Thread: Calling in Black bear anyone do it?

Default Calling in Black bear anyone do it?

was thinking about trying to call in a black bear this year with a predator call. just wanted to know if anyone has done this I have seen in done on Youtube. do you guys just sit and call like you would for fox or is it a spot and stock then start calling. Any good feed back would be great.

Thanks

interested to know to..maybe a calf in distress call...I'd like to try call one in with my Foxpro ecaller. It would be a hoot to call in a grizz though, i'd want to be up in a treestand or somewhere where I have an "advantage" point. Luckily with the ecaller its remote so I can set it far enough away from me to avoid a too close encounter with a grizz.

I haven't done it yet and also have several videos on the subject. General observations were that the brown bears can be extremely quick and black bears can be virtually quiet and sneaky.

I believe you are on the right track and after watching the videos ... plan to do this selectively and sparingly. Would hate to have a sow show up with her youngsters and learn the shark cage was a less than adequate barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    interested to know to..maybe a calf in distress call...I'd like to try call one in with my Foxpro ecaller. It would be a hoot to call in a grizz though, i'd want to be up in a treestand or somewhere where I have an "advantage" point. Luckily with the ecaller its remote so I can set it far enough away from me to avoid a too close encounter with a grizz.
    I have been thinking about this as well. The one thing I can't figure out is how to protect the Ecaller if a non-shooter comes in to it. I would hate to be stuck watching a sow and cubs playing can opener with my FP fury! Perhaps slinging it up in a tree might work in some areas.

Had a friend calling while sitting on his airboat, alone. He felt the boat rock a little and looked behind him to see a black bear sneaking up on the back of the boat.
    He now calls with at least two people on location.
    BK

I know that homerdave and his son called in a black bear a year or two back with a mouth call. They spotted it first and it was heading in the wrong direction, so they starting wailing on the call and brought the bear right in. I think that's the route I would consider going unless I had a treestand and a partner.

Redneck,

Myself a buddy and his son called an old sow in while hunting the ERNC area. We were back by the glacier. We started off with blind calling (Foxpro jackrabbit) and after about 15 mins of running time..picked her up working her way down the hillside and rocks pretty fast. When she hit the floor of the valley..we lost her but continued to call. After another 20 mins and no sign. We got aggresive and moved to the last location we had seen her, set the caller on the ground below us and climbed up about 50ft on some large bolders. Turned on the caller and waited..about 5 mins later... I head a stick break to my right and below us..as I looked over the edge of the bolder I could see her at 20yards working slowly toward the call. I motioned for my buddy to get his son to stand up and take a look..he got her in the crosshairs and let her have it. Later I found out he was actually looking along side the barrel it was so close..lol

I have used it numerous times over the last few years on both species..we worked another black bear in the ERNC from about 800yards off..nice calm day and he actually left the goats and worked his way down to the valley floor as well...just never showed.

It will be in my kit bag when I go on my spring brown and black bear hunt in 16B in May...wont leave home without it..

Just remember..what the sound is imitating and dont be fooled by the scense of security of a tree, elevation or the gun...they are coming to do one thing..kill and eat! Be prepared..have a buddy with you watching your back, keep you head on a swivel.
    Good luck
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

thanks for the god information, I will have my brothers and a friend with me but I think I will give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaSgfgo9KA
    Youtube has lots of clips. I read an account of a guy who did it over on the west side of the inlet and almost got killed by a brownie.

Yup, works real good at times. FYI: Brown Bears come a runnin too...........Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have been thinking about this as well. The one thing I can't figure out is how to protect the Ecaller if a non-shooter comes in to it. I would hate to be stuck watching a sow and cubs playing can opener with my FP fury! Perhaps slinging it up in a tree might work in some areas.
    ^^^ My thoughts exactly !!! Foxpro callers ain't exactly cheap..........

For some reason I personally can't get this to work on black bears. I have called in a small grizz while bowhunting on the Copper river a few years back. He came running to about 25 yards away from us. Last week my buddy and I were bow hunting in a valley and saw 5 black bears on one valley hill. Once we climbed the hill and got within 200 yards of the nicest bear we couldn't see anything so we found a nice little spot and started calling. I called just as I would for any other predator but even though we knew we were within 200 yards of a really nice bear, he just never came in. Maybe the wind wasn't right. I figured he would come in because he was a dominant older bear. On the way up the mountain when we were 500 yards away and could still see him, there was a smaller bear that came close to him and they started fighting. The larger bear chased the smaller one off about 3 times. It was pretty cool to see. The point is, I have tried calling black bears about 3 times now and haven't gotten them to close the small gap that separated them from rifle range to bow range, even though we knew we had an aggressive bear in the area. It looks as if there are allot of other people that it works for so I guess I'll keep trying. If it's any help, I was using a Primos double cottontail call. I know we don't have cottontails here in Alaska but it still sounds great and has worked wonders for me on the fox and lynx. Maybe next time I will change my call.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What about a modified ammo can? I've been looking at gettin one as well but wouldn't want it to become a chew toy.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have tried it on my bait Site with bears hitting regularly and so far have not had anyuck at all. I have tried calf distress and prey distress and no luck yet.. I have herd that you do better with continuous calling rather than calling for a minute or two and waiting like with calling other critters.. But so far neither way has worked for me. I was using my foxpro and tied it up into a tree to hopefully keep from being a play toy

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think having some better than basic knowledge of an area goes a long ways when trying to incorporate calling.

Food sources? Fish, berries or greens.

Terrain dense or open? What's the coverage like?

I've been experimenting with added calling with mixed results but have found the terrain and resources play a big part in the response.

I would target certain areas with calling rather than trying to call everywhere you go.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

last moose season I brought my fox pro just in case. woke up and heard a bunch of yotes so I set the caller out and gave it a chance. Nothing came in so we took off on the boat for the morning. Was gone for 1.5 hrs. and I'll be ****ed if there was not black bear tracks that came right to the caller after we left. I had left the caller on the bank (forgot it while we were getting ready). The tracks made a B line from across the slough to with in 2 feet of the caller and continued on. It works. Will make me think again about set location when bears are still awake.

it works! if they wont come in to it(rabbit distress or anything dying sounding) they will usually at least do the stop, turn around, stand on hind legs for a few secsonds, and check it out on their way outta town, giving you enough time for one more round. ive called in numerous blacks with just a plain jane cottontail distress mouth call, but the fawn distress seems to work well! even if they do not "commit" they will most of the time come closer to investigate, giving a guy more time to see if thats the bear he wants. obviously foxpros are nice(keeping the bears attention towards where the sound is coming from). once the birds come, predators come. it seems to work really well up high, if a bear is spotted a valley over(if within hearing distance) to get them to come to you. then again ive had a few stand up, look, and bee line it outta dodge, but im sure those have had a few "big mosquitos" go flying by them a time or two.

I forgot my call in the truck last time out but tried a lip squeek on a bear that was ambling out of view and got zero notable response. He may have come round to check it out but we never saw him again once he hit the alders. I will take a little call with me next time out though and probably try it again if the situation warrants it. I figure if they are giving you the slip it can't make the situation any worse.