Thread: .338 Win Mag

Default .338 Win Mag

Those of you who are shooting this Cal what are you using and why? I just bought one and havent shot it yet and want to know what are the better shooting. I understand every gun shots better with different kinds.

Some folks don't like the 338 they say the recoil is to much for them... Anyhow I have a ruger 77 mkII with limbsaver pad and I shoot 225 hornady's for black bears and for the bigger things in life I shoot the old and long forgotten speer granslams out of it, but you cant go wrong with a 250 barnes or partition. I cannot get that thing to shoot Nosler partitions to save my life. I reload my choce of powder is H-4350 and CCI 250 primers.

I feed mine with handloaded 225grain Partitions or 225grain Hornady Interlock Spire Points over 72 grains RL22 and CCI 250, both shoot very well, sub-moa, out of my Ruger 77 MK II.

I get about 1in groups using Winchester Supreme 225gr accubonds from my Savage 116. I get even better groups from the 230gr Failsafes but Winchester quit making them. Shot the 200gr ballsitic tips as well and grouping opened up to 2in. From my experience the heavier bullets tend to group tighter in 338wm. Could not get the 210gr Winchester power points and the old Federal 210gr to group very well at all.

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I have worked up several loads in the 338 for a couple different rifles but the one I'm currently loading for a buddy of mine is the 250gr Nosler Accubond @ 2650fps with H4831sc. Its not a speed demon but its very accurate in his rifle and has proven very effective on game.

Its nice to see alot of people reloading i wish i had all the equipment to do that also. I was looking into the barnes 225gr see house those shoot. I also wrote down others ideas one day i will get all the stuff for reloading. I dont get to shoot till next weekend so i will report more then thank you.

Picked up a howa 1500 338WM this winter. Got a few loads ready and will hopefully get out this week to try em. I'll let you know results.

Have you checked the price of good 338 ammo recently? Get yourself a single stage press, a set of dies and a few other bits. The reloading gear will pay for itself in about 100rds!

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Picked up a howa 1500 338WM this winter. Got a few loads ready and will hopefully get out this week to try em. I'll let you know results.

Have you checked the price of good 338 ammo recently? Get yourself a single stage press, a set of dies and a few other bits. The reloading gear will pay for itself in about 100rds!
    Ya those prices are steep! soon as i get settle down i will look in to buying one. I got the Benelli R1 and will get to shoot it next weekend pretty excited.

I have been shooting and loading for the .338 Win. Mag. since about 1975. I mainly used 250 grain Nosler Partitions and H4831. That big heavy slug is a killer on Alaskan game. Over a 10 year period I used it on bear, moose and caribou and recovered 3 bullets, they weighed between 175 and 180 grains, typical Partition performance. In about 1985 I started using the 225 grain Barnes X bullet and Reloader 19 powder with Fed. 215 Mag. primers and Win. brass. Shot bear, moose, caribou and a wolf with that bullet. I recovered one bullet that weighed 224 grains. That shot was a little low between the eyes of the moose at about 30'. the bullet went down it's neck, through 2 ribs and lodged in a 3rd rib. When the 250 grain Barnes X came out a couple of years later I switched to them and I am still using them at about 2,650 FPS MV from a 23" barrel. I have never recovered one of those bullets. When I find a bullet I like I usually buy a bunch and components with the same lot number. That way prior to hunting season I can spend my time at the range instead of the loading bench. Deciding on a bullet can be time consuming and expensive so I stick with the same bullets for a long time. The Nosler Partition, Barnes X and Swift bullets have been around for a long time and the basic bullet style has really not changed much and have very good reputations. I have not used Swift bullets, but many others have. My son-in-law and several others have asked me about .338 loads. I tell all of them to get a 250 pieces of Win. brass, a 1,000 Fed 215 Mag. Match Primers, a 8 lb. keg of Reloader 19 powder and start with 73 grains. Then find the correct seating depth for the 225 grain Barnes X bullet and go kill some thing. I know others use different loads and bullets with success. I also know the information I shared is correct. Some of the bullets we have today have changed my thoughts on bullet weight and sectional density, the old requirements for penetration. Heck, I might end up shooting a 210 grain Barnes X bullet some day, I am sure it would kill as good as the 250 grain Partition. Good luck.

I'm not a reloader so I buy factory ammo. I shoot the Ruger M77 .338 with a VX2 Scope and a limbsaver butt pad (a must have). I originally started using the Federal Premium Nosler Partition 210 gr . First moose I shot with it was a quartering shoulder shot. The bullet basically blew up at the shoulder and I took a second broadside shot later and dropped it. The original bullet when I butchered the meat didn't really penetrate. It hit the bone and blew up which was not a fatal wound by any means, plus I lost about 1/2 the shoulder. I switched to Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 200 gr and not only can I group a quarter at 200 yards, the first moose I shot with it took 3 steps and dropped like a sack of potatoes. I never found the bullet, but obviously did the job. I had very little meat damage. I know its a light round for a .338 but I have extreme confidence in it. I'd like 225 gr but they don't factory load them. They run 57-60 bucks a box.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Ya those prices are steep! soon as i get settle down i will look in to buying one. I got the Benelli R1 and will get to shoot it next weekend pretty excited.

Let us know how you like the Benelli...I like the looks of the R1 and I'm not too big on autoloaders in general but the R1 in .338 sure lookls interesting. The 180 Accubond is a nice lighter game slug and is a hard hitter if your rifle likes them.

A word of caution- handloading for automatics can be a bit of a tricky proposition.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

to the op.....the 2 I load for here have 250 Partitions....why? I get very good penetration. In my .338-06 I use the RN Hornady 250's. Just the way I roll.

I've only killed a few whitetails, two brown bears and a moose with my .338 WM so take my opinion for what its worth. I don't think there are many bad choices in projectiles for the .338 WM. I've used Hornady SP and TSX both in 225 grains weights for bears--couln't tell any difference as they both produced very dead bears. I've used 200 NBT, 225 Hornady SP, 250 Hornady RN & 250 SGKs for whitetails with rather dramatic effect. This past winter I shot a moose with 225 NABs and the moose acted as if a freight train collided with him. I bought a passel of the 225 NABs a while back and I'm giving them a workout as they have a fairly high b.c. (around .550) and good terminal results. IMO the .338 WM is an effective killing cartridge with most bullet selections.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Nothing wrong with the Barnes 225 TTSX. I reload and am happy with the accuracy (1-1/4" @ 200 yds last time at the range), and the biggest animal I've shot (bison) with the combo didn't like the 225 too much.

Ruger 77MKII here too, Stainless, laminated stock, limbsaver. Good weight for the caliber, recoil a non issue. 225g Barnes TSX handloads.

I need some help Please. I have the Benelli R1 in .338 Win Mag i have shot the hornady and barnes Vortex and cant get the gun to group at all i have a Burris Fullfield E1 3x9. I have shot a box and a half of shells at 50 yards its ok but still big groups then at 100 and 200 hundred yards im lucky to shot a basketball twice in three shots. Any thing would help me gain back my sanity.

I need some help Please. I have the Benelli R1 in .338 Win Mag i have shot the hornady and barnes Vortex and cant get the gun to group at all i have a Burris Fullfield E1 3x9. I have shot a box and a half of shells at 50 yards its ok but still big groups then at 100 and 200 hundred yards im lucky to shot a basketball twice in three shots. Any thing would help me gain back my sanity.
    Have you checked that all of the screws are snug in the base/rings? If your answer is yes to the first question I'd mount another scope that is known to be good and see if that solves your issue. IME the issue you describe is normally due to a failure in the sighting equipment.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Have you checked that all of the screws are snug in the base/rings? If your answer is yes to the first question I'd mount another scope that is known to be good and see if that solves your issue. IME the issue you describe is normally due to a failure in the sighting equipment.
    i will check that first thing and get back to you.

Those of you who are shooting this Cal what are you using and why? I just bought one and havent shot it yet and want to know what are the better shooting. I understand every gun shots better with different kinds.
    Certainly one of the finest performing cal's I have used over the years on my Sambar.
    210gr TSX bought em down fast. 210gr TTSX's were even better!
    Shots could be made at any angle knowing you will reach the vitals, resulting in a quick humane kill!

The only downside is they tend to have sharp recoil, more so than my old 375H&H, which was like a big ol push. But one rarely feels recoil in the field. And Caldwell now have fine products for sighting-in

Good stalkin