Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Hunting in Alaska

Default Resident Hunting in Alaska

Hey everyone. I am a highschool student in Pennsylvania, however I plan on moving to Alaska after college because I want to take a different route in life then most of my friends and family from my area. I am an avid outdoorsmen and I have heard of the world class hunting and fishing Alaska has to offer. However most of the stuff online about it is about charters and guided hunts. I was wondering if as a resident if it is possible for you on days off for you to pick up your gear and head out for a random day hunt like we do down here. I feel like everything I read online is about 6 day long hunting expaditions and having to take bush planes to the most remote places in the state to hunt. Are there places like the game lands we have here where you can drive in, go hunting, and not have to worry about massive expeditions, costing hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Im sure this will ened up being a stupid question to you guys but I just want to know what I am geting myself into before I make the big descision of moving thousands of miles away from home. Thanks!!!

O Bjennings, your mind is going to be blown. Here is the link for our ADFG site, here you will learn a whole bunch about our wildlife and hunting/fishing regs.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main

And about being able to just go hunting and fishing on your days off......We will be glad to welcome you as an Alaskan. There is so much public land up here, it will blow your mind coming from the private owned lands of the lower 48. This forum is full of stuff you need, just keep reading and have fun researching. There are also tons of books about hunting and fishing up here. good luck and have fun.

Welcome to the forums! Good plan on coming to Alaska as soon as college is done. As a resident, once you get that status, Alaska is your oyster. The forums are filled with weekend warriors, including myself before I went bush. You can be hiking and hunting from even Anchorage in an hour or less drive even from Anchorage. If you live most any other place in the state, usually stepping out your door will be good enough to start hunting.

Sounds like you have a few years before you can get up here, unless you really do the smart thing and just come up here to go to college! UAF, UAA, UAS and many other good university's are up here.

Good luck and we'll see you when you get here.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

A of it will depend on where you choose to live. I live about 15 miles north of Anchorage, and while I love where I live, the opportunities for day hunts in my area are slim. There are a couple of tightly regulated hunts nearby, but in order to just pack up my gear and go hunting I usually need to drive at least a few hours. Additionally, the closer you are to Anchorage and/or Fairbanks, the more company you may have. It's not that you can't find solitude - if you are willing to put in miles on your feet, you can find some space - but Alaska's road system is very limited, so there are only so many places for road system hunters to go. Lastly, you should understand that game densities in Alaska are comparatively low. Instead of deer densities of 10-20 per square mile, count on moose densities of 1 per square mile. There are exceptions, of course, but it can take a lot of time and work to find a legal animal depending on what species you're hunting. All of that being said, it's an amazing place and I would never choose to live anywhere else. Welcome aboard!

Alaska is a huge place. There are a lot of options. It's been pointed out in the posts above that if you live on the road system you will have company out in the field to some degree or another. However, if you end up locating yourself in a community off the road system or in southeast (on the water) you will usually find more elbow room. Of course the employment opportunities are more limited in these remote areas, but, in my experience, I've noticed that anyone who's willing to hustle and isn't afraid of work will make it just fine. You mentioned that your an "avid outdoorsman" I assume that includes hunting and fishing. What about other outdoor pursuits such as trapping, guiding, skiing, commercial fishing (I'm thinking of things that might provide a source of income)? Are you college bound? Whatever you do in the meantime stay out of debt. Debt is one of the biggest dream killers there is. Good luck.

Bjennings,

While the Bush trips and week plus long expeditions get the bulk of the press and discussion...rest assured day hunts are entirely possible. In fact, most of my trips are day hunts.

The closer you live to larger cities will make that more difficult and the farther you get from them it generally gets easier- of course, earning a living is just the opposite!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Whatever you do in the meantime stay out of debt. Debt is one of the biggest dream killers there is. Good luck.

Amen and +1
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

First off welcome and where are you from in Pa? I was the same way out of highschool although the air force took me a different route. As far as day hunts go I've been on two 6 day hunts and 1 day hunt. And I've only been successful on the day hunt. Although you could also chalk that up to being a rookie in Alaska. This is way different from the white tail I hunted early in life. Regardless good luck and start saving. You will find out that the gear you need is not cheap!

-Matt

If you are going to college you will end up in a big city here just like the big cities down south but with a view.For Alaska a one year trade school in motor repair,welding etc will let you live where you can hunt out your back door.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm ex PA, myself. Spent about 25 + years hunting in the Waynesburg area & still do when I'm home the week after Thanksgiving.
    As everyone will quickly point out - things are different in AK. Day trips are possible, BUT not in the same sense as you are used to. As someone else said, you're not going to drive 15 minutes and be in prime (or maybe even marginal) game territory. Day trips are more possible if you're bush or village based (off the road system). Big toys (snow machine, 4 wheeler, jet or air boat, etc) will get you into game territory quicker, but are a lot more expensive that good boots.
    You said you're going to go to college; what do you want to study? Engineering, medical or teaching will get you a job most anywhere in the state.
    Pick up a copy of the Alaska Gazeeter (a topographical atlas of the state); read the forums & match what you can with place names; get a realistic idea of the territory/distances involved. After you have enough posts, pm different posters (whose opinions you have come to respect) for specific questions. Check out Craigs List for AK employment ideas.
    Alaska is a great place to live and while my ashes may someday permanently reside in PA, I never will, again.

Just to give you an idea of what is "possible".....When hunting was good, I've killed 6 bulls (moose) less than 2 miles from my house where I walk in. And I killed a couple more a couple miles further away....and I live on the road system. I killed a beautiful bull caribou on what was supposed to be a day hike where I drove less than 2 hours to where we started walking. I used to kill rams which usually would take the equivalent of a "long" weekend.

As what was mentioned, it can be done. It just really depends on where you want to hang your hat.

Quote Originally Posted by bjennings2012 View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a highschool student in Pennsylvania, however I plan on moving to Alaska after college because I want to take a different route in life then most of my friends and family from my area. I am an avid outdoorsmen and I have heard of the world class hunting and fishing Alaska has to offer. However most of the stuff online about it is about charters and guided hunts. I was wondering if as a resident if it is possible for you on days off for you to pick up your gear and head out for a random day hunt like we do down here. I feel like everything I read online is about 6 day long hunting expaditions and having to take bush planes to the most remote places in the state to hunt. Are there places like the game lands we have here where you can drive in, go hunting, and not have to worry about massive expeditions, costing hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Im sure this will ened up being a stupid question to you guys but I just want to know what I am geting myself into before I make the big descision of moving thousands of miles away from home. Thanks!!!
    i dont have much to add...but i was once a boy in texas with a dream. now i'm a man in alaska living that dream. what your getting yourself into is a place with opportunity for an outdoorsman. the amount of opportunity you take advantage of is soley up to you. good luck man, i hope you find in alaska what so many of us have found...freedom and opportunity.

as many others have stated, there are certainly places with opportunity for quick "spare time" hunting and fishing trips. the sucess and fun you gain from those will likely depend on the skills you learn in the mean time....and plain old stubborness and the desire to get out there and do it and learn from it. good luck

your situation is familiar to me. a few years ago i up and moved from my home in Montana to the far flung reaches of AK. I never wanted to be on the road system and didn't really care for anchorage and i don't regret moving up here at all. many have given you good advice already i can tell you that everything up here involves (in general) much more time and planning than the lower 48. I used to get up drive an hour go elk hunting and be home for lunch...sometimes with an elk. This is not always that easy up here. Most trips involve lots of fuel, boating, snowmachining, or flying long distances even when you live in remote alaska. as brian said game densities can be extremely low and i can't keep trak of how many 100+ mile snowmobile trips i've taken and seen exactly squat. day trips might be ok on the road system but i have no experience with that. Even in the bush it's generally more efficient to be out longer jsut due to the cost and time of getting to good places. good luck. if you want to get remote i would consider health care or teaching those may open the most doors to travel all around the state and offer pretty decent income to do what you want. buying gear and modes of transportation up here can eventually cost tens of thousands of dollars. great hunting and fishing but sometimes logistically it's a nightmare.

Thanks for the info and I am going for Secondary Education in History, so pretty much to become a hischool history teacher

I am from the Pittsburgh area, more specifically Carnegie

Thanks everyone for the info and support. I guess all me research saying Alaskans are the friendliest people in the world wasn't lying lol. If you have anything else please tell me. I need all the info in the world cause no matter how often I research I still feel clueless on alot of matters. I can't wait for the day I step off of that plane and take my first steps into paradise. Im not sure what part of Alaska I am going to live in, probably wherever my career takes me. But never the less I can't wait. I can't wait to meet you guys lol

I live in a populated area and my daughter shot 2 moose the same day 25 miles from the house this past season- It is possible if you do your research. Putting in for a few drawings and a little luck helps as well.

The sooner you get here the better or you will be like me, after bouncing all over the globe, tiring to retire from the military here, in the paradise under the norhtern lights. The only way to get me out of the state is with a stick og TNT in my *****

bjennings Dream big young man really big and your possibilities will be endless.Lots of folks on here were in your shoes including myself. I am from inner city phila,moved to Alaska after school and a short stint in the USCG made Alaska my home. I started working for a hunting guide nearly 20 years ago chasing my dream of becoming a hunting guide and I now look back at all the things this state has given me.It takes work and determination but it is all in what you want to make of it. I have met some of the greatest people and have been lucky enough to acomplish my goals.There are tons of hunting oppurtunities even from the road system,heck just being able to be out there in this country is a blessing in it self.I will give you my personal email and if you ever need to ask anything dont hesitate to write.thesheephunter@ yahoo.com
    Dave

While the big wild part of the state gets all the press with their bou, and moose, and sheep, (ok so I admit I might be completely sheep obsessed right now) SE is great for day hiking. We have either very little road or logging road right from "downtown". and while we don't have as many big game options, I can harvest 6 deer yearly and have shot deer in the alpine I see out my window every day its not pouring down rain... Its all good up here, very different from there, and very different area to area. It makes it interesting and fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast