Thread: Mercury vs Honda for the HB ?

Default Mercury vs Honda for the HB ?

Looking for a guiet 4 stroke/smooth trolling motor. I have found some on Craig's list,but just looking for some pro advise. So what camp are you guys in and why ? Thanks

Most small Merc 4 strokes are Tohatsu motors as I recall nice motor. The 20 HP Honda is about 20# lighter. Suzuki is making a 20HP that will be lighter yet. Weight is a big factor.

Between, Honda, Merc and you didn't mention Yamaha, I own or have recently owned all 3 and quietist, smoothist by far is Yamaha, the Honda then Mercury. IMO, there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd. I've heard lots of good things from Suzuki from close friends as well putting them above honda and a shade back from Yamaha. Also, I'd run out of fingers if I counted how many times I tried to start my Yamahas' while they where already started and running idle.

usually comes down to personal preference as they are all wonderful motors. I know the tohastu's have zinc coated passages for those moments your motor is cycling salt water as an engine coolant! I'd inquire about the passages/water pump on all of them. I've run suzuki, mercury, and tohatsu. I'd have no problem with any of them though. All the 20 hp models are within a few lbs. of each other. Suzuki makes a very light-weight 15 hp. Just because a motor says honda though, doesn't mean they can't break down. I had to pull a guy for a long ways a few years ago with a brand-new honda on his boat. It was a 17.5 ft. discovery with a 9.8 tohatsu. I buzzed all over the Yukon River with that little motor. Next season after I test the 18 hp copperhead on my larger 22 ft. model, I'd like to give that Yamaha high-thrust 25 hp a serious look. Of the stories I hear of the river people who inhabited the Kandik river that I've run up, a guy used to run a 25 hp johnson as his primary motor on a big chestnut freighter.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Between, Honda, Merc and you didn't mention Yamaha, I own or have recently owned all 3 and quietist, smoothist by far is Yamaha, the Honda then Mercury. IMO, there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd. I've heard lots of good things from Suzuki from close friends as well putting them above honda and a shade back from Yamaha. Also, I'd run out of fingers if I counted how many times I tried to start my Yamahas' while they where already started and running idle.
    This is a good subject since I will be after a new motor soon - would you expand on your statement about the big gap between Honda and Yamaha - What is that gap and why is the Yamaha better.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    This is a good subject since I will be after a new motor soon - would you expand on your statement about the big gap between Honda and Yamaha - What is that gap and why is the Yamaha better.

My Honda when I would start it cold, as an electric start would never start on the first attempt. The turn of the key was normally about 6-8 seconds. On the second attempt it would start at 4-6 seconds. Once started I would have to bring up the RPM's and get it to warm up or it would just die. I had a few times, I flooded it trying to start it. There was a short window of throttle vs turning the key over. That was when I first owned it. According to AMAD it was in tune, since I brought it in to get checked out. Once it was warm for the day, turning it off for several hours, it would start right up no issues. My Yamaha, I pump the ball until its hard at the begining of the day, turn the key and it starts right up like a warm car. I don't have to run up the idle, it just purrs like a kitten. When I trolled with the Honda, I had to constantly play with the trottle to control my speeds. When I just put it in gear and kept it at the lowest speed, at times I would get a slight tremble in the motor and with a minor adjustment of the trottle, it smoothed out but I was trolling a little to fast for my taste. When the motor was running, I could hear it inside the canvas topper. It was faint but I could hear it. My Yamahas when I put it in gear, its smooth as a silk. I can't hear my motors unless I'm at the back of the boat and I have never had those engines so much as shiver when trolling. My motors were a Honda BF50 and then I upgraded to the BF90. They both handled the same. My twin Yamahas are 115's. I also have a honda 2HP for a dingy. When its cold, it starts after 6-8 pulls and you have to keep it choked for a little while or it will stall. Once it warms up, it handles well, but since its air cooled, it's loud. My Yamahas, I have never choked them to start and it kicks over like a fine tuned car.

I know you are talking about larger motors, but am getting a smaller OB for an Esquif and after reading Mainer's comments about the prop and cotter pins in rapid water, I decided I was going to look at the Tohatsu or Merc. Local dealer is giving me a sweet deal on a Merc 4 stroke 6 hp short shaft and can't pass it up. 55 lbs and 6 hp for under $1500 is hard to beat!
    That said I had a Suzuki 50 hp on my Lund in Idaho and it could not have been nicer- smooth, quiet, and sipped gas.

BEE

Default just over a hundred per horse

A few years back I got my Tohatsu 15 HP 4 stroke brand new in ANC for 1800 and change; I have always been very happy with that.

I believe that FamilyMan's Tohatsu 15 hp weighs 125#. A bit on the heavy side for your Esquif. My Yamaha 2-stroke short shaft 15 hp weighs 79#. A Honda short shaft 15 hp weighs 104#, the same as their ss 20 hp. There are large variations of weight between manufactures of similar hp outboards. Keep ob weight in mind for the balance of your Esquif freighter.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Most small Merc 4 strokes are Tohatsu motors as I recall nice motor. The 20 HP Honda is about 20# lighter. Suzuki is making a 20HP that will be lighter yet. Weight is a big factor.
    any info on this and when wil it be comming out?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    any info on this and when wil it be comming out?
    At the Sportsman show last week I was told this by the Suzuki Rep he said later this year. Did a search could find nothing. He seemed
    quite confident.