Thread: What .44 factory loads for black bear?

Default What .44 factory loads for black bear?

Hey all,

I just decided that I am going to use my .44 to hunt with off of my bait stand this year. This will be the first time and the first game that I have shot with a pistol.

I will not have time to do any reloading this spring so I want to use a good quality factory round. I have not looked into this before so figured I would start here.

For those of you that hunt with this or simular calibers, what round would you use? I want superior reliability so will spend the extra money for good ammunition. Obviously penetration and turning lungs to jelly is my goal.

The shot will be 5-20 yards and I would prefer to shoot a broadside double lung shot. The pistol is a S&W 629, 6.5" barrel and will have a crimson trace laser, although I am very confident in my iron sites shooting as well.

I plan to buy the rounds in Fairbanks and will spend some time at the range to get everything in line so the first shot counts.

Thank you for all.

I will also search through this forum for info as this is actually the first time I have logged into this particular one.

Jason

Sentry has a good selection of hunting ammo by makers like Buffalo Bore, CorBon and others. Another good load that you might be able to find cheaper is Federal CastCore 300gr. 300gr flat nose hard cast. I remember buying them on sale at Freds years ago and they ran 1300fps out of my Ruger SBH.

One other thing. You better take the laser off your gun before you head into the woods. Just a friendly reminder.

Good luck on your handgun hunt. I'm hoping to score on a blackie with my 45 Colt this year as well. It's be a first for me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Corbon is always a good choice. Also I like the barnes bullets. If you are planning a lung shot then an expanding HP or SP is what I would go with. Might have the last few in the cylinder loaded with flat nose hard cast lead in case things go south.

Also, I don't think lasers are legal but check the regs cause I'm not certain.

My personal favorite factory load for this kind of work would be Corbon's 280gr BondedCore FN. It's designed for medium sized game and has been very accurate in every gun I've shot it in. Hardcast bullets are great for penetration and bone busting but IMO thats not really required for black bear like it is for their Bigger brown cousins. Blackbears are not heavily boned and in general not terribly large. My point being that it doesn't take much penetration to get into the pump station on a blackie and expansion is not a bad thing once the bullet is inside. I have a friend who has taken 2 blacks and one brownbear with his S&W 629, all with one shot each. His favorite load, Winchester whitebox 240gr JHP. Wouldnt be most peoples first pick but it's hard to argue with those results.

Thanks for the heads up on the laser. Would have eventually looked that up but was in the dark until just now. Guess that will save me some bucks as I was gonna buy one.

This will be my last year hunting black bears in AK for a few so I figure it will be a good time to try a pistol hunt. Next fall I will try to get to MN to hunt fall bears!

Snyd what bullet do you plan to use for your hunt?

I am on the same thought process of an expanding bullet as I want to do massive tissue damage to the lungs. We have killed from 5 to 6.5 foot bears in there so I think a quality expanding bullet would get in there.

Again thanks for the heads up.

I really like Double Tap's 320 grain WFN loads. They have performed well on game for me and in testing as well. Another two loads I really like are Grizzly Cartridge's 300 and 320 grain cast loads for the .44.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Snyd what bullet do you plan to use for your hunt?
    355 wide flat nose at 1200fps. It's dang near a wadcutter.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    I really like Double Tap's 320 grain WFN loads. They have performed well on game for me and in testing as well. Another two loads I really like are Grizzly Cartridge's 300 and 320 grain cast loads for the .44.
    These would get my vote too. Seem to be very consistant as far as accuracy is concerned and the recoil isn`t bad.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=118

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

DaggaBoyAK

I think any large bullet shot from a broadside position that penetrates both lungs, or even one lung of a black bear, will kill the bear within 50 yards. Absolutely prefer the double lung shot.

I have used both hard cast and XTPs out of my .44s and .357s. Both have killed bears just fine. I like the XTPs better. They just produced more devastation on the heart and lungs.

HOLY WFN and castcores and The such He is Black Bear Hunting from a stand 25 yds, this aint no grizzly in the brush, I used the Double Tap 300gr Nosler JHPs available at sportsmans in Fairbanks 300gr JHP at 1300FPS is plenty in my humble opinion for an interior blackie over bait. I got a 6'2" Sow at 15 yds last week, good luck in the hunt but I would get a stout Expanding 280-300gr bullets for your Blackie hunt
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Im assuming this is too late but I would try these http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2197/cat117127