Thread: Do you wear gloves when you reload?

Default Do you wear gloves when you reload?

I started wearing these a couple years ago to minimize lead absorbtion since I lube and load lots of cast boolits. They have a nice snug fit, good dexterity, not hot and give a good grip since they're rubberized. You can see in the pics that I can pull brass out of the box and work with powder measure, press, scale, etc. easily. I wear them 95% of the time. I got them online for about a 1.25 a pair. Anyone else wear gloves at the loading bench?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glvs_02.jpg  
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I do not wear gloves, but it certainly is not an unwise practice.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Sometimes I use cheap surgical gloves for things like bullet lube, rolling rifle brass on a lube pad but mostly go without.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I actually never thought of it ! when I moly coat bullets it probably would be a great idea since I have no idea if my IRON count goes up ..... or what else is in that stuff ! and for lead it seems to me to be a VERY wise practice - truck parts stores usually carry 8 mil rubber for mechanics as well (in case you are tearing them) as a working paramedic I lived through the introduction of ALWAYS wearing gloves from ones that tear when you put them on to ones that can barely be cut with a dull knife, one thing is for sure, they do protect us from "bad things"

I wear the Costco Nitrile Exam Gloves when I reload and/or work on the guns. My hands do sweat in them, but I usually don't do a lot at one time, so it's not too bad before I take them off and put on new ones when I'm back at it. The gloves stop any contamination from moving in either direction.

I remember asking this of the old boy that taught me reloading. He said he never did, but it wouldn't be a bad idea when you handle the primers. If you have to "handle" them at all.

This was so long ago I forgot a lot that I learned. I'm getting ready to get back into it now and am gathering up what I need. Looking forward to it.

I am just getting into it and doubt that I will wear gloves for normal reloading. I plan to eventually do some bullet casting and like Snyd will probably increase my ppe when doing that and when handling non-jacketed bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I actually never thought of it ! when I moly coat bullets it probably would be a great idea since I have no idea if my IRON count goes up ..... or what else is in that stuff ! and for lead it seems to me to be a VERY wise practice - truck parts stores usually carry 8 mil rubber for mechanics as well (in case you are tearing them) as a working paramedic I lived through the introduction of ALWAYS wearing gloves from ones that tear when you put them on to ones that can barely be cut with a dull knife, one thing is for sure, they do protect us from "bad things"
    Though I havenít used it in years Iím an EMT-1 and remember the rip-o-matic gloves too, I used to put on 3 pears of those on the way to a call. I get the nitrile ones for under $10 a box at Wal-Mart and they do good, very dexterous yet quite hard to rip and the ďone size fits allď actually fits my big hands very well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My hands sweat like crazy in the Nitrile gloves. I use those for ski patrol. These flextech gloves are perfect for me. No sweat.

When I started loading it was for rifle and only copper bullets. I think I started wearing these gloves when I really dove into loading lots of cast boolits.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

whoah! Snyd, good idea, that's alot of lead residue on your gloves. Actually, I don't think I'm ever gonna get into playing with melted lead.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    whoah! Snyd, good idea, that's alot of lead residue on your gloves. Actually, I don't think I'm ever gonna get into playing with melted lead.
    Ya and that's nothing. They get pretty black and then I just leave them on and wash my hands with dish soap to clean em off. I wear em cleaning, sorting and trimming brass as well.

I use the cheap nitrile gloves when I'm loading lead bullets or using some of the more toxic solvents. Since switching to the new non-toxic bore cleaners, I don't use them as much. Of course, they don't smell as good as old Hoppes! Wearing them is a pain, but is a good idea.

I do not wear gloves while reloading but I have been wearing the same type gloves you got on my trap line for the last two years. They are very good gloves for the price and are as comfortable as any I have ever tried to work in.

There has been alot of research into lead poisoning with regard to indoor ranges and reloading, just do an internet search.

I buy a box of the powdered blue gloves at wallyworld because they are reasonably cheap. I wear them every time I reload and clean my guns. Better grip of brass, bullets, primers, etc. Keeps my sweat from tarnishing brass or contaminating primers. Keeps the skin exposure down, and I can still write in the log book, operated the scales, and do other things that require good dexterity.

No but I do use Napa citrus orange and wash my hands a lot. Also keep my fingernails short and use a brush on them.Also I have my lead tests done once a year- last time it was 2.9. I shoot a lot of cast bullets and used to cast my own years ago .Also I carry handy wipes to the range to clean my hands and blow my nose good when I,m done. I,m 62 next month so its worked for me .Being clean works but gloves do seen like a good idea.Just a habit that needs to be learned.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Sometimes, I wear a cap.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.