Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mat su king regs: single hook?

Default mat su king regs: single hook?

is more than one single hook allowed on a lure? kwik fish normally have a place for two (single or treble) hooks

If the regs state the following: unbaited, single hook, atificial lure only... means can't use bait, the lure can only have one hook (one point) on it (you must remove all treble hooks) and the lure must be made of an atificial material only. Hope this helps... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by flynfish99 View Post
    is more than one single hook allowed on a lure? kwik fish normally have a place for two (single or treble) hooks
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

You have to remove the second hook and replace the other one with single (no treble). Just like the Kenai.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If you want to run a kwikfish, take both trebles off and put one siwash on the tail. I've seen people put the hook on the belly instead, but I use the tail loop. Attach it with either two split rings or a swivel. No scent oils, gels, or wraps.

Gamakatsu will soon be unveiling what will probably be the single-best, solitary, single-point hook to mount on a KwikFish.

And yes, it belongs on the tail screw-eye.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, I was trying to find some of those sickle hooks I had seen on photos of kwikfish. I believe you had tried some of them, at least I think they were your pics. How do they compare to regular Gami siwash and where can I find some?

The sickles you have seen in my pics are Matzuo sickles.

Right design, but horribly inconsistent quality control with that brand. Some of the recent lots are so brittle that half or more of the eyes break upon squeezing them closed. So now you get one closed.... what's gonna happen when that king of a lifetime strikes?

Gamakatsu has a better one on the way.... patience, Grasshopper.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Patience my %^& - the snow is meltin!

That makes me question their octopus sickles I used in making some streamers this winter. I didn't have any issues with breakage last year on the few bait rigs I made, but I could have just been lucky.

I'd rather wait or use the regular Gami siwash on my spinners and plugs this summer. Now, to decide about the flies....

Check out Mustad hooks.....much better quality and sharpness than Gamakatsu!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    You have to remove the second hook and replace the other one with single (no treble). Just like the Kenai.
    this is spot on and easy to do, and not to mention they sell vibrex and pixxies with a single hook. All these steps should have been put in place before now. I think it is safe to safe we are getting to a point where if things aren't done fast we will lose the dna from the big kings if we haven't all ready, not to mention runs altogether. Case in point the slot limit on the Kenai..........how many trophy kings where caught on the kenai last year? Any one know? The slot limit has been in place long enough we should have have seen an indication in the run last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    this is spot on and easy to do, and not to mention they sell vibrex and pixxies with a single hook. All these steps should have been put in place before now. I think it is safe to safe we are getting to a point where if things aren't done fast we will lose the dna from the big kings if we haven't all ready, not to mention runs altogether. Case in point the slot limit on the Kenai..........how many trophy kings where caught on the kenai last year? Any one know? The slot limit has been in place long enough we should have have seen an indication in the run last year.
    Unfortunately people probably do not report their catches like they should be. You still hear of them being caught down there but no doubt the big ones are probably in trouble. Its a shame that the people that care will stop fishing it but others who are either not aware or dont care about the run strength will continue to over harvest a troubled fish.

Hopefully they can actually enforce this rule. The only place I ever see troopers regularly is on the Kenai.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

In regards to the tropper's regular visits on the Kenia, thats one of the biggest money making rivers in the AK. That's why they are there. I hit the big su 6 times last year and the little su 2 times and never saw one trooper on either river. Anybody see any troppers last year on either of those two river? Just my opinion... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Unfortunately people probably do not report their catches like they should be. You still hear of them being caught down there but no doubt the big ones are probably in trouble. Its a shame that the people that care will stop fishing it but others who are either not aware or dont care about the run strength will continue to over harvest a troubled fish.

Hopefully they can actually enforce this rule. The only place I ever see troopers regularly is on the Kenai.

Just because you don't see troopers doesn't mean they aren't there, just ask the Mat Valley guide who just had to forfiet his boat and lost his license for two years. Browse through the trooper dispatch reports that are available online (start with 6/23/2011 and scroll down towards the bottom of the page to find AK Wildlife Trooper reports):
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/dispatch/index10.aspx

Bob,
    I see the troopers all the time on the Lil Su and often on the Deshka. In the winter they fly the area regularly in a supercub and you will see them alot using snowmachines out of Deshka Landing.
    BK

Back to the valley streams and rivers. I really hope they beef up their presence up at the Yetna/Lake Creek area. There are a number of lodges up there catering to Europeans that do not seem to give a darn about rules and regulations. There's also at least one guide up there routinely vilolating the regs. (Yes its been reported). Hopefully this will improve the long term outlook for the king runs.

Hu, I must be blind then in the summertime and I don't hit the rivers in the wintertime much. My body can't handle a snowmachine anymore. Guess I should be keeping a better eye out for them in the summer though... Thanx for the notice... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bob,
    I see the troopers all the time on the Lil Su and often on the Deshka. In the winter they fly the area regularly in a supercub and you will see them alot using snowmachines out of Deshka Landing.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    In regards to the tropper's regular visits on the Kenia, thats one of the biggest money making rivers in the AK. That's why they are there. I hit the big su 6 times last year and the little su 2 times and never saw one trooper on either river. Anybody see any troppers last year on either of those two river? Just my opinion... "fishon"
    Yes sir I have………they float down streams on one man rafts, and run around the big su, saw them on the deshka a few times as well. I even saw them out late too around oct checking people out.

Riton! Riton! I will definately keep a better watch out for them. Not that I am doing anything wrong, its just that I like to know that they are around... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Yes sir I have………they float down streams on one man rafts, and run around the big su, saw them on the deshka a few times as well. I even saw them out late too around oct checking people out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Back to the valley streams and rivers. I really hope they beef up their presence up at the Yetna/Lake Creek area. There are a number of lodges up there catering to Europeans that do not seem to give a darn about rules and regulations. There's also at least one guide up there routinely vilolating the regs. (Yes its been reported). Hopefully this will improve the long term outlook for the king runs.
    Yes they do! The Euros don't care and the lodge owners turn a blind eye and a deaf ear! **** its not only the Euros, guys come up from Oregon and Washington to poach as well. They ruined their own fisheries and Matsu Valley could be next!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast