Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: skulls and relationship to size...

  1. #1
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default skulls and relationship to size...

    i was asked a question on another thread the other day regarding what size skull a certain size bear will generally have. i aswered with the best knowledge i have...my own. so i thought id ask any one who wanted to participate to post something for me here: just speaking brown bears.

    post the hide size (approximate if you didnt square him)

    the unit or area

    the sex

    the skull size

    just thought itd be interesting to hear some different experiences from different areas and if enough guys participate it might give an approximate idea of what to expect of skull sizes from a particular area. pics of skulls would be awsome, but by all means i'd love anyone that has taken a bear to participate (who wants to) even if you dont have pics.

    ill start: in the big chunk of unit 18 and 19 that i guide the following would be a general idea of what to expect based on something close to 30 bears personal experience, and three or four times that observing what other guides have produced in the same country:

    7.5-8.5 foot = 23 to 24 inches (with a couple exceptions: older eight foot class bears with 25+ inch skulls, only two i can remember fit that category and neither taken by me)

    8.5-9 foot =25 to 26 inches

    9 - 9.5 = over 26 with very few exceptions

    9.5 - 10 = usually over 27, with a few exceptions in the high 26



    heres a couple examples:

    hide and skull of a boar from last year...skull is a tad over 26, bear squared a couple inches over nine footDSCN0659.jpg
    a nice one from 08, approaching ten foot hide, 27 3/4 skull sizeZack 018.jpg

  2. #2
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Zack 070.jpg9'3 well over 26


    062.jpg

    skull on left goes to a ten foot two inch bear and went 27 13/16...skull on right belongs to a nine foot six boar and went a good bit over 26...

  3. #3

    Default

    greet post. a friend and me were at a talk about hunting bears where the speaker had lots of graphs about weights and skull sizes all over alaska. wish i had better notes from the talk. do you maybe have that information? thank you so much for your great post abut bears.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    i was asked a question on another thread the other day regarding what size skull a certain size bear will generally have. i aswered with the best knowledge i have...my own. so i thought id ask any one who wanted to participate to post something for me here: just speaking brown bears.

    post the hide size (approximate if you didnt square him)

    the unit or area

    the sex

    the skull size

    just thought itd be interesting to hear some different experiences from different areas and if enough guys participate it might give an approximate idea of what to expect of skull sizes from a particular area. pics of skulls would be awsome, but by all means i'd love anyone that has taken a bear to participate (who wants to) even if you dont have pics.

    ill start: in the big chunk of unit 18 and 19 that i guide the following would be a general idea of what to expect based on something close to 30 bears personal experience, and three or four times that observing what other guides have produced in the same country:

    7.5-8.5 foot = 23 to 24 inches (with a couple exceptions: older eight foot class bears with 25+ inch skulls, only two i can remember fit that category and neither taken by me)

    8.5-9 foot =25 to 26 inches

    9 - 9.5 = over 26 with very few exceptions

    9.5 - 10 = usually over 27, with a few exceptions in the high 26



    heres a couple examples:

    hide and skull of a boar from last year...skull is a tad over 26, bear squared a couple inches over nine footDSCN0659.jpg
    a nice one from 08, approaching ten foot hide, 27 3/4 skull sizeZack 018.jpg

  4. #4
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,461

    Default

    taken a couple honest 10 footers with 26.5-26.75" skulls and taken a few in the 9.6-10 range with skulls in the 26" as well. Only 28"+ skull i've seen came off a 10'4", but a 10'6" we got had a 27 7/8th head.
    I guess i figure 7 footers will be in the low 20's, 8 footers in the mid 20's, 9 footers in the upper 20's and 10 footers in the high 20's....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nikiski, AK
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Hide - 7'7"
    Unit - 14C
    Sex - Sow
    Skull - 20.5"

  6. #6
    Member MTBrownBearHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Squared 9'1"
    Boar
    Kodiak 2008 (Sturgeon River Unit)
    26.25" skull

    Can't wait to get back to Kodiak for a bigger one!

  7. #7
    Member 10PTBUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    85

    Default

    squared 9ft 10inch
    boar
    kodiak--olds river
    26 13/16 skull
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,924

    Default

    Good thread there Zack. I just had a discussion about this with another peninsula guide after the other thread. Over the last several years most of the bears right at ten foot from the south end of the peninsula that I personally know of have had an average skull size of 26 5/8". Been a little busy of late but I'll try to dig up some pics for you.In the meantime here is the video that was floating around the forum of a big unimak bear lets see what everyone thinks of the size and skull and try to guess without cheating as I am sure the measurements are out there,I do personally know the measurements and skull.



    http://www.rrhunting.com/section-2/r...ll-brown-bear/

  9. #9
    Member Ernie Scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    Zack 070.jpg9'3 well over 26


    062.jpg

    skull on left goes to a ten foot two inch bear and went 27 13/16...skull on right belongs to a nine foot six boar and went a good bit over 26...
    Assuming that you're not holding the one on the left closer to the camera it's a fairly noticeable difference in overall size despite just being over an inch by the way of scoring.

  10. #10
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Hide: 9'6"
    Unit: 13
    Sex: Boar
    Skull: 26 10/16"

  11. #11
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Scar View Post
    Assuming that you're not holding the one on the left closer to the camera it's a fairly noticeable difference in overall size despite just being over an inch by the way of scoring.
    nope both at mid arms length, shadows on the smaller skull affect the pic a bit...definitely a noticeable difference between the two, both in hide and skull size. a few inches mean alot when talking bigger bears...though not as noticeable with more average skull/hides...kinda wierd.

  12. #12
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Good thread there Zack. I just had a discussion about this with another peninsula guide after the other thread. Over the last several years most of the bears right at ten foot from the south end of the peninsula that I personally know of have had an average skull size of 26 5/8". Been a little busy of late but I'll try to dig up some pics for you.In the meantime here is the video that was floating around the forum of a big unimak bear lets see what everyone thinks of the size and skull and try to guess without cheating as I am sure the measurements are out there,I do personally know the measurements and skull.



    http://www.rrhunting.com/section-2/r...ll-brown-bear/
    an obvious ten foot class bruiser...i dont know the measurements, but he's a solid six headlengths, high in the hips, and very broad chested when viewed from the front. 9'10 to 10'3...something like that. the caption gives his skull away by claiming he's a booner, i would not venture to ever judge a skull in the field, but if i was forced to his size would make me guess 27 and feel OK about it.......one things for sure...he wouldnt walk, not ever, with any hunter.

  13. #13
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,461

    Default

    soemthing just flat out wrong about big brown bears in caribou country....almost feels like cheating!! but i think i'm just jealous!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  14. #14
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Hide: 9'6"
    Unit: 13
    Sex: Boar
    Skull: 26 10/16"
    Show a pic of that beast of a skull!!

  15. #15
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,461

    Default

    took a 9'11" outa unit 13 that went 26 and 7/8th green if i recal...woulda been a bigger head anywhere else i think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  16. #16
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Hide:9'6"
    Unit:13D
    Sex:Boar
    Skull:26 12/16



    Check out the old suckers teeth,that would sure make you grumpy!!


  17. #17
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    wow, nice job...three monsters from unit 13. those are big ass interior bears.

  18. #18
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    heres a couple more the smaller skull is a little over 25 and comes from a boar out of unit 19 that was 8'8...and sorry the pic is flipped...not sure how to flip it right side up.

    the big skull is a bit of a freak and was one sixteenth over 27 before drying...at only an inch or two over nine foot

    285.jpg385.jpg

  19. #19
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    come on jake...out with a few pics... i know you got some...

  20. #20
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Kotton

    Take your skull to a taxidermist and have him fix those split chompers..That happened when drying. It does it if you use certain chemicals etc. Sometimes just happens over time. The taxidermist can mix a white resign and fill that in where you will not even be able to see it as well as round off those teeth is suggested... IMO takes away from the beauty. It could continue to split and break off down inside, eventually falling out.


    I know Knights does it.

    Just 2 cents..nice skull
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •