Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Morning!

Default Good Morning!

Its been dripping now for two days, and old tiimers here say its when Bears wake up, from the drips....so far, It seems correct.........

Came over the South ridge this morning about 6 am , towing my nephew home after a 2 am call, with his moms ride, and I was full power towing up the ridge and cresting it for the easy ride down. I crested at full power and brought the front down in landing , and nearly crashed into this guy. I actually hit the breaks and veared not to do so. Just over edge of the rocks and "Good Morning!"

He ran ito the clump of rocks, and I got out my camera as he came full circle and passed us by about 20 feet from where we stopped, and he didnt look back

His rear print is bigger than my sz11 Baffins.

I wanted to catch him right then and there, but the , when we rode down the ridge a ways he crossed the creek below and slowed so we had a second look, and decided he was too big to deal with, as well, I had no sled, no spare gas or fresh help, so we laghed a good one, said "See ya later!!!" to our friend and carried on home. Im gonna sleep early tonight ~~LOL!!~~.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

nice chip! that should be a dandy with a rear foot like that...ought to have plenty of meat and grease. gonna track him up or was your farewell for good?

Dang son! thats awesome
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Dang son! thats awesome
    Awsome, yes, Son, no I have 7 grandkids, and a few kids your age around ~~LOL!!~~

As for Bear Hunting, I make no plans, I shop around.

Folks here have a notion not to mention, plan or talk about Hunting Bears. Its cultural, and not for anyone to understand but them. If you ask someone how big there Bear is, they will alwas say "not that Big" or such. Dave probly said nothing at all about it and my wife tells me to shut up whan Im talking up Bears, soooooo, between you and me, 'I dont know" When no one listens and only looks, I shut up long ago and let 'em see.

Besides, it appears my engine parts are "In the Mail", so who knows what well run into, but I have no doubts I'll be eating such soon.

****, i may need to move things up!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

one of my close friends does all his spring bear hunting last week of march up outa kotz...he's got 3 booner grizz with unreal hair that he's taken in -30 temps on snowshoes, no machines. He's hard core but he finds that one bear thats out running around.

always liked the "drip" theory.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Awsome, yes, Son, no I have 7 grandkids, and a few kids your age around ~~LOL!!~~

As for Bear Hunting, I make no plans, I shop around.

Folks here have a notion not to mention, plan or talk about Hunting Bears. Its cultural, and not for anyone to understand but them. If you ask someone how big there Bear is, they will alwas say "not that Big" or such. Dave probly said nothing at all about it and my wife tells me to shut up whan Im talking up Bears, soooooo, between you and me, 'I dont know" When no one listens and only looks, I shut up long ago and let 'em see.

Besides, it appears my engine parts are "In the Mail", so who knows what well run into, but I have no doubts I'll be eating such soon.
    Ahahaha you know its true! Your just young at heart
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

In March, "Den Hunting" used to be common. This guy was up and moveing, his tracks were eveident for a couple miles from where we met.

Its not hard to find a den after a march warm up, tracking, as the Bears return to their dens after such when it gets cold. The colder, the better. You can track em to their dens and get 'em there sometimes. Temps drop and you can walk/ride/fly the tracks to the den and do yer thang. A very tradional way to hunt Bears when the fat is needed in the Spring.
    Brown Bears will smash right out of a hole, full blast, best to be uphill, Blacks will wake "Slowly". It only takes a bit of noise to get a brown to come out, its a spooky thing to sit above a hole ~~LOL!!~~ drive a machine there, and he may not come out at all. Alot will have their dens in washouts and upper creek beds, so Park above and walk down it the trick.

If it drips, they come out. So far that theory has proven correct. My Fatherinlaw, Joe was a Bear Hunter that makes us here look amaturish, and luckily enough, he showed/taught me some cool tricks, tips and ways to catch, skin, butcher and cut for cooking, Bears of differing kinds, and advised me on how them old folks precive a Bear acts, and rules to follow on my conduct around Bears. As well, Joe never said "Bear" they always said "He" or "Him".

Im glad I had the camera and am young till I die ~~LOL!!~~

Don't you dare try and catch that bear with the ole M39, I'll turn you in to the internet police!! Everybody KNOWS that gun and caliber is not upto the task, so just don't do it! In that aspect though, if I was there I would use my G20 longslide with hardcast 10mm! With the M44 as back up of course! ~LOL~

In March, "Den Hunting" used to be common. This guy was up and moveing, his tracks were eveident for a couple miles from where we met.

Its not hard to find a den after a march warm up, tracking, as the Bears return to their dens after such when it gets cold. The colder, the better. You can track em to their dens and get 'em there sometimes. Temps drop and you can walk/ride/fly the tracks to the den and do yer thang. A very tradional way to hunt Bears when the fat is needed in the Spring.
    Brown Bears will smash right out of a hole, full blast, best to be uphill, Blacks will wake "Slowly". It only takes a bit of noise to get a brown to come out, its a spooky thing to sit above a hole ~~LOL!!~~ drive a machine there, and he may not come out at all. Alot will have their dens in washouts and upper creek beds, so Park above and walk down it the trick.

If it drips, they come out. So far that theory has proven correct. My Fatherinlaw, Joe was a Bear Hunter that makes us here look amaturish, and luckily enough, he showed/taught me some cool tricks, tips and ways to catch, skin, butcher and cut for cooking, Bears of differing kinds, and advised me on how them old folks precive a Bear acts, and rules to follow on my conduct around Bears. As well, Joe never said "Bear" they always said "He" or "Him".

Im glad I had the camera and am young till I die ~~LOL!!~~
    we never approached within a mile of a den with snowgos...big boars will bail at the sound of machines. my boss and i have both had boars sit in their dens and growl at us while we waited for them to come boiling out, some wont come at all until your gone, and once i had a big boar i'd sat on all day come out in the dark in a storm while we were in our tents...in the spring of 08 i missed my spot i'd found a den on while sidehilling and came about four yards from walking directly into an occupied den in crappy light...he growled at me and i bout **** myself...note to self: remember your landmarks and watch where the **** your walking. that boar wouldnt come out after he knew what was going on.

an old timer i know speaks of dropping little containers of ammonia down occupied holes and killing them as they came out raging...this was in the late sixties and seventies and ****ty ethics for sure, but an interesting way to bear hunt nonetheless...

amaturish eh? **** i'd like to meet that fellow...god himself no doubt

nice job being quick on the camera stranger...thanks for sharing...heres to good luck on any future "he" or "him" hunts you find yourself on....

Buddy cut a set of tracks today in the Susitna Valley
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

crawled in a fresh den once..no water in it. no drips or nothing. musta just been time. might depend on location and ground make up as well.
    my village always said "catch" , never said shoot or hunt. just catch,that way the "he's and hims" didn't know they were coming for "them".

had a bear stick in his hole for three days, only come out at night when i wasn't sittin' on it. 4th day he left...shouldn't have done that. left tracks to where he left his tracks and joined mine.

how many blackies you guys got up in that area stranger?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

[QUOTE=ninefoot;1101465]amaturish eh? **** i'd like to meet that fellow...god himself no doubt
    QUOTE]

God he's not.......... amaturish , you and I, compared to him, no doubt at all. I bet he woulda liked to meet you.

As a youth in the 1920's he would take his dogteam up "The Road North" he called it right after freeze up , pushing his sled his dogs were pulling , full of supplies. He crossed the Noatak and over the Brooks to the head of the Coaville, and then on down to the ocean and spent his winters on the Beufort Sea Trapping Arctic fox and Hunting polar Bears. He used a 25-35 and 3 trained dogs to track and distract the Bears, on the moveing, shifting Icepack, in the Polar Night. He would take a seal and flense it and drag it in a 20 mile circle and bait it about 50 yards from his tent, and when th edogs woke him up or he cut tracks while on his rout, he Chased that Bear till he had it or couldnt.
    His way back would be a sloppy sled ride to a breaking up Kobuk River, and if breakup came early , a boat made of willows and canvas or caribou hides would take him down the river to Noatak village, wher ehe could catch a ride to Kotzebue in a much better boat.
    He got 31 polar Bears his best year, he camped out at a dead Whale carcass,and sold them for 25$ a foot in length. The Fox, back before the Depression killed the Fur trade south could get him 50-75$ each. A brand new '94 Winchester and a case of .25-35 was 60$ landed. When the Stock Market Crashed, joe was offerd a job on a ship to Kotzebue sound, where he shoveled
    He Hunted Brown Bears and Black Bears more for the meat more than the hides, and his springtime favorits was to get up a bunch of meat and bounty the scalps to Reindeer Herders in the area, untill the 50's, and still he did well on the Ocean. He gave it up when his vision wasnt so hot anymore and he would have a hard time sighting a rifle. Age got 'em, as it all of us.
    A stroke knocked him back in 2000, at age 97, he lived untill 2007 and passed away, Bear meat was his favorite, and he never refused a piece I would bring 'em till the end.

As well, he helped raise his Cousin Art Fields of Kotzebue, a noted Bear Hunter and guide, takeing Art along as he watched him, taught him to Hunt.
    I only followed Joe a couple times, and to see in person is the best way to learn, although I took a time to understand....but once you understand the idea of relating a Hunt in third party, its a cool subject to bring up among Men. These older folks will talk of each other, barely of themselfs, so as not to brag or boast.

Ah, you posted whist I wrote, BRWNBR.

Yes, indeed, we have plenty of Black Bears up this way.3 is our limit , but it might go to 4 again. We have Trees and all the Willows a Bear could use.

I've been in a couple three dens in fall, looking for a missing man in S&R, but never a Spring den. First hand...... That has to be interesting in smell and pucker factor, being 'fresh' and all........Dry and cozy?
    The ones I looked in were fresh dug, but no Bedding, Bears or Body, and we made sure before going up in............Well, certainly if its dripping above ground, its time to look for Bears.

The M-44 woulda been nice for back up, bayonett and all ~~LOL!!~~

The Season we so enjoy so has arrived, Bear Hunters.

