Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southcentral End of Season Bird Hunting

Default Southcentral End of Season Bird Hunting

Best of luck folks as our season comes to an end this weekend. I was fortunate to have the time to escape civilization and chase birds yesterday. The dog caught the evening thermals and ended up marching me to the TOP of some of the country I was in. If you aren't finding birds, consider going UP.

I won't be eating them all as one received special treatment and will be getting Ed's eye and hopefully the white-tailed ptarmigan will become the first specimen in my Upland Heaven 7 collection.

Prairie Guy

P.S. The crops were full of dwarf birch catkins.
    Last edited by PG13; 03-30-2012 at 17:21. Reason: Hint
    Go Big Red! Nebraska Blackshirts.

I won't be able to get out hunting today so I made the most of it last weekend. I stumbled into a flock of several hundred birds and took my limit almost as fast as I could reload. Their crops were stuffed full of willow buds. There were a few other guys picking them off too and they said they also got 23 rabbits from the same area. Plenty to go around. The snow was dense and deep, pushing the rabbits out of there tunnels up on top. I even helped my buddy take a few birds, but he was so out of shape that it took us 45 minutes to get him 5. I even gave him the snowshoes but it didn't help. We had a lot of fun and got some birds in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Best of luck folks as our season comes to an end this weekend. I was fortunate to have the time to escape civilization and chase birds yesterday. The dog caught the evening thermals and ended up marching me to the TOP of some of the country I was in. If you aren't finding birds, consider going UP.

I won't be eating them all as one received special treatment and will be getting Ed's eye and hopefully the white-tailed ptarmigan will become the first specimen in my Upland Heaven 7 collection.

Prairie Guy

Cool stuff Nate. Good for you getting out. Gal and I will be out tomorrow for some more bird walks like we do each weekend and a time or two during the week. We are looking for snow stiff enough to hold the dog, it will be an early morning endeavor. I haven't shot over her yet. She is learning to whoa. Working her with birds will be the ticket when the snow goes away. I'll buy some pigeons and work with a trainer. Hope to have the little Brit working grouse this fall. Good to see you last winter. Good luck on your spring project, and trip back to the prarie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Cool stuff Nate. Good for you getting out. Gal and I will be out tomorrow for some more bird walks like we do each weekend and a time or two during the week. We are looking for snow stiff enough to hold the dog, it will be an early morning endeavor. I haven't shot over her yet. She is learning to whoa. Working her with birds will be the ticket when the snow goes away. I'll buy some pigeons and work with a trainer. Hope to have the little Brit working grouse this fall. Good to see you last winter. Good luck on your spring project, and trip back to the prarie.
    The snow will be gone before it holds your dog. You're missing some of the best ptarmigan hunting of the year!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post

Prairie Guy

Ok guy....I gotta know, what's your "Upland Heaven 7 collection"...??? I'm still kicking myself for not mounting the snow chicken I shot years ago. But I do have a beautiful pheasant mount (fighting position) that my old chessie fetched and is so sentimental to me. I gotta start bird hunting again...!!!....(dreamt I was duck hunting last night.....maybe it's a sign.....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ok guy....I gotta know, what's your "Upland Heaven 7 collection"...??? I'm still kicking myself for not mounting the snow chicken I shot years ago. But I do have a beautiful pheasant mount (fighting position) that my old chessie fetched and is so sentimental to me. I gotta start bird hunting again...!!!....(dreamt I was duck hunting last night.....maybe it's a sign.....lol)
    See my post #11 at this thread. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=#post927332

It is an Alaskan bird hunter's slam. I figure the big game guys can't have all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    The snow will be gone before it holds your dog. You're missing some of the best ptarmigan hunting of the year!
    You northern boys enjoy your season closers, we are fully jealous here down south. I won't have time to get away in the next month and I was skunked yesterday on my last SC hunt so my season is officially over. Hope those of you who will be hitting the snow grouse slopes hard keep us in mind and post some results. Happy hunting fellas!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I was skunked yesterday on my last SC hunt so my season is officially over.
    You must not have gotten high enough

OK, Hoyt. I've got April and more things to learn then. I'll stay tuned. Main thing for me is not to make a bunch of mistakes with this sensitive little female French Brit and jinx the later on. Not shooting dosen't bother me at this point.

