Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai River kings from shore

Default Kenai River kings from shore

Has anyone ever done much good fishing from the shore for kings on the Kenai River? Ken, at Ken's Alaskan Tackle, mentioned you could do ok if you cast out into the middle. Any of you have experience with this?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

i wouldn't recommend trying it. think about it... guided fishermen average one king per ~20 hours of fishing on the kenai, so hooking up a fish, even in a boat, takes time. i'd guess the # of hours to hook one off the shore would be 10 times what it takes in a boat. also remember that these fish average about 40 pounds, so if you did get lucky enough to hook one, you would be even luckier to land it. i would venture to say that over 99% of kings hooked from shore are lost - the fish is either going to spool you or break your line. the current is just to strong, and the river is just too big to control a fish of that size unless it completely cooperates, which they never do.
    i can already anticipate getting a bunch or replies from folks with their personal accounts of landing a king from the shore. with the thousands of lines getting ripped through the river, someone's bound to get lucky once in a while.... but to actually target them from shore would be very close to a waste of time. the only place you might have success would be at a place like the funny river/kenai confluence, where there are good numbers of kings milling around and staging - but that would be pretty unethical to target those fish, although i've seen it done... on a fishing show sponsored by a lodge on the kenai.... it about made me puke, but that's beside the point. the point is - the odds of catching a king fairly and ethically from the shore is extremely extremely low.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

but it IS done. Caught a few of them from Centennial, another a couple years ago just down from Soldotna Creek. Hard to hold the big boys, but if you know how to play a fish it's a blast!

Default markw3..

Just curious, you say that bank fishing for kings is unfair and unethical?

Default Kenai bank kings

OK.. it was just a matter of time before the question came up. I was reluctant to mention this, simply because of the ethical situation mentioned above, but, hearing that a proposal is in front of the board to keep the sanctuary closed until the end of King season... I guess I'll spill the beans.

Last year, there was a group of guys fishing college hole from the bank with very heavy rods fishing braid, casting eggs. They were hooking up quite regularly and landing most of those hooked... the biggest that I saw was abou 40-45 pounds... I was truly amazed. One feller was standing on the stairs and hooking up!!! It can be done with modern tackle. You would have to play the big boys to death however...

I have also heard of several landed at Cunningham... makes sense because the bank is open and you could chase the fish up and down as necessary...

I asked the same question a while ago and got the same response. Us poor folks w/o a boat what are we going to do? I always thought College hole would be the place to try, but at the same time the Kasilof Kings at Crooked Creek are regularly caught from shore. Why not just drive the extra hour and try there? I tried it last year, had about 4 hookups but none landed. (braided line on a spinning reel....learned that doesn't work very well.) This year will be P line or just reg mono.
    Also the year b4 last I used line that was just to heavy. Now this year 30lb max I think.

no, i didn't say that fishing for kings from shore was unethical and/or unfair... i said that targeting the staging fish in front of places like funny river and slikok creek from shore was unethical in my opinion, but could be done fairly successfully - as has been mentioned above.
    the one thing that was brought up that i didn't think about was cunningham park. this would be the ideal place to fish for kings on the incoming tide. you have ample room on the bank to chase em down, plus the current slows down so that you don't have that to contend with. i should have thought about it, but i didn't. it's still not really high odds, but is the most realistic opportunity to get one from shore.
    look, i'm not saying don't try... i'm just saying that you need to plan on putting in a lot of hours and deal with a lot of unsuccessful outings before you actually land one, if you are lucky enough to do so. i know folks that have fished for them from shore for an entire season without landing as much as a jack, so just make sure that you have realistic expectations. good luck if you do try.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Question akbrownsfan

akbrownsfan,

What problems did you run into with your braided line on a spinning reel?

I've used a similar set up on the Willow for several years and was successful....as long as I stayed away from the thickest crowd. Mono and braided seem to have an affinity toward each other and hard to separate.

Dobber
    (also a Browns fan)

jsdobson tooks the words off my keypad

I am setting up the same rig..........what problem did you encounter.

