Thread: Health limitations and extended hunts- Sleep Apnea

Default Health limitations and extended hunts- Sleep Apnea

Curious of any of you guys have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. My dad is into this 5 years and it has really limited his extended outdoor experience without a power supply for sorts.

Any experiences recommendations and tips are greatly appreciated.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I wanted to ask this also.
    I have rigged up a 12 vdc battery in a plastic ammo box and installed a cigarette lighter outlet in it, I then padded the inside so I could carry the CPAP, and accessories inside of it to make it self contained. Works pretty well, although I don't use the humidifier (uses too much power)
    I have also rigged up a l-ion battery pack for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Two of my friends have this, they carry a small 1,000 watt inverter generator and a 12 volt battery. They use the battery at night and charge it during the day when they are out hunting.

I use a sealed lead acid battery, I charge it off of my 4 wheeler. The inverters work well but are the least efficient. Most CPAP machines can be run off of a 12 vdc battery, I had to purchase the power supply for mine at about $90.00. I am rigging one up for my BIL, his power supply is about $20.00.

Caviat....No power on a fly in hunt.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have the l-ion batteries that I would use for a fly in hunt. 4 batteries should last me about 6 days, the whole set up with l-ion is about 10 lbs

ABS Alaska has solar panels that work pretty well if you need power on a fly in hunt. Mine folds up into a small pack, it's lightweight and works. I use it to charge my sat phone as a battery maintainer on my RV. They cost around $100 bucks but it's been well worth it. I've even tried it on overcast days and it's worked fine. I bought a bigger one so it would work on the RV also. This is the one I got.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/so...unlinq-12.html

http://www.absak.com/
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

[QUOTE=AKHunterNP;1101878]ABS Alaska has solar panels that work pretty well if you need power on a fly in hunt. Mine folds up into a small pack, it's lightweight and works. I use it to charge my sat phone as a battery maintainer on my RV. They cost around $100 bucks but it's been well worth it. I've even tried it on overcast days and it's worked fine. I bought a bigger one so it would work on the RV also. This is the one I got.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/so...unlinq-12.html

Yeah we stumbled upon a booth at the show that sold battery/inverter packs that coupled with a solar power grid but for $600. 25%charge on a cloudy day so fingers crossed it doesn't rain for a week. Steap price for sure!!

I Google CPAP machine to find out how much current draw they had and could not find any information. If you have a CPAP can you tell us how much it uses? With out the information there is no way to determine the best way to charge the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I Google CPAP machine to find out how much current draw they had and could not find any information. If you have a CPAP can you tell us how much it uses? With out the information there is no way to determine the best way to charge the battery.
    I'll double check.

The current draw is dependent o pressure settings and if your using the humidifier.
    I use a Resmed unit and their website has current draw at the different pressure settings listed, in worst case, you could take the max current draw off of the power supply and use that to calculate your power needs.

Robert

I am going on a fly in hunt this fall and instead of using my cpap machine I am going to use a dental device that was prescribed to me by my doctor.

I've been using a CPAP at home for ~5 years and feel much better because of it. However, when I go into the bush I don't fool with it and don't notice any ill effects. I suppose the excitement of the hunt overcomes any negatives from not using the CPAP. I was diagnosed with "mild" sleep apnea so if your Dad has a more severe case he should probably check with his doctor. In my case I don't notice any problems, even humping up the hills after sheep.

had two seperate clients with machines, both just bought new car batteries for their hunts and had no issues.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not being mean what so ever, but typically sleep apnea is HIGHLY correlated with obesity. That said losing 20, 30, 50+ lbs may be a great aid to your father's sleep apnea. Also preventative of diabetes, cardio-vascular disease, and joint wear not to mention making him a more capable hunter....

The car battery is a sharp idea!

Brett

A lot of people who suffer from apnea are overweight, and a lot of people suffer apnea due to the physiology of their bodies.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2