OK, Hoyt. I've got April and more things to learn then. I'll stay tuned. Main thing for me is not to make a bunch of mistakes with this sensitive little female French Brit and jinx the later on. Not shooting dosen't bother me at this point.
    Yep early stages are important. Don't get to hung up on making mistakes, dogs are more forgiving than most give them credit for! Enjoy your pup! How old is she?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Default My season ended well...

The last three weekends of the season were beautiful and I found a few birds...I posted in another thread some photos. Here are few more.

I tried the photo bucket method of posting pictures...hope it works.

My dogs Brittany and Griffon with and a friend's Drathaar

Last edited by Burke; 04-03-2012 at 19:16. Reason: wrong picture

Default Final days

More frosting on the cake... birds in the bag
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Griffon and my friend's Drathaar...

Default Final shot

Even my bride went out with me and we had a great day...and I left the gun behind. Dogs were not disappointed at all. It was great to get out, enjoy the sun, scenery and share with her the dogs working. She knows what joy I get from working the dogs, but it is sometimes good to take her out and let her enjoy it as well. I am also reminded that it isn't really about bagging birds....as many of you well know.

Please post your pics...I don't want to be a picture hog! I know you have some good ones too.

I look forward to next season with the old dogs and my new pup! Enjoy spring, have a good training/fishing season everyone!

Yep early stages are important. Don't get to hung up on making mistakes, dogs are more forgiving than most give them credit for! Enjoy your pup! How old is she?
    Hi Hoyt,

Gal is just one year 2-weeks ago. I had her out a bunch in Mat-Su prior to Nov. but didn't see many birds. I'm continental now. It gets cold here for a Brit anyhow.

I found a trainer near Two Rivers and I'll submit to learning how to do it correctly. The dog's a Dolly and I don't want to screw it up. Most sensitve little dog I've ever met, sweet but stubborn too. Everyone else I know that has brits all have males. Wouldn't you know it... The grouse hunting is only going to get better. So will she.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post

Please post your pics...I don't want to be a picture hog! I know you have some good ones too.
    I posted this one elsewhere, but this was my last hunt of the season - about a week ago in some spectacular conditions. I went out with skiing on the mind, but due to a lack of a backcountry partner I decided to stick to low angle stuff and instead prepped for some birds.

Hi Hoyt,

Gal is just one year 2-weeks ago. I had her out a bunch in Mat-Su prior to Nov. but didn't see many birds. I'm continental now. It gets cold here for a Brit anyhow.

I found a trainer near Two Rivers and I'll submit to learning how to do it correctly. The dog's a Dolly and I don't want to screw it up. Most sensitve little dog I've ever met, sweet but stubborn too. Everyone else I know that has brits all have males. Wouldn't you know it... The grouse hunting is only going to get better. So will she.
    Very nice! Keep at it, she'll turn out well. Bob is a nice fellow, and knows a thing or two about dogs! I think your in the interior now?!?!?! I think a close friend of mine met you the other day. He said he spoke with a guy that just moved up here from SC, and had a young female brit. He works for F&G.

Great job Brian. I've wanted to learn how to ski for some time. I may take it up next winter! Looks like you had a nice day!

Burke...I love seeing your pictures! You seem to have some nice pups! What knd of puppy are you getting? I have a new setter coming this summer. I cannot wait. That little brit you have looks like a pistol! You ever make it up this way, give me a heads up! I have taken so many pics this year, and have hardly posted any of them on here, I know this is a SC thread, but I'm sure you guys won't mind if I throw one on here right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast