Thread: Camping Gear Rental - Anchorage

Default Camping Gear Rental - Anchorage

I have a friend who is taking a group of boy scouts on a 2 week camping/hiking adventure trip. They'll be flying into Anchorage from the lower 48. They are looking at buying/renting some camping gear (stoves, water filters, water jugs, etc....) once they get to Anchorage. This will be car based camping, not back packing. If they buy items, they'll end up dontating the equipment to a local boy scout troop. Are there any good sources for renting gear in Anchorage. Thanks.

Been a few years since my son was in Scouts, but our troop (214) would sometimes loan items to visiting troops (canoes, paddles, etc.) They would usually leave us with full gas cans and maybe a donation. I would contact the BSA Council office on Patterson 337-9547 and see if they could put the word out to some of their larger troops. I suspect you'll find a willing partner.

If you are heading down the KP peninsula you can always rent from Max in Sterling

You can also check out REI in Anchorage. I'm not sure of the variety of items they have, but it might be worth looking at. http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#Alaska
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Talk about timing! I just talked with Sean Hegarty and Amy Grove of Anchorage Outdoor Rentals and I think they could be perfect for your group. They've got the car camping gear, hip boots, fishing rods and whatever else you might need for this little adventure. Give them a shout and let us know how it all came out!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I hope you had a good time with the scouts. I loved the boy scout adventures growing up. I know the thread is old but if you come again this year you might consider renting from locals here on gearspoke.com. It might be cheaper then a place like REI.