav it out as far as you can and let er' sit. Wait for the famous rod tip dance and fish on! Last summer watched a guy catch and land a 139lbs halibut at the end of homer spit (lands end) he was jazzed! Fish are where you catch em'.

people do it off the end of the homer spit all the time...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default fishing the surf

My family used to spend a lot of time fishing the surf during August at Whiskey Gulch back in the 70's. We always caught fish. Mostly pinks and silvers, but I did watch a guy land a king that was as big as I was at the time (7). Still remember that like it was yesterday. Good memories and good times.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Charterboat Operator

Default Whiskey

whiskey is STILL a great beach to surf cast from, more so in early June and then again in early July. several locals fish it on a daily basis.
    catch rate is fairly good, june bait fishing and July chucking spoons-spinners. Largest i have personally seen from the beach was 50 1/2 inched and 62 pounds on my scale! close to an hour fight and over 1/2 mile of beach!

Ok, where is Whiskey Gulch and is there a creek flowing in near there? I might have to give this a try.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Whiskey gulch is between Deep creek and Anchor point. I don't remember the exact mile marker, but it is closer to Anchor point. The road down used to be a 4x4 only, but I think it is pretty well improved now. There was a little creek, but it was tiny coming out of a swamp up on top.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Anyone know of any surf fishing going on at the mouth of kenai?

Default surf fishing for kings

caught em casting spoons into the surf at English Bay in the mid seventies. only did it once but it was a trip I will never forget, what a kick.

Check out Stripers on line.com, in the west coast forums there is are few posts about some guys in Homer who surf fish for halibut, quite interesting.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I fish off the spit in the summer, when I'm waiting for the hole to open up (homer fishing lagoon). I catch some small yellowfin sole, pollock, and small (about 18 inches) Pacific cod. I've also seen halibut caught there but nothing as big as the one mentioned above. I hear the rivers are good as well for butts, and plan to try in two weeks. (most likely deep creek)

Default suef fishing in Homer

I couldn't find the thread on the striper forum. Do you have the URL?

What bait do you use on the Spit?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin fool View Post
    Thats it best surf fishing site out there!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up Chris Batin

Chris does cover it in his book " How to catch Alaska's Trophy Sportfish." Great book, I'm on my second one. Read the first one to shreads. OK, it got wet after 10 years and disinegrated. He's got a few hardbacks available I think. Just bought mine again, you might be able to get a deal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast