Thread: 325 wsm

Default 325 wsm

Your thoughts on the caliber, as I may be able to pick one up.

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Your thoughts on the caliber, as I may be able to pick one up.

Thanks.....
    Love mine, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. Hand load 200 grain Accubonds for it at 3100fps, killed about everything here with mine. Would use it for all except big coastal browns.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I see that's it's a lot like my 8mmMag, which I too have killed all AK game I've gone after with....(except a goat that I just plain out missed) Also slammed a few "smaller" brownies with it as backup when I was guiding. I load 200 gr. Nosler partitions in mine. I loaded up on the Partitions years ago or I would have gone with the Accubonds for sure. I don't even think the Accubonds were even out when I bought all my Partitions.

That said, I am still happy with my old rifle, but I'm thinking I would like to get my boy something, and ran across this possibility.

Thanks for the input.....

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Love mine, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. Hand load 200 grain Accubonds for it at 3100fps, killed about everything here with mine. Would use it for all except big coastal browns.
    What kind of pressures are you getting at 3100 fps?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What kind of pressures are you getting at 3100 fps?
    I don't have a pressure gauge, but this load shows no signs of high pressure, ie.. stiff bolt or flattened primers etc... Have fired over a 100 reloads with this recipe.

Founding Member

The downside to the 325 wsm is the lack of a good bullet selection to choose from whether you are reloading or just buying factory ammo at high prices. Though, like what stid is shooting, you can obviously do it all with the 200gr accubonds. A 300 wsm makes more sense, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The downside to the 325 wsm is the lack of a good bullet selection to choose from whether you are reloading or just buying factory ammo at high prices. Though, like what stid is shooting, you can obviously do it all with the 200gr accubonds. A 300 wsm makes more sense, to me.
    I messed with both the 325 and the 300WSM before I purchased mine. I ended up with the .300 based mostly on bullet/ammunition concerns. A lot of times I wish I'd opted for the .325 as everything I shoot out of my .300 is also readily available in 8mm. If the rifle ever needs a new tube, it's proabably about even odds it'll come back in .325. I can't complain about my .300 as everything I've shot with it was DRT though...so maybe its a moot comparison.

I know the 8mm selection is smaller but for hunting use you can load ABs, PTs, TSXs and SGKs as well as several makes of plain Jane cup and core bullets. What more could a guy want or need?

For a "one rifle, one load" kind of hunter the .325 with 200ABs is a tough act to beat, of course the same could be said of the .300/180AB
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

More than enough options for the re-loader,, everything from 150 grain to 250 grain Woodleigh Bullets.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=9555
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    More than enough options for the re-loader,, everything from 150 grain to 250 grain Woodleigh Bullets.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=9555
    Have you used the Swift A-Frame or the Barnes TSX at all?

Have you used the Swift A-Frame or the Barnes TSX at all?
    Yes Sir,,,

Founding Member

Hi guys, new to the forum. i just bought myself an x-bolt in 325WSM. i was looking around to see what they offered in bullets and noticed that woodleigh offers a 250 gr bullet. was wondering if anyone has tried a load with anything larger than the 220 gr?
    Last edited by akminer; 06-27-2012 at 10:55. Reason: misspelled