Thread: Alaskan 240/260 Motor Hieght?

Default Alaskan 240/260 Motor Hieght?

I've been looking at my motors and was wondering where you guys with the twin 115 setup have your motors set at. First hole or have you raised it up some to get better performance. Mine seemed to be running a little deep when we were in Homer a few weeks ago, so I raised them to the second hole yesterday. With a straight board under the boat and the motors trimmed and the cav plate level, it's about an inch and a half above the bottom of the boat. I've read that it's good to have your cav plate raised an inch for every 30"s to the rear of the boat. True? Ideas?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

motors.JPG

Rob,

I'm not at home right now so I can't run out side and look but here is a cropped picture. Hopefully you can blow it up and it will help you out. If you can't send me your email and I will send you a pic with more pixals. Just left click it, save it to your desk top, then open it up and make it 400% and you should be able to see bolts very well.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I was hoping you would chime in. Looks like yours are set at the lowest position. Hmm. I guess I'll giver her a try on the 20th when we head out of Whittier.

Rob
    MMSI# 338232859

Your Welcome Rob! Hope your first outing is Awesome, uneventful mechanically, and pots full of shrimp. I hope to make it out on the weekend of the 12th of May.

I'm sure we will be back out there then too. I think the only thing I have left to do is replace the seals on my steering then I'm good to go.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I'm sure we will be back out there then too. I think the only thing I have left to do is replace the seals on my steering then I'm good to go.

Not sure if your aware but, Carry some extra power steering fluid, that not the right name for it but read your manual. Have the proper fluid. Make sure you also have the small hose that screws into the steering column and into the bottle or a small funnel. Two years ago, for some reason, my steering started to get hard and then finally almost impossible. Had to limp into Seldovia and get some fluid. At first I had no idea what the issue was until I read up on the manuals that come with the boat. Last year it happened again out at Seward, but it took me a few minutes to fill up. On the Hewescraft forum, other folks have had the same issue. Hope to see you on the water soon. I bet your wife is chomping at the bit to get on the water as well. I know my wife is. LOL Happy wife, happy life.

That's Seastar power steering fluid, you want to get the right stuff, if your steering system is stock like mine. Most marine stores have it, or you can get at Amazon. The filler hose comes with a bottle of it, I think...and I got one with my boat too. Too bad the dealer didn't tell me what it was I had the same experience as Mark, hard steering etc and found my steering column was nearly empty...yet, there was only extremely minor leakage at the motor's end of the steering mechanism. You can download complete bleeding instructions online from Seastar...what happen is that any air in the line comes to the steering column. After you have purged/bled the system, you may need to add a little more...fluid should be full at the little screw in plug in the steering column just in front of the wheel. Check it often...something I was NOT told when I bought my boat new! Have I mentioned purging/bleeding the system after you add fluid? you gotta do it, not hard at all...

I was outside today messing around and I saw my steering cylinder drip once. I knew they were leaking after the last trip, but leaking just sitting there? Come on..... So, I ordered the new seal kit from Amazon. It was the cheapest place around. I can't believe you can't just replace the rubber seal in those glands. Anyway, have the instructions already and plan on changing everything out next weekend. Looks like a pretty easy fix. Just messy.
    MMSI# 338232859

Once you get the cylinders resealed and filled and purged, then after that you don't have to do the full purge again, which required cracking the bleed nuts at the engine steering cylinders...just run the wheel left and right a few times, top off again and you are ready to go. After the first refill or so, check after every 5 days of running, as long as you don't see any leaks, and that should be fine. Once I got mine fully purged, I refilled once and it was good all season...

Sorry, can't help on the mounting height, and I have 135 Honda's anyway....snow is much higher than the motors where my boat is stored in Valdez (right, Darren??)