[QUOTE=strangerinastrangeland;1101495]
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    amaturish eh? **** i'd like to meet that fellow...god himself no doubt
    QUOTE]

God he's not.......... amaturish , you and I, compared to him, no doubt at all. I bet he woulda liked to meet you.

As a youth in the 1920's he would take his dogteam up "The Road North" he called it right after freeze up , pushing his sled his dogs were pulling , full of supplies. He crossed the Noatak and over the Brooks to the head of the Coaville, and then on down to the ocean and spent his winters on the Beufort Sea Trapping Arctic fox and Hunting polar Bears. He used a 25-35 and 3 trained dogs to track and distract the Bears, on the moveing, shifting Icepack, in the Polar Night. He would take a seal and flense it and drag it in a 20 mile circle and bait it about 50 yards from his tent, and when th edogs woke him up or he cut tracks while on his rout, he Chased that Bear till he had it or couldnt.
    His way back would be a sloppy sled ride to a breaking up Kobuk River, and if breakup came early , a boat made of willows and canvas or caribou hides would take him down the river to Noatak village, wher ehe could catch a ride to Kotzebue in a much better boat.
    He got 31 polar Bears his best year, he camped out at a dead Whale carcass,and sold them for 25$ a foot in length. The Fox, back before the Depression killed the Fur trade south could get him 50-75$ each. A brand new '94 Winchester and a case of .25-35 was 60$ landed. When the Stock Market Crashed, joe was offerd a job on a ship to Kotzebue sound, where he shoveled
    He Hunted Brown Bears and Black Bears more for the meat more than the hides, and his springtime favorits was to get up a bunch of meat and bounty the scalps to Reindeer Herders in the area, untill the 50's, and still he did well on the Ocean. He gave it up when his vision wasnt so hot anymore and he would have a hard time sighting a rifle. Age got 'em, as it all of us.
    A stroke knocked him back in 2000, at age 97, he lived untill 2007 and passed away, Bear meat was his favorite, and he never refused a piece I would bring 'em till the end.

As well, he helped raise his Cousin Art Fields of Kotzebue, a noted Bear Hunter and guide, takeing Art along as he watched him, taught him to Hunt.
    I only followed Joe a couple times, and to see in person is the best way to learn, although I took a time to understand....but once you understand the idea of relating a Hunt in third party, its a cool subject to bring up among Men. These older folks will talk of each other, barely of themselfs, so as not to brag or boast.
    thats neat stuff stranger...thanx alot for sharing. definitely heard of art fields a time or two. thanks again for sharing...ninety seven....if only some of us will stay tuff that long. heres to great old hunters who came before us...

Quote "...its a cool subject to bring up among Men. These older folks will talk of each other, barely of themselfs, so not to brag or boast".
    How true, its been my admiratation of these elders/older folks for doing so, while most of us talk of our bears hunts and friends hunts with regards to bears, is simply amazing how these Men unselfishly would keep their own doings with catching bears out of their conservations.
    Times sure have changed.
    Thanks for all the pictures/updates in you lifes doings Stranger !!

Ah, you posted whist I wrote, BRWNBR.

Yes, indeed, we have plenty of Black Bears up this way.3 is our limit , but it might go to 4 again. We have Trees and all the Willows a Bear could use.

I've been in a couple three dens in fall, looking for a missing man in S&R, but never a Spring den. First hand...... That has to be interesting in smell and pucker factor, being 'fresh' and all........Dry and cozy?
    The ones I looked in were fresh dug, but no Bedding, Bears or Body, and we made sure before going up in............Well, certainly if its dripping above ground, its time to look for Bears.

The M-44 woulda been nice for back up, bayonett and all ~~LOL!!~~

The Season we so enjoy so has arrived, Bear Hunters.
    indeed...tis the season chip.

lol...and smell and pucker factor is very evident in spring dens...but some DO NOT appear to be very cozy. in western alaska where the hillsides are fairly soft, some of them are just shallow little depressions in the hill...then the snow does the rest. and then some are very elaborate with lots of work seemingly put into their construction...chewed willows and alders and very deep...those seem very cozy compared to the surrounding winter world...but ones things for sure, being in a den that a bear you just "caught" recently lived in is a touch creepy...at least for me. kinda neat, but surely creepy.

gotta admit i caught myself wondering if they make a bayonet for a model seventy...just for a minute...a fleeting thought... have fun out there and good luck stranger.

The #13 post Chip was a great read! Sounded like one hell of a guy to have met and known. We'll see about the bayonet being put to use on a bear, Brian has a new fancy vid cam! You'll be the first to know if it goes down, lol.

[QUOTE=strangerinastrangeland;1101452]In March, "Den Hunting" used to be common. This guy was up and moveing, his tracks were eveident for a couple miles from where we met.

That's 'cause black bears are true hibernants while browns and grizzlies are not. They may, and often do, come out several times during the winter. A black bear has a system that virtually shuts down during hibernation.

[QUOTE=Grizzly 2;1101588]

That's 'cause black bears are true hibernants while browns and grizzlies are not. They may, and often do, come out several times during the winter. A black bear has a system that virtually shuts down during hibernation.
    wow grizzly 2...thanks for the biology lesson. they teach ya that in florida?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast