Thread: info on new winchester extreme 300WSM

Default info on new winchester extreme 300WSM

I am looking at buying a new winchester extreme in either the 300wsm or a win mag. I am mainly looking to find out if their are any problems with the short mag and running into problems with over all case & bullet lenght with reloading heavy bullets in the 200grain size or bigger.
    I currently am running into this problems with a tikka rigle I have. that the loaded round is the same lenght as the mag and it stick and wont feed right all of the time.
    thanks

I've been shooting a couple of .300WSMs for about 6 years now. I haven't had any feeding issues at all. I mainly use the 180AB.

200gr and heavier bullets might give you an issue with case capacity or OAL depending on the profile and composition, but in my experience the better quality bullets in 180gr make those heavier bullets superfluous. A couple of guys here hunt with the Win70 extremes and like them a lot- should make you a very nice rig.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    I am looking at buying a new winchester extreme in either the 300wsm or a win mag. I am mainly looking to find out if their are any problems with the short mag and running into problems with over all case & bullet lenght with reloading heavy bullets in the 200grain size or bigger.
    I currently am running into this problems with a tikka rigle I have. that the loaded round is the same lenght as the mag and it stick and wont feed right all of the time.
    thanks

I have 2 Extreme Weather Model 70s, one in 325wsm and the other in 270wsm. Both are sub moa, I reload for both and have had zero issues. Killed about everything walking in Alaska with the 325wsm and it will sling 200 grain Accubonds at over 3100fps.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

yes that is one of my main thing is the O.A.L with heavier weighted bullet and them fitting in the mag. i have heard that this can be a problems with the short mags and shrot action.

if I get a 300 it would be an all around gun for brown bear to deer. I would be doing all of my own reloading to so I would have some control over the O.A.L to.

The model 70 short action is 3" for the wsm rounds, so there is room to seat bullets out a bit.

I reload for both my EWs and have never had any trouble reaching the lands or running out of case capacity even with the longer TSX bullets and my loads are on the hotter side.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Forgot to add that when I compared the EW rifles in both long and short actions, the short action stock feels more slimmer than compared from one on a LA EW, especially in the grip, fwiw.

thanks for the info. ya that was that info I was looking for was restriction with the mag size.

another question I looked at a 300wsm it was ethor an extreme or weather sport model that was anidized black. what is that I look on the winchester site and could not find anything about it. the guy said the anidized is or can be better than stainless.
    any one know about this

No, the extreme sporter is just a blued version, no special coating nor stainless.

no this gun I looked at was not blued for sure. it had a ruff black finish and the guy said it was anidized

I'd call Winchester direct to find out, then. I do know Winchester offered a blued, fluted version of the extreme weather. Same B&C stock as well.