Thread: Stop by, say hi if you are at Anchorage Sportsman show

Default Stop by, say hi if you are at Anchorage Sportsman show

Not sure if this is right place for this...but if any AOD members are hitting the GASS show this weekend in Anchorage, would enjoy meeting you in person. We're in the ice rink where the fishing pond is, toward the back by the hunter ed electronic range.

Don't get to town too often, great to already meet a few AOD folks and shake hands and put a face to a screenname.

Cheers,

Cool! Hope to do that!

Dave

...The Great Alaska sportsman Show...
    A few forum members stopped by the Alaska Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and said HI. Some used their forum names and some did not. I stood around and kept Mark, Lori and Dave company for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. I enjoyed it because I learned more about the responsibilities of the organization that they promote and support so enthusiastically. Mark, Lori, Dave...we truly enjoyed having you over for that late supper on Saturday night. All of you are welcome at my home anytime you are in the Anchorage area. And we hope to spend more time with you at the show next year. Hopefully my wife and I will arrange to visit you this summer and then possible raft back to Circle. And I hope that more forum members will become more knowledgeable of the efforts and responsibilities of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and will consider supported the organization in the future. I do sincerely believe that AK BHA is focused on our wilderness heritage, and promoting conservation and preservation of the traditional values important to all of us.

AlaskaTrueAdventure/Dennis
    (LOL) PS, I hope my sheep, moose, elk mounts and bear-wolverine-lynx rugs didn't seem too very for out of your reality. Each critter represents a thousand memories for me. Note that I did not show you the additional bears in the downstairs dayroom or the overflow mounts in the garage! (LOL)

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hi at the show. Was great to put a face to a screenname.

Was startled on sunday afternoon, munching on a piece of pizza in our booth when I look up and see Congressman Young standing there eying the furs and rugs and skulls and pics we had out...was a pleasure to shake his hand and chat for a bit.

Sure been a whirlwind month traveling around the state representing AK BHA at meetings and shows. Dave and I did the new Juneau sports show too, had a good time in Juneau. The canoe lining and poling seminars went over well too, and I hope to teach more of those and show folks how to get into the backcountry via canoe. The high school students at Chugiak High were great, always enjoy sharing the hunting, fishing and trapping lifestyle with the students and showing them the value of our way of life.

Thanks to Dennis for the kind words and hospitality.

Best to all,

That's funny. I wish I could have been there when congressman Young came by. If you don't mind me asking Mark, what did he say? I've rarely heard congressman Young say anything that wasn't interesting. It was nice to meet you and HomerDave. Sorry I didn't get to stay long, as my wife and kids were waiting for me in the other arena. For what it is worth, even though I don't agree with the AK BHA on every issue, I agree with the basic mission of preservation of wild places. Thanks for making it into town. Next time you make it into town I would love to stay and chat and hear some of your stories of living in the bush.

I think you just missed Don Young, Bushwhack Jack...I mentioned I'd been emailing with his aide on some issues, and we had mutual friends in the Ft Yukon area, hoped I could make it there sometime in summer and visit. He commented that he appreciated the hunting and fishing and trapping lifestyle and was working to protect it in D.C. And we spoke of navigating the channels between Circle and Ft Yukon.

Great to meet you too, was a zoo at times with kids wanting to hit the fishing pond, all the booths to see. Appreciate you stopping by.

I didn't go to the show this year, I would have though if I would have seen this post! I know other members had booths and would have tracked them down too. But you I always enjoy your posts and threads, pics keep me interested! Were you selling fur items?

Default Congressman Young

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Was startled on sunday afternoon, munching on a piece of pizza in our booth when I look up and see Congressman Young standing there eying the furs and rugs and skulls and pics we had out...was a pleasure to shake his hand and chat for a bit.
    I believe it. Ironically the only time I have ever personally met or shook the hand of Congressman Young, was also at that same GASS (two years ago, I think).

Also I agree with Jack's post that mentioned that the Congressman is quite interesting to talk with.

Mark,

It was nice to meet you at the show and chat for a bit. I appreciate having you guys as advocates for improving sheep hunting and other hunting for Alaskan residents.

Mark

so how was the pizza?
    Semper Fi!

Moose's Tooth pizza, hard to beat!

Akrstabout, wasn't selling any furs, just helping with our AK BHA booth.

Was great to meet you too Mark...and we'll continue working on the sheep issues. Some pretty interesting stuff to post on that once I get settled from travel.

sorry we mised you in fairbanks maybe when they have the gun show in april. thank you for all you're great wok.
    connie
    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Moose's Tooth pizza, hard to beat!
    Akrstabout, wasn't selling any furs, just helping with our AK BHA booth.
    Was great to meet you too Mark...and we'll continue working on the sheep issues. Some pretty interesting stuff to post on that once I get settled from travel.