Thread: Nice TFO Rod Review

Default Nice TFO Rod Review

I'm not a homer for TFO, don't even own one but I thought it might have interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_NE View Post

I'm not a homer for TFO, don't even own one but I thought it might have interest.
    Short version of that review: low cost, casts well, crappy components, especially the cork (true on all TFO's).

I own TFO, including a BVK. The BVK is a very light-weight rod; I would NOT recommend it in the higher weights or for heavy use. This is the only TFO that has had blank breakage issues....nobody goes into detail on what they did - but my guess is from over-stressing that rod with big fish - like you have in Alaska. Some rod blanks will also break if you whack them with a huge lead eyed fly while casting - also like you use in Alaska. The BVK is a very light weight blank. You take your chances with it.

Bottom line: Well worth $249. Better at wt 5 and below. Low power at wt 6 and above. If cork bothers you, then search around for the rare TFO with a decent handle. Otherwise, it's just cosmetic.

Agreed about the tendency of some BVK breakage. Read about it here and elsewhere when searching for some new rods for my wife. Got her two 5 weights for NC mountain streams and bead fishing in Alaska. Having two takes the pressure off the reliability aspect. Cast one myself, pretty darn impressive.

As said above, don't buy a TFO for the quality of the components, flor grade cork, etc.. for it don't exist in them rods. They are affordable rods from a reputable company that has kick azz customer service and a warranty they stand by. That is why I got two for my wife. Me, I like flor grade cork, nice components, etc... and my rods are mostly Scott. All depends on what you are after. They all catch fish. Especially AKPM's rods, he was in a fishing magazine in fact.

I use the heck out of BVK in #3, #5 and #7 for trout, but they stay home when salmon are on the menu. For three years I've been doing my best to destroy several of the TiCRX model on salmon with no luck at all. They're tougher than nails, and they hold up better than our Sage or our Loomis. Just tough, no nonsense rods that cast really well and take a beating. I just picked up a couple of #10 and a #12 for offshore king salmon and halibut, and my guess is they're going to replace my Sage there too. Bought all three of them for what I would have spent on a single Sage. Yeah, I love my Sage/Loomis/Winston/Scott rods, but they're spending a lot less time on the water these days.

I have a 7wt & 10wt Jim Teeny and 4wt Lefty Kreh Professional that are all back up rods. They are always there when I need them. I have used them for trout, steelhead, salmon(all species), bonefish, and tarpon. Not always my first choice, but perform awesome when my first choice takes a ****!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

How do you like that Teeny 10-weight for long fights?

Even though I just bought the TiCRX I'm thinking of saving them for shore use and picking up Bluewater TF BW LD and TF BW MD models for the longer fighting butt and foregrip, but haven't ruled out a stab at other models.