I bet you are right about the snow level. I raised mine to the second hole. I think I might take her for a spin this weekend and see how it does. If it's too high then I guess I'll put it back and be happy with the way it runs. I was just hoping to get a couple hundred RPM out of it by raising the motor. On a side note, have you ever noticed a lot of water in your extended transom? When I pulled my covers, I found it to be full of ice. I pulled the plug and dumped some hot water in there and got it all cleaned out. I guess I need to seal the covers up a little. The gasket on there looks a little flat...
    MMSI# 338232859

-Not sure of my motor my height position, but you got me thinking?
    -Had similar issue with steering, it didn't get as bad as what some of you mentioned, just wasn't as smooth. I filled & purged that helped some.
    -I get water in my transom too, I pulled the drain plug out last fall. On the list to fix this spring.
    -Saw in another trend you mentioned storage space, I found a post just recently where a guy took this ice box out, added shelves & doors. There looks to be a lot of unused space under the sink, I'm going to look into doing something similar.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

EJPainter. That was probably me that removed the ice box. I put a couple shelves in there with some doors. Works great.
    MMSI# 338232859

Dang, Rob, now you got me wondering why I pulled my covers off the extended transom last year, no water in there, I do remember that, and THINK I used a "stays flexible" marine sealant around them when I put the covers back on.

It would seem that if you gain rpms by raising your motors, it must be from the beginning of cavitation, the motor and props didn't change, so if your rpms go up, must be getting less of a bite of water!

I agree on cavitating if raised to high. Although last time I had it out, it looked like they were running really deep. I've read that if you raise them a hole, you have less motor in the water less drag, therefore an increase in RPM. True? No idea. But I'm gonna try to run it this weekend and see the results. Sitting in the driveway with a straight board underneath, it's looking pretty good right now.

Yep, I'm going to put some flexible sealant on my covers to prevent them from leaking again. I'm sure all that ice/water didn't help my GPH any at all.
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob,

If you wanna shell out a little dough for less drag, get a CMC powerlift. I had one on my first boat with the BF90 on it. Cost about 400 a motor to do. You start with your motors down deep and when you trim out your motor, then you start lifting your motors while adjusting your trim. You will find your speed will increase with less RPM's inproving your fuel burn due to less drag. But, when you stop or slow down enough for your ass end to drop you will have to lower your motors or you will cavitate. I loved mine, but I personally can't justify installing a pair now. I had thought about it when I was buying the boat, but I had already spent enough money. Its great also, when you get in shallow areas and you can lift your motors up about 5.5 inches while putting along. It was a real advantage at low tide in the harbor in Homer while backing out of a transient slip and you don't have much room to the bank as it gets shallow quick. Just a thought.

When you are running on step the water should rise about 1" per 12" back from the end of the hull, so at 30" you could be 2.5" high and should still get good clean water to the props. If you are too low, you are probably experiencing excess drag from the motors and not getting the fuel economy or performance that you could out of your motors. Your mounting holes are 3/4" apart so you won't get it exactly, but you can get close and err on the deeper side or you'll end up ventilating when conditions aren't perfect and you'd rather stay hooked up.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Thanks for the confirmation on the water height. It ran pretty good before at the stock height, but looked really low in the water. So, I figured a little experimenting couldn't hurt.

Those CMC Powerlifts would be great but ouch, that's a lot of gas money.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Not sure if your aware but, Carry some extra power steering fluid, that not the right name for it but read your manual. Have the proper fluid. Make sure you also have the small hose that screws into the steering column and into the bottle or a small funnel. Two years ago, for some reason, my steering started to get hard and then finally almost impossible. Had to limp into Seldovia and get some fluid. At first I had no idea what the issue was until I read up on the manuals that come with the boat. Last year it happened again out at Seward, but it took me a few minutes to fill up. On the Hewescraft forum, other folks have had the same issue. Hope to see you on the water soon. I bet your wife is chomping at the bit to get on the water as well. I know my wife is. LOL Happy wife, happy life.
    Had same problem a whitter dock. As I was backing out I lost control of steering. Lucky for me I just back straight into a slip.
    Made a quick call to a friend and they said look at steering fluid. It was empty. Had some on boat and as soon as I put it in, I had steering back.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I took mine apart today to replace the seal glands. The old fluid was some nasty stuff. I picked up 3 quarts of the Seastar fluid to put it all back together tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep a bottle on board from now on. Weird thing is that when I took it apart, there were fish scales inside the glands. I'm sure that is a good reason why they were leaking so much. Just another reason not to use pressure washers around stuff like that. Not sure if that's what happened, but just weird.
    MMSI# 338232859