Thread: decoy bag question??

Default decoy bag question??

Any idea's on the bag for carrying over sized duck shell decoys in?? I would like to get like a 12 slot bag but im not sure if i can fit what i want to in it. i just got 2 dozen and would like to get em all in 1 bag..

By shell decoys are you referring to the field style, like goose shells? If you are using those I would just use an Avery pothole bag and stack them up inside.

If you are referring to floating decoys, the big mouth decoy bags are awesome. They float, and they are very comfortable to pack. I fit almost 4 dozen in one bag, although a dozen of those decoys are teal.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

i was talking about the feild style decoys.. i figured they would cut down the weight and add alot of visibility for the walk in stuff i hunt alot up here. i used to hunt with a guy back home that had a bunch an they worked great he just put his a regular bag an worked ok,but we were able to drive out an set up also ( private ponds/river/feild hunts back home ). i want to use a slot style bag to help keep them looking good and not ding em up to bad on the way in or out.. and id like to see if i can fit two to a slot before buying a bag. the heads on them are kinda a bear to put on and take off, if i can leave the heads on them and store them in a slotted decoy bag they should last along time.
    For the money we duck hunters spend on gear the least we can do is take care of it, and do our best to make it last.

That is a great idea. I tried field decoys for the first time last year. They work great and it seems like the ducks are eyes are glued to them.

I wonder if a slotted bag designed for geese would work. It would be kind of a pain to pack it out there if you are walking a long ways in. We always stacked them up and ran a bungee cord through the head hole. It kept them from unstacking. They still look new today using this technique.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I use an Avery full sized field duck decoy for some full body duck decoys. They are six slot bags and they are nearly large enough to stick a small goose decoy in. They should work well for shells stacked up.

Slotted bags are nice, but you don't typically see guys packing them very far. I use a 6 slot for my full body duck decoys, but only because they don't stack like shells. If I had shells instead, I would just use my normal floating decoy bag since it's easier to hike with its padded shoulder straps. My 6 slot bag only has a single strap, like a duffel bag. It wants to fall off my shoulder and it's just not as comfortable as a regular back pack decoy bag.

Erich
    Good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions...
    http://alaskawaterfowlproducts.blogspot.com/