Thread: First Time

Default First Time

Hello been having fun looking at some of the posts.
    I will be coming in June with my Son who will 13.
    We live to fish and have always dreamed of coming to Alaska.
    "Love watching North to Alaska"
    Will be staying in Sterling with the following itinerary
    > June 10 ---- Arrive
    > June 11 ---- Halibut
    > June 12 ---- Kings
    > June 13 ---- Fly-Out
    > June 14 ---- Halibut
    > June 15 ---- Kings
    > June 16-----Departing Late 10:30 PM
    Was Curious of some lures that you guys like on the Kenai for kings?
    (I would like to bring some of my own to try because my friend reps for Rapala,Storm, Blue Fox, and Luhr Jensen to name a few).
    Would love any other input on must see's and do's fishing or other.
    Thanks

You are going to be dog tired by the end of that trip.

If you're driving to Sterling from Anchorage you've got to hit The Double Musky before you leave. It's in Girdwood. Great food. A bit spendy but you only live once.

Sourdough Sals for at least one cinnamon roll, in Soldotna. Maybe grab one for a halibut trip.

Others here might be able to steer you in the right direction for bank fishing but guided trips are generally less hit and miss if you've got the budget. If you limit out on kings the first day I'd add more fly-in or try to hit some rainbow or dolly fishing.

You might want to try and get some sleep one way on the halibut charters. Dramamine will put you out anyway if you use it. You'll likely to be pretty tired afterwards if you don't get a little rest.

Did I mention you're going to be really tired after that week.

Thanks for the places to eat. That's the info I need.
    I can not get enough fishing so bring it on.
    Any tips on the Lures to use for kings?
    I already have 36 Magwarts in 4 colors.

Default lures

If your buddy reps for Luhr Jensen I would bring k15-k16 kwikfish. Make sure to change out the treble hooks to one single hook for the Kenai. Also, remember no bait is allowed in June unless there is an emergency order to lift it. One last thing, if all your trips are guided don't worry about lures. Guides will provide everything for you. Good luck and sleep when you get back home....

Thanks, All are guided but thougt it might be fun to bring some of my own. Then donate them to the Guide (I would tip $ too) My guide uses Magwarts so I already got 36 of those. He might not use those Luhr Jensens so maybe I will pick up some of those too. I am getting so pumped!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    If your buddy reps for Luhr Jensen I would bring k15-k16 kwikfish. Make sure to change out the treble hooks to one single hook for the Kenai. Also, remember no bait is allowed in June unless there is an emergency order to lift it. One last thing, if all your trips are guided don't worry about lures. Guides will provide everything for you. Good luck and sleep when you get back home....
    I looked at the Luhr Jensen Website. What are some of your favorite colors/patterns?

Default colors

All colors of kwikfish work as long as they're chartreuse .....I think if you spoke to 20 different people you'd get 20 different favorites (I think Trustworthy Hardware has 55 custom colors of kwikfish). I personally like chrome/chartreuse, chrome/orange or if I'm feeling lucky I'll use the Funky Chicken, Gummi Bear, Willie's Secret, or Gay Boy colors. The gold standard for plugs on the Kenai are the k15-k16 kwikfish. Magwarts will catch fish but seem to work best when the water is low and slow and that is usually in May. Good luck.

Default Fishing by yourself

Since your staying in Sterling I would road trip later in the week to the Russian river for early run Reds. Last year it was really good fishing. Most people taking their limit in short order. However, there is a technique to catching these fish in a combat line up. It's a very unique experience.

Just North of Sterling is Bings landing. A great place to just stop and chase some early reds. Not a bad little campground either!

Bring lots of film. Your 13 year old will have a trip of a life time! Welcome to Alaska!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

So what is the set up for reds? Rod/line and bait?

Check out www.kenaidreams.com for info on how to fish reds and what gear to bring. Pretty extensive blog about the in's and out's of red fishing. The guy talks mainly about using a fly rod but any rod that can handle 15lb line and higher will work. One last thing.....NO BAIT and if you're near the Russian River it's flies only with a 3/8th or less gap between the shank of your hook and barb. Good luck with the Kenai flip and the artful skill of snagging in the mouth.

I fish for reds exclusively with a 9 foot 8 weight fly rod, floating line, ~3/8 oz of lead and a weigted flesh fly (but not over the rediculus 1/4 oz that defines a "weighted" fly). I have yet to not catch my limit when the reds are in with this setup, even in mid august (As Jim Teeny would say "If I spot em I got em!") I would say the most important part of the red setup is the long rod it allowes you to flip the rig farther and cover more water with more control, I dig fly line because it doesn't give you as bad of line cuts when fishing all day. I like the fly reel well just because its too dang easy to land fish on a casting or spinning setup. Oh I use 0x rio tippet (except on the mainstem/ lower river where I use 20# because there is stronger current and not as much room to land the fish) and a butt section of 30# ultra green (where I put the lead on) distance from lead to hook is at least 24 inches and sometimes 36 and maybe longer if theres a ton of freshies I find the long leader helps to decrease the amount of fish snagged.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fro reds on the Russina river I use a 6wt. lamiglass. Never had problems with it on fish. Also not to be to shift over to fishg for trout once you limit out on reds.

I use russian river flies. I stick to green and white. Why? It's the color that I have the most faith in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK