Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Cheap Bulk Spare Fuel Tanks Out There?

If the can is labeled with its volume, how can they argue that? Gestapo much? What is considered extra? Fuel in a dedicated poly tank for a kicker? Suppose you have the 55 gal drum with a pickup tube hooked to your outboard? Extra?

If it is a permanatly or semi permanant mounted tank. 55 gallon drum wouldn't do cause it is not a fuel tank, it does have to meet DOT specs. Did they have the same rules when everyone went by train?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    If it is a permanatly or semi permanant mounted tank. 55 gallon drum wouldn't do cause it is not a fuel tank, it does have to meet DOT specs. Did they have the same rules when everyone went by train?
    That is how I read it. I don't recall ever being asked about how much fuel I was carrying when we used to take the train over.

I don't believe that they can search your boat. Just do not give them a reason. I use the tunnel about every weekend of the season and sometimes several times a week if I am working on the boat. Most of the attendants are easy to work with from my experience, but a couple of the guys suffer from "LMS". They were "that kid" that never got to be captain and pick teams in PE class. They are finally in a position of power and they choose to exploit it. Ask to speak to the "puppeteer" in the main building if you have any problems, especially if you are towing over width loads. I finally had the supervisor write the measured width and sign it, on my last oversize permit. He said that all I had to do was show it to the person in the booth and they would transfer it to the current permit.

I should add that I have yet to have any issues with any of the female attendants. They seem to just do their job.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

i agree spoiled, the girls do a better job.

I have never had them search my boat or truck either, I do believe they can though, would have to search DOT regulations to see, But I also have my 2 5 gallon boat tanks for the kicker motor in plain sight.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I thought there was mention somewhere in here about the 30 and 15 gallon fuel tanks/drums that Dewey's sells and whether or not they are approved to go thru the tunnel. I have two of the 30 gallon ones and hope to connect one to my main outboard and one to my kicker. Will this be allowed and does anyone have any experience doing this?

Plumbed in directly to a motor is ok.
    Extra tanks not plumbed in cannot total more than 12 gals. combined, this for gasoline. This is for truck bed tanks, polys on the boat, etc....

Diesel has its own set of rules, allowing up XX galls in aux tanks......but I would doule check since I haven't driven throuh since last Nov. This allows my 75 gallon aux diesel tank in the bed of the truck to be almost full. All I have to do is sign a paper that states its diesel and is placarded as such. (I don't recall if its 40 or 70 galls of diesel?!)
    Bk

Just an FYI they cannot search your veh or boat to see if you are carrying extra fuel. If you give out that information that you are carrying extra fuel then that is on you. If it is out in the open and its in a white jug then that is on you. Put it in the boat.
    If the tank is fixed to the truck and your in the area of 50 to 75gals your good to go. I do not think a 55gal drum that has a hose coming out of the bung hole counts as being mounted to the boat or motor. again if it is in the open and is visible to all then embrace the ticket if they are giving them.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

A friend was turned around with an aux tank in the bed of his truck. He had a topper on the back, they saw it and refused to let him go through as it had more than the max amount of 12 galls even though the tank was bolted to the truck bed, fyi.

I have also been told my dog could not ride in the bed of the truck and the kid on th whittier side was going to call the troopers if I didn't put the dog in the cab before leaving.
    I politely explained my 100lb wet lab was not riding in the back seat.....then told him the dog was his, i'm leaving it with him, your problem now.
    Short stoy, once on the portage side with dog in the bed of the truck I discussed the issue with the tunnel mngr and he wrote a note that allows the dam dog to ride in the bed of the truck. The kid was dealt with after I left by the mngr.

Sooo, moral is to get it in writing, as the rules may vary depending on the person or day of the week!
    Bk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12