Thread: Crampons

Default Crampons

I thank those who responded to my question on sleeping pads. Now I have another question, what type of crampon (I think I spelled it right) do you like or not like? They will be used on a late Oct goat hunt and I have been told we will be crossing some glaciars. I have no experience with these (obviously) so I would like to get them this fall so I could at least try them this coming winter on hills to see what they are like. Thanks Tony

Well, first of all you need to decide if you'll be needing strap-on crampons or pneumatic ones. I have a pair of strap-on Grivel crampons that have served me well, though I rarely ever need them. Sorry, don't know the exact model.

-Brian

Default Crampons

Do you really need them? They usually just add weight to your pack and don't get used.
    If you truly need crampons, then the instep ones are a bad idea. Get the mountaineering style. I have used both aluminum and steel. The steel have more bite and i preffer them. The alluminum ones are inexpensive ($100+-) and work. Hunting boots are not meant for crampons, so take your boots to the store with you. Consider length and width of boot. Hunting boots can be a little wide at the ball of the foot. Big feet will have fewer choices. My boots like the straps as a binding. The old Military Surplus crampons work, but would not be my first or second choice... but they can be inexpensive.

There are some other things to remember.
    --Gators are a good idea as winter approaches not only to keep you dry, but also for the added warmth even if there is no snow yet. You will put holes in them, so use your old pair.
    --Ski poles are great but consider a very long ice ax to double as a walking stick or use ski poles with the ice ax head.
    --I don't do glaciers, but consider crampons a must for heavy snow or late season grass that has died, layed down, and turned slimy.
    --Rubber fittings for the teeth will protect your pack.
    --Talk with someone who has used crampons before and read a book. There are many safety issues to consider other than the cliff you are walking above. I use mine on snow covered mixed terrain (rocks & tundra). Rocks and crampons don't really mix, but can be better than not going hunting or falling a long long ways with a sudden stop!