I can assume the problem was slipping on the spool. But that can be easily overcome by putting a wrap of electrical tape onto the spool. I have had no issues with braid on my spinning reels, and I'm the biggest fan of braid out there.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Haven't done it in years, but we used to have a blast at the mouth of Moose River. CHECK THE REGS to see if it's still okay. We used to still fish with one small oakie drifter with a coho fly. Not many strikes, but tons of fun when they did. And sittin around a campfire on the river bank with five or six others all doing the same thing was a great memory. In fact my uncle , who now has cancer got his only king(#50) there.

I had a friend who caught one while red fishing once
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A guy fishing next to me caught a king last year on the Kenai, maybe 15 lbs. and very off-colored, but it was late in August. I think I may give Cunningham a shot. I have an Ambassadeur 7000 with no line on it, so I'll string it up with some 80 lb. Power Pro, and use a muskie rod. That'll get 'er done.

fishn 45, what the heck is a oakie drifter? We've got a place upstream on the Moose not too far from the confluence; I may give that a try if it's okay in the regs; if you don't mind, how'd you actually fish using the tackle you mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default give me a shout

hey big jim... i have responded to your posts on here for information a few times and also on the other journal site. You seem like you love the fishing here. So do I. I have lived here for almost 30 years and remember what it was like trying to learn. I will be more than happy to help you out on all your kenai questions. If you drop me a line in my private mail here i will spill my guts to help you out. lol, i don't know everything by any means but I can get you moving in the right direction. take me up on it if you like. only a few more weeks and the kings will start trickling in..... even if they have to dodge the ice bergs!

Default p-line

Not sure what your braid problems were, but on spinning u have to use some mono backing or tape for the braid to grip (I use mono)....also the reel has to lay the line pretty evenly otherwise backlashes.

If u go the mono route on spinning I'd go for suffix for the main line....just like p-line it way over-tests (ex. 12# suffix has a 20# test wet knot strength), so 20-25# which tests well over 30# should be just fine. P-line is very strong, but has alot of memory so on spinning tackle it's not so fun (especially in the thicker line)...on baitcasting it works just fine. BtW, I stopped using maxima for leaders 3 years ago...now I use p-line.

Default braided

Well I tried it (braided line) an entire season and lost a lot of good kings. I think the problem was wrapping and slipping on the spool. What I do know is I was fishing 40lb braided line (um the green box??) and kept losing fish. I was in Ship and you really couln't "play"the fish. It broke repeatedly.
    Brand new out of the box. I did not use a backing of mono. At first I thought it was breaking near the lure and so thought my knots might be to blame. Well, after being supercareful of my knots and still losing fish (even superglued the knots to see if that was it) I noticed the break was happening at the reel.
    I switched last year to 40lb mono and didn't have one break off. (Only actually hooked up 9 kings last year). I had people cast over my line and lose fish that way just not a break for no good reason.

I was told after telling that story that it was b/c of using braided line on a spinning real. It did seem to slip under line that wasn't out and then get tangled. So I don't have any real "news" just an observation.

You have to spool it on VERY tight-packed. Any looseness will invite certain heartache when the line buries itself into the loose spots.... seize... PING!

That's possibly why it kept breaking at the reel.

The other possibility is to check your line guide on the bail... might be grooved and could be abrading/chafing your line during the retrieve or whenever drag is going out.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default nailed it

I think you nailed it. Thing is I can get it wrapped tight, but after a day of fishing (cast, slow retrieve, cast) the looseness just is inherent with spinning gear.

I switched back to mono and was happy with it last year. (not so happy with the guy who 3 times casted over my line when I finally was hooked up one day though! OH well.)

If I fished from a boat with a baitcaster I think I would fish braided no question.

Default Quick with the knife...

The sheathed Rapalla that hung on my side while I was at the confluence of the Kenai and the Russian hung there for good reason:

I got tired of seeing my line spool away each time I stuck a king.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast