Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose,wolves,bears

Default Moose,wolves,bears

F&G was doing a Stikine moose count last week 86.The neat thing is pics they came back with from the count showing two wolves killing a black bear.When they flew back over about three hours later the eagles were on what little was left of the bear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Oh MY......

2 Apex Predators eating each other, and a 3rd one enjoying it

Its Lonely at the Top.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Pics? Did someone mention pics?

Have they released any picures from it?

There is one pic on the front page of the Wrangell paper this week but the quaility is poor and B&W.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Never know what them eagles are capable of........

Once seen a eagle with a 15 ft wingspan knock a grizzly off a ledge, it fell over 150 ft straight down, killing the bear, 20 minutes later the eagle was feasting on it !!!

Actually a true story, was spotting high up in the mountains and seen a bear a a greater distance than we realized, next day was able to get on top of the mountain, found where a sow & 2 cubs ran in a single big bear, split them up, the sow was chased for quite a distance, but with only one of the cubs, the other was the one made it into the rocks, and ledge, we watched, could only see one bear, thinking it was a averge size grizzly, lol, it probably weighed 20 lbs, when the eagle flared and hit it knocking it over the edge, well,,the eagle looked huge..........what a day.....

Reindeer herders despise Eagles far more than Wolves, when it comes to loseing Calfs in Spring and Summer.

Wolves can be kept away with attentive herding and a lantern, Eagles just show up and fall outta the sky,'Bam', no matter whos around.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Never know what them eagles are capable of........

Once seen a eagle with a 15 ft wingspan knock a grizzly off a ledge, it fell over 150 ft straight down, killing the bear, 20 minutes later the eagle was feasting on it !!!

Actually a true story, was spotting high up in the mountains and seen a bear a a greater distance than we realized, next day was able to get on top of the mountain, found where a sow & 2 cubs ran in a single big bear, split them up, the sow was chased for quite a distance, but with only one of the cubs, the other was the one made it into the rocks, and ledge, we watched, could only see one bear, thinking it was a averge size grizzly, lol, it probably weighed 20 lbs, when the eagle flared and hit it knocking it over the edge, well,,the eagle looked huge..........what a day.....
    wow, you watched an eagle kill a bear...thats freakin awsome man. two of the neatest things i've seen in nature include a pod of orcas successfully hunting sea lions up close, and a big golden eagle hit a fox as it was coming out of a patch of willows with a ptarmigan in the brooks range...could actually hear the fox give a bit of a yelp and that was all she wrote...awsome, fox entree with a bit of tundra chicken for desert. predators....

Seeing some of these incredible acts of nature is like the Good Lord lets you get a glimpse into the unusual rarities of the animal world, when i was young i found a 34 in moose that had,, (my 'logic') been rubbing his velvet off inbetween 2 spruce trees, about 9 ft up the trees they were 4-5 ft apart, but closer down about 4 ft above ground level the trees were about 2 ft across, the branches were mostly broken off except for the side oppisite him, this was late november, mostly skeleton with hair all around. Could tell he got his antlers inbetween the trees then got his head wedged down and under a big branch on the back side. heck of a way to die,,, but i'm sure nature kills thousands of different ways......no pic's except in the shadows of memory..

I'll never forget a video I saw years and years ago, of a huge golden eagle snatching a bighorn sheep lamb by the head and pulling it off a cliff face. The eagle held on, and in slow motion I remember seeing it's massive muscles flex in it's wings when it took the brunt of the weight as it cleared the cliff. All he did as hold the weight and soar to the bottom of the valley.....no flapping of wings whatsoever. It was a fantastic shot...

Not unusual around here. On Kuiu Island the black bear is about 10% of the wolves diet. The wolf is the top of the food chain, black bear is a little lower. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Not unusual around here. On Kuiu Island the black bear is about 10% of the wolves diet. The wolf is the top of the food chain, black bear is a little lower. Jim
    Jim..........do you ever feel like you were born 100 years to late like I do...???...lol You make a great avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post

Once seen a eagle with a 15 ft wingspan
    15 feet!! Musta been the mystical Thunderbird stretching its wings!

As I said, it was at a greater distance than we realized.

Not realizing it was a 'fresh' 20 lb grizzly cub, the eagle looked like it ate mystical thunderbirds for breakfast and grizzlys for lunch.
    Amazing how a couple of experienced ol dogs were decieved by distance that day,,,

Ah no worries, I'm just giving you a hard time man.
    Bet even the Planet Earth cinematographers would have loved to have there $1,000,000 cameras pointed at that!

4merguide, sometimes, then Id think about having to walk everywhere and come to the realization that this time is just fine. It is nice to have that nice synthetic sleeping bag and nylon tent and especially the firefly camping stove. Life is good, I still get to use the old style firearms! Jim

Folks we are getting old. A hundred years to late don't get you back far enough anymore.I want to get back when Gramps was born not Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'll never forget a video I saw years and years ago, of a huge golden eagle snatching a bighorn sheep lamb by the head and pulling it off a cliff face. The eagle held on, and in slow motion I remember seeing it's massive muscles flex in it's wings when it took the brunt of the weight as it cleared the cliff. All he did as hold the weight and soar to the bottom of the valley.....no flapping of wings whatsoever. It was a fantastic shot...

Early 90's while fishing around outer point in Juneau, my buddy and I witness a bald eagle catch a salmon too big for it to take off with. The bird swam to shore by paddling its wings. It **** near drown. Was amazing.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've seen a few bald eagles lose their life that way and some make it.The golden eagle of the interior is a bit more bird than the bald eagle.When these birds grab something they need something solid under their pray to release it properly as the talons work as a unit and not one talon at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast