Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Rifle 4 Black Bear Over Bait

Default Best Rifle 4 Black Bear Over Bait

I have done a search on this topic and found that most just use whatever rifle they have from 243 and up. My question to you guys is if you where to buy a rifle for just black bear baitting what would you buy and why. Of course I could prolly' find other uses for it as well.
    This will be my first year bear baitting. I have a 270 roy and an 8mm rem mag. for big game rifles. I know these will work but I was thinking more along the lines of an open sighted lever gun or.....
    Would a 44 mag lever be enough without edging towards too light? Maybe a 444 or even a 35 rem? What do you guys think? A 44 mag would be cool if I could carry the same ammo as my pistol.

Thanks, Jake

First I agree that the guns you already have would do the job, with the right bullet. If I were going to hunt over bait at close range out to 100yds
    My choice would be a Marlin 450 or 45/70. Big bullet, big hole, big blood trail, Its all a good thing. Everyone has their own thinking about scoped or not. I like a low power, quality scopes with see through flip up covers. Them dang critters seem to come in for me right at last shooting light, and these old eyes ain't much.

Ive shot three bears over the years from bait stands.I used my 45-70 with handloads;400 grain Barnes @1800 fps.Never had to worry about blood trail,they all dropped in there tracks.Dam,,,bear sounds pretty yummy right about now.

I too like big guns & big holes that go all the way through.
    444, 450, & 45-70 would all be great! A Marlin in 35 Rem or 375 Winchester would be slick too.
    That said, heavy bullets driven from a good .44 mag lever gun would be fine. My wife has a Win. Trapper carbine in .44 mag & I wouldn't hesitate to use it with the same loads I use in my Mod. 29 revolver. 300 or 320 hardcast bullets driven at 1300-1350 in the 8&3/8 barreled revolver. They did 1550fps in my 14" Contender, & I'm not sure what they would do in the 16" barreled carbine. 1625-1650???
    For that matter I hunt with handguns or bows & have no problem with the revolver for hunting over bait, or out to about 75 yds on blackbear. I have a red dot sight on mine & have been considering sticking one on the carbine too. Would be a slick little gun.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking 450

I have shot one black bear with my Marlin 450 and it set him down right now. I like open sights in a tree stand. I did practice a bunch and found that I had to position myself to absorb the recoil when dangling from 15' up. What a blast though.

There have been alot of responses so far for the 45-70/450 marlin. I would think that @ anywhere from a 20-50 yd. shot a cart. with a lil' bit less power would be completly appropriate. I'm not against getting a 45-70, or 450 marlin, Infact I would like to have one. I just kinda want somthing a little bit diff.

Keep em' comin, Thanks Jake

.44 mag, .45 LC or .454 lever gun would be great for close range baiting, and you could carry the same ammo for your wheelgun.

Default Thirtyfives

Probably two of the most underated would be the .358 Win and the .35 Remington. Both with a 200 grain softpoint are more than enough from a bait stand.

You did not say though, how far your stand was from the bait. It could make a difference.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm using my 375 H&H. I hope I don't get blown out of the tree.

Default Flying Bear

I hope you will be able to find the bear when he lands in the next zip code!

Default Distance:

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Probably two of the most underated would be the .358 Win and the .35 Remington. Both with a 200 grain softpoint are more than enough from a bait stand.

You did not say though, how far your stand was from the bait. It could make a difference.
    I have not located a good spot yet. I hope to find one in the next weak or two. I have a few areas that look good. I would guess some where between 15-40 yds.

Jake

Default Great Post

I was thinking the same question today. Getting ready to hunt over bait for the first time and all I have are scoped rifles. Couldn't bring my safe up here when I moved up last year, so I stored it and much of the goodies at my folks house.

One thing I don't have is a lever gun. Had a couple over the years in 444 and 30-30--kind miss them now that I think of it. But if there was ever a situation ideal for using an open sight or scout scoped lever, over bait would seem to be it. My hunting partner is going to bow hunt--I slipped on the ice last month and thought I broke my arm and am laying the bow down till the fall--so will be shooting.

We will be setting the stand up however within bow range of the bait. At the distance already discussed, 15-20 yrds, would ya'll still lean towards a 45-70 over a 44?

Will

are you looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, such as a new marlin? i'd go 45/70, but i'm limited on experience. that's just what i'd get if i had the money.

I'd say a good shot placement with any gun you own would do the trick
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default get a grip!

NOT any gun!

Try to be helpful if you can figure out how!

Look, shot placement is important however, with bears you also need a good penetrating piece of metal.

Monkey boy's info to you at best is incomplete,.........and I'll leave it at that.

Default Bear Gun

My choice is a Marlin 450. Great gun for bear... and moose,too. Just remember that a 450 / .45-70 is a "hundred yard gun" and maybe you can shoot it to 150 yds. Then again, all the bears and moose I ever seen taken here in Maine were under 100 yards!

LOL,,,isnt that the truth.Hes always looking to chime in no matter if he has any real info..I believe what ever gun you choose ,you a well constructed bullet.Its hard to beat the 45-70,I was very impressed with it on black bear.And what a rush,talk about buck,,errr bear fever,,,when my first bear came to the bait my heart started to pound.Very cool,what a feeling.My first bear walked right between the trees where my stand was built.I shot that bear at about 20 feet.

Default My first bear over bait

i shot it with a smith and wesson 8 3/8 barrel in 357 with 157grn hollow points at maybe 15 to 20 yards max. it ran maybe 30 yards and climbed a tree and blew a death moan and fell all with in a few seconds. I admit i had no idea my dad was packing people loads. but a lung shot worked.

so i think whatever you pick you be fine if not over gunned. but like you said, then you have a gun for other things too. good luck.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 04-06-2007 at 08:01. Reason: forgot caliber

Wink short barreled lever gun

guide gun in .444 or .450 marlin, .45-70 will knock all flat. a fiber optic front sight and a ghost ring rear sight would be a nice touch as well.

bear rug....

Default How much penetration out of the .357?

I would like to hear how the .357 did on your bear.

Regardless of rifle--I will also pack a 44 wheel gun. I have taken a ton of deer and hogs with handgun, but never a bear (period). I thought it would be cool to take my first bear with a handgun, esp considering the closer distances invovled with our setup. I am very accurate with it, and confident I can make a well placed shot. I am uncertain, however, of 44 handgun performance on black bear. Seems like a downward shot into the shoulder area has some fairly significant bone to crunch. Anyone with experience using 44mag in the 240gr range on bears?

Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast