Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Cheap Bulk Spare Fuel Tanks Out There?

Default Any Cheap Bulk Spare Fuel Tanks Out There?

Hey Guys,

First time on this forum, but have been all over some other ones. My buddies and I are planning a PWS spring bear hunt this year, and one of our guys (the one with all the fuel tanks) is deployed to Afgahnastan. We are looking for some 15 to 20 gallon (Maximum) fuel or "chemical tanks" so we can transport some of our fuel down to PWS. The more the marrier. We are also planning a moose trip on the Tenanna this year as well, so they will be used a lot. we are going to need about 150 gallons total for the whole trip with two boats. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. thanks and good hunting.

Check with the car wash on Lake Otis and (diamond ext.) Laser wash i believe.
    $20- for 15 gallon poly's last year.
    BK

There is a guy on Craigslist that is selling them too. They work great for fuel. Just in case you don't know, you can only take 12 gallons (?) of extra fuel thru the tunnel to Whittier. (Legally) I may or mat not have taken much more, many many times before without issues, but they do ask and can make ya leave it behind.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Wink

If you go through the tunnel, hide them and don't say anything about them....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the info guys, I am in the hunt for the poly tanks now. And I dont know why you would suggest doing something illegal? the fuel is only going to be another 1.50 a gallon down there. with two hundred gallons.....while that is only 300.00 bucks.........
    I think i will figure out the tunnel fellas, thanks again for the help.

I don't think I would take the chance at trying to smuggle 10 15 gallon tanks thru the tunnel. They do have some video cameras around and if they spot them I would hate to see what might happen. I guess you could fill them with water and go through a couple of times and see what happens....

I have considered putting a fuel bladder in one of my fish holds and trying that out...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

From what I understand, if it's an approved fuel container and/or it's plumbed into your boat, then it doesn't matter how much it holds. But either way, good luck on your search and have a safe trip whereever you go.
    MMSI# 338232859

Be carefull with the white poly drums that everyone is using from the car wash. I picked up 2 last fall for av gas and wanted to make sure they were clean, so.. after about 10 washes in the back yard with every chemical i had, there is still residue floating in 15 gallons of av gas that im scared to dump in my plane! I have filtered it out several times through a chami inside of a mr funnel, and still junk in it. I saw sportsmans had some of the blue 15's for sale as water storage, think they were $30 or so. At least you know they are not full of some **** car wax that wont wash out with solvent or any thing else!

I saw those at the sportmans show as well, but was wondering if the water containers would melt or get eaten through due to the gasoline? Has anybody out there used the water tanks for fuel? If so i like that option much better.

I been using the white barrels that originally held soap from the car washes for about 4 years. A good rinsing with water out of the hose is all they require. Never had any issues with any of them, no residue from chemicals, etc.

Best part is on the way back from a hunt we just toss them empty one's in the nightly campfire if the boat is cramped.

As far as Whittier goes. Last year when we were waiting to hit the tunnel on the way out there was some sort of cop in a truck who had two vehicles pulled over that just came through the tunnel and both had multiple fuel containers in the bed. The drivers didnt appear to be to happy as the cop was writing out tickets and they seemed to be related to the fuel containers as the cop was tallying up how much gas was in them.

I would think a good washing with water and then maybe put a gallon or two of gas in them and rinse with that and you would be good to go... gas should dissolve any residue left over. If the gas comes out nasty looking start over. I have a couple old barrels I use for water, but they originally had hydrogen Peroxide in them so they were squeeky clean when I got them.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I don't think I would take the chance at trying to smuggle 10 15 gallon tanks thru the tunnel. They do have some video cameras around and if they spot them I would hate to see what might happen. I guess you could fill them with water and go through a couple of times and see what happens....

I have considered putting a fuel bladder in one of my fish holds and trying that out...
    I hid mine up in the cab then took them out when I got to the camp ground. Of course when asked if I had any other gas my answer was nope.....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I hid mine up in the cab then took them out when I got to the camp ground. Of course when asked if I had any other gas my answer was nope.....

Ditto.... But now my boat holds 160 gallons and I don't see needing more than that for weekend trips this summer.
    MMSI# 338232859

I have been using one of Sportsmans WRHS blue 15 gallon water cans for gasoline for 3 seasons now. Seems as good now as it was new. Anyone know where a guy can come up with a wrench that fits the bung in that can? Pliers work, but something more efficient would be desirable.

I believe I've seen the bung wrenches at Marita Sea and Ski
    MMSI# 338232859

You can also buy the bung wrench at Alaska Industrial Hardware
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

You can also buy the bung wrench at Alaska Industrial Hardware, for around $10, can not remember for sure what I paid
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

2nd that AIH purchase, less than $20- I'm sure. It's been a few years since I bought one.
    (They make an aluminum one, btw)
    BK

What do you Gus do about venting when using the water jugs

i had the tunnel guys make me leave a 12 gal outboard can because they believed it to be more than what the numbers indicated, i was quite displeased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast