Thread: Let's talk child carrier backpack things.

Default Let's talk child carrier backpack things.

The past 2 summers the wife and I have been way less active in the outdoors than we would like since we had our son who is now 2 and we NEED to get out this summer before we get fat and go insane. I am looking for one of those kid backpack things where they ride up on your back/ shoulders . My son is about 34 pounds and 3ish feet tall. Any recommendations ? comfort for me is a must as we use to average 8-12 miles a day so I need a pack that is comfortable.

babysitter?
    Semper Fi!

We have a sitter but that defeats the point we want to make it a family thinganderson our son loves being outside he can hold his own and has walked with us a mile or so but for up in the hills/ rocks I would like to throw him on my back

We had a couple of those REI Sherpani things, they're pretty cadillac:

And the good ol' Bjorn:

" the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Well the Bjorne wil hurt your lower back. still wondering if the damage is permanent. The REI packs are great, but 34 lbs is probably too big for one and you can't take wipies diapers and extra food and clothes. I am now using my Barney's exclusively. carrys everything and even two kids and one sleeps curled up inn there like a cacoon. of course try to find trails that fit a chariot stroller is best to bring even more gear. have fun!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

My wife carries a pack as well for snacks clothes diapers and such so storage isnt a must on the pack. The ones on REI say they can hold a kid up to 48 pounds. Hmm maybe I should just trade in the 4 wheelers for a side by side and strap in a car seat lol. Where is Brian M at?? I think I remmeber a thread where he had one of these packs.

I've got the Dueter and it performs pretty well. I like the lower profile than the sherpani and others and the overall construction is great. Also has a camelbak pouch which is nice. "All up" My son, a diaper or three, milk, sandwich, and water is about 45 #'s works great

We've got two packs - one that was given to us and one that we bought. The one we bought is really nice - easily adjustable, large pockets for carrying gear, a removable rain cover for the kid, and a pretty comfortable strap system. I can't recall the brand details, but I'll ask my wife when she gets home.

The other one was free, so I can't complain. It's simple and sturdy, and that's enough for our uses most of the time. I rarely used it last summer as our oldest usually wants to hike on his own, but it was nice to have a second one at the end of longer hikes when he was ready to just ride on dad's back.

for those reading this thread that are just getting started, I really liked carrying my infant sons in a sling instead of a backpack or other devoted baby carrier system. I had them on the top of pretty tall mountains in this sling and it was always a pleasure to carry.

i just carried in my arms, but only did hike no furthen then 5 miles each way.
    Semper Fi!

We have loads of kids and have tried different approaches. I hate carrying them on the front, or my back does anyways. The Kelty pack sits them up high and has a good range of adjustment. Honestly, a light pack frame can work well with the fold out bottom, either standing, seated facing back, or suspended. I did the standing variant when my third child was four and he loved it. Honestly the pack frame is pretty good on the back too and not as hot as some of the more padded carriers.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Here's how we did it! heh heh

We just tossed Bob in the back of the machine, or put him in a car seat facing backward while the wife kept an eye on him. Of course, super slow riding, but at least it enabled us to get further in the woods before we began hiking.

fall 2006.jpg
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

There are usually a few Kelty kid carriers on Craigslist at any given moment. Some don't have the rain/bug fly but one can either be bought or fabricate something to suit your needs. We just picked up the FC 3.0 and love it thus far. It's also available from around 100-130 bucks now that it's discontinued for the new models. It has multiple storage areas, an adjustable seat height, rain/bug fly, and an adjustable frame for his and her needs. Or the other person can haul a separate pack but it's nice to fit everything in at once.

The parents and child never did like the front carrier so if you think you want one of those, watch craigslist and once I find it in storage, it's going on the web.

I think for ~$50 you can find a really nice Kelty pack on craigslist, my wife just has specific color likes/dislikes and so I had to go the premium route.
    Go Big Red! Nebraska Blackshirts.

I used a Kelty for my son his first 2 summers, and am wondering how he will fit and enjoy riding in it this year. He is now 2.5 years oldand around 33 lbs. Last summer I spent hours with him in there hiking and fly fishing. Picture 052.jpgPicture 053.jpg

Our one-year-old got her own first backpack today, looks like she likes it!

" the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

denalihunter- love the photo