Thread: The New Jetboil Sol

Default The New Jetboil Sol

Hi, so, I'm Hikin' Jim. I saw this forum because people from it were visiting my blog (Adventures in Stoving). My blog is on backpacking type stoves (Whisperlites, Jetboils, etc.). I also write stove reviews for Seattle Backpackers Magazine.

I thought I'd introduce myself for those who haven't seen me on the No ISo-butane on air taxis thread and post a link to my Jetboil Sol review which follows:

The new Jetboil Sol

The new Jetboil Sol features a smaller, lighter pot in either all aluminum or in titanium with an aluminum heat exchanger. In my weighings, I found only about a 1oz difference between the two. Please see the table in my review for details. In addition to the smaller, lighter pot, both versions of the Sol feature this significantly lightened up burner with substantially improved piezoelectric ignition:

The new burner is good, but the regulator valve makes real cooking difficult. The adjustment is tricky to say the least in the lower end of the burner's range. Still, cooking can be done if one is willing to fiddle a bit.

For the review as well as all posts leading up to the review, see: The New Jetboil Sol

Hopefully, this is OK to post a link to my review. If people are not interested or there's a better way (or I shouldn't do it at all), I expect a mod or someone will tell me, and that's OK. Hopefully it's on topic and useful.

HJ

Good stuff. I picked up on your site a few days before the hazmat thread popped up.

For gear threads like this you should post then down on the Outdoor Gear forum near the bottom in the "other" section. You will find other stove threads that you can add your input on.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For gear threads like this you should post then down on the Outdoor Gear forum near the bottom in the "other" section. You will find other stove threads that you can add your input on.
    OK, thanks. I didn't catch that when I looked for the appropriate spot to post this.

Mods: If you'd like to move this thread, please do so.

HJ

I have been following your posts over at the campfire good to see you here. I just picked up a jetboil sol this winter and was reading your take on the meltdown stories etc.

and it looks like it got moved to the right section

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    I have been following your posts over at the campfire good to see you here. I just picked up a jetboil sol this winter and was reading your take on the meltdown stories etc.

and it looks like it got moved to the right section
    Nice to be here.

With regard to the melting issue, the all aluminum version of the Jetboil Sol doesn't appear to have any problems. The Jetboil Sol Ti which has a Ti pot with an aluminum heat exchanger seems to be a little sensitive. If all I were doing is boiling water, I don't think I'd be too worried about it, but if you want to actually cook with your Jetboil Sol, I might go with the all aluminum version.

The difference in weight is only 1oz or so, and the Ti version costs $30 extra.

HJ

Nice writeup Jim, and good to have you on the forums. I picked up the Sol a couple months ago and have used it on one day hike to try it out and then a week long caribou hunt on the north slope. I agree that its great for boiling water and very touchy to try and adjust the heat for anything else. I am not so sure about the igniter though. There were several times when mine would not ignite the thing at all and I had to do it manually with a lighter. It was sparking every time so I am not sure why it wouldnt light, but with a lighter it fired right up. I may try to bend the top of the igniter over a little and see if the spark is just not in the right path to light it... Other than that it works great!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    Nice to be here.

With regard to the melting issue, the all aluminum version of the Jetboil Sol doesn't appear to have any problems. The Jetboil Sol Ti which has a Ti pot with an aluminum heat exchanger seems to be a little sensitive. If all I were doing is boiling water, I don't think I'd be too worried about it, but if you want to actually cook with your Jetboil Sol, I might go with the all aluminum version.

The difference in weight is only 1oz or so, and the Ti version costs $30 extra.

HJ
    The weight difference vs cost difference is why I got the aluminum over the Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Nice writeup Jim, and good to have you on the forums. I picked up the Sol a couple months ago and have used it on one day hike to try it out and then a week long caribou hunt on the north slope. I agree that its great for boiling water and very touchy to try and adjust the heat for anything else. I am not so sure about the igniter though. There were several times when mine would not ignite the thing at all and I had to do it manually with a lighter. It was sparking every time so I am not sure why it wouldnt light, but with a lighter it fired right up. I may try to bend the top of the igniter over a little and see if the spark is just not in the right path to light it... Other than that it works great!
    What kind of temperatures where you in and at what elevation? I've seen some problems with cold and with higher elevations (above 7000 feet).

One thing that seems to help is to turn the gas up high to get things to start and then adjust downward from there. It also helps to bring a lighter.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    The weight difference vs cost difference is why I got the aluminum over the Ti.
    Yeah. Sometimes I think the Ti version is more about marketing than anything else.

HJ

hikin jim, if I buy a jetboil sol stove with the aluminum pot can I also use my jetboil flash pot on the sol stove? just curious because the sol pot seems to small for mountain house/hot drink combo or oatmeal/coffee. thanks.

Casey

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    What kind of temperatures where you in and at what elevation? I've seen some problems with cold and with higher elevations (above 7000 feet).

One thing that seems to help is to turn the gas up high to get things to start and then adjust downward from there. It also helps to bring a lighter.

HJ
    I am sure that had alot to do with it. We were camped at -10 to -30 degrees, but my buddy had the original jetboil and his igniter worked fine. I will have to do some more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by 340 WBY View Post
    hikin jim, if I buy a jetboil sol stove with the aluminum pot can I also use my jetboil flash pot on the sol stove? just curious because the sol pot seems to small for mountain house/hot drink combo or oatmeal/coffee. thanks.

Casey
    Yes, the flash pot and the original pot will both still work with the Sol. I saved mine for the same reason. If I am cooking for myself the sol pot is great, but if I am boiling water for more than one I bring my original pot.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by 340 WBY View Post

Casey
    Yes.

All of the JB pots are compatible except the GCS and Helios series pots. All of the mug shaped ones (original PCS, Flash, Sumo, Sol, Sol Ti, and Zip) are interchangeable. They've got a new mug type pot, the Sumo, that is 1.8 L. It's pretty nice if you have a group of 2 or 3 (maybe 4 in a pinch).

Here's a Sumo mounted on my old original type Jetboil PCS burner. The newest mounted on the oldest.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    I am sure that had alot to do with it. We were camped at -10 to -30 degrees, but my buddy had the original jetboil and his igniter worked fine. I will have to do some more testing.
    The original ignitor worked and the new one didn't!? Whoa, that's a first.

Yeah, Piezo ignitions are great -- when they work. I've had better luck with the new one, but I still always bring a lighter, matches, etc.

HJ

The jetboil is not bad but it is definatly not made for the alaskan winters it has a dendancy to freeze at the most inconvient times

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmiel View Post
    The jetboil is not bad but it is definatly not made for the alaskan winters it has a dendancy to freeze at the most inconvient times
    Yep. 20F is about as low as you want to go. You can go lower on a fresh canister, but as the canister runs toward empty, you're really pushing it at 20F.

HJ