Thread: Yukon/Koyukuk Track log files

Default Yukon/Koyukuk Track log files

I drew a tag for the Koyukuk for this fall. My Son and I will be running my Wolly AKII with a 150 prop from the bridge up and back. I'm looking for some track log files for GPS, would be willing to pay for them. If anyone has track files that they want to share please PM me. Would be willing to share any info I might have in return. Looking for a track that has been run with a prop.

Thanks

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Taking into account river characteristics and changes in water depth I'd be more inclined to read the river by sight and travel as such.

Biggest threat is logs on the Yukon and sand bars. Be watchful of the shortcut entrance to the Koyukuk, late season you may touch bottom especially with a load.

If its your first venture up there bring a video camera, it's certainly an area unlike all others.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Taking into account river characteristics and changes in water depth I'd be more inclined to read the river by sight and travel as such.

Biggest threat is logs on the Yukon and sand bars. Be watchful of the shortcut entrance to the Koyukuk, late season you may touch bottom especially with a load.

If its your first venture up there bring a video camera, it's certainly an area unlike all others.

Been up before and I'm decent at reading water, just want a known good path and i know that many large vessels run the river often and may have knowledge I don't have.

Made a video last time and plan on using a GoPro HD this year as it will be my Son's first ever Moose Hunt.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, I have another track on my console mounted GPS. It's just not Mac friendly. I have an older PC and will attempt to retrieve it. It is stored on one of those proprietary Garmin cards and is difficult to deal with. It will probably be the exact same track as the one I sent you off my Rino. If you want it I will try.

Jeff

Steve,

I do believe any previous track logs would simply get you into trouble IMO. Ran the trip twice in a prop and the only hairy spots were around the upper end of Three Day Slough and close to the Dulbi. Just watch for where the Koyukuk gets really wide and hug the steep cut bank areas. One trip we breezed by an area going up and followed the track coming back only to get two out of three boats in our group stuck. Another time our lead boat followed the previous years track going up only to become seriously stuck. Both of these "stucks" happened in the area I mentioned.

Just be careful when you beach your boat.

Good luck

Your eyes will do a much better job that following any track log.

Hello Steve,
    I don't have any track logs that aren't built into the brain but just hop on the track this one makes and it is sure to get you there. If I remember right we did draw the same tag. When are you planning on heading down river?

Steve...PM me your email and I'll send you the excel spreadsheet I created & used...56 way points from the bridge to Dulbi Slough...never hit a sandbar from the bridge to Upper Three Day...that's as far as I needed to go.

Great hunt...good for you.