Thread: Homer VS Ninilchik Halibut Charters?

Question Homer VS Ninilchik Halibut Charters?

Seems like halibut charters are more expensive out of Ninilchik than Homer?
    Is there better halibut fishing out of Ninilchik?
    Or is it because N is closer and more conveinient to Kenai?
    Or are there a larger number of charter boats out of Homer, causing more competition for clients?
    Other?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Not looking to bash or praise any individual charter operations in either area.
    Just hoping to understand these two fisheries and the market forces that affect them.

Thanx again, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I think its more money for the boat launch at deep creek maybe that could be a factor?

I thought about that too, but doesn't the Homer fleet have dock/mooring fees? Seems like that could be a wash.

Maybe the Deep Creek/Anchor Point charters charge more because they can.

Let's assume that you have a 30' boat for charter purposes. That would cost $800 for six months moorage in the Homer Harbor.
    If you pay $55 for a tractor launch per day in Deep Creek and fish for 90 days a year, that comes out to $4,950. The charter captains may get a discount for launching so frequently, I don't know.

The other factor is fishing time. Time spent dragging the boat down and hooking it up to a tractor is not time fishing.

Out of Homer, you walk onto the dock and step on board; however, it takes a little bit longer IMO to get to the fishing grounds, so fuel becomes a factor.

All this being said, I have found that the rates are overall similar. I think it's just a matter of preference regarding trip length, goal, and overall quality of crew. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

You get more fishing time out of Ninilchik, To get out of the bay from Homer its 22 miles to pogi point and most charters are going another 10-15 past that, so you travelled 32 miles to fish, if you did that out of Ninilchik you would almost be on shore of the other side of the inlet. Most days out of Ninilchik I go around 20 miles and were fishing 40 minutes after leaving the beach. I fish both places for different reasons.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

The question was about the fishing as I read it! So I have to say no the fishing is not better out of Ninilchik. If you want to do a lingcod halibut combo trip the run from homer is shorter. Your choice the the type of boat you go on is wider out of Homer, not a lot of 35ft Bertrams running off the beach. Somthing to be said about a big heavy boat when the weather starts to get bad!

As stated in other replies the MAIN difference is that out of Ninilchik you are totally dependent on the tractor launch which dictates what kind of boat you'll be on and whether or not you'll even be able to fish at all. Out of Homer, like cwm907 said, you step off a dock onto a boat and then head out. You still have the weather to deal with, but at least out of Homer harbor there are places you can go fish if things are really bad further out, so on a day when the tractors aren't launching boats you still might be able to fish out of Homer.

As far as where the fishing is better I think you'll find that a pretty contentious issue. I typically don't fish any further than about 20 miles from the Homer harbor and typically catch what I consider to be very nice "keeper" halibut. And there are places within a 15 minute boat ride from the harbor that can produce halibut in the 50 lb. plus category. And if you have the fortitude to fish the kelp beds north of The Bluffs (about a half hour boat ride from the harbor) a 200 lb. plus halibut is not unheard of.

I am not overly familiar with where the charter operators head out of Ninilchik, but I do fish the Whiskey Gulch area north of Anchor Point quite often and have caught some very nice halibut within a stone's throw from the beach. The first halibut I ever caught was a 70 pounder I pulled in while trolling for kings about 50 yards from shore.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Muttley, good to see you are back! Looked like your out of the ice, and getting the ice out. Homer is just better when they can't get off the beach we are fishing!

I know a guide who fishes out of Anchor River (via the tractors) and he says its about even time wise for where he fishes. Add the drive from Anchor Point to Homer on to it and he is ahead of the game. On weather days in Anchor point he goes to Homer and runs out of there.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I know a guide who fishes out of Anchor River (via the tractors) and he says its about even time wise for where he fishes. Add the drive from Anchor Point to Homer on to it and he is ahead of the game. On weather days in Anchor point he goes to Homer and runs out of there.
    One of the things that I like about fishing out of Anchor Pt. is that from about now until the beginning of July there are going to be spawning kings running up the coast line heading for points north. So on a good day you can catch a nice spawning king and then run out a mile or so and catch 2 decent halibut. Out of Homer harbor you've got a lot longer run to get to where your chances of catching a spawning king are decent.

But then, of course, there are places not far from the Spit where you can catch feeder kings 365 days a year and if you have a good day can boat 2 of them plus your 2 halibut. It just kind of depends on what kind of fishing "floats your boat."

And thanks, MGH55. It's good to be back. I've been fighting a give and take battle with some undiagnosed medical issues, but I hope to get out and get fishing again before the Anchor Pt. Calcutta tourny.

Charterboat Operator

bieng an AP boy for , well before there were tractors, it is pretty rough to be fishing before the boat really gets warmed up! But the down side is the beach conditions, there are always several days a year that i am either bailing on a trip or heading to homer, it is always nice to have the option, and personally dont think there is much advantage to one over the other, unless we are talking lings
    id take homer over AP on them days.
    Kings are a commin....
    tight lines PB

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    bieng an AP boy for , well before there were tractors, it is pretty rough to be fishing before the boat really gets warmed up! But the down side is the beach conditions, there are always several days a year that i am either bailing on a trip or heading to homer, it is always nice to have the option, and personally dont think there is much advantage to one over the other, unless we are talking lings
    id take homer over AP on them days.
    Kings are a commin....
    tight lines PB
    I can't tell you the number of times I've left the tractor launch, dropped my lines right outside the "no fish" zone and had a nice king on within about a minute or two.

But that kind of brings up another area that CAN be problematic when if comes to fishing Anchor Point---both using the tractor launch or from the beach. I had the tractor launch me a few years ago into beautiful seas and by about noon a nasty front moved in and started whipping up some pretty nasty seas in a very short time. By the time I got back to the beach there were about 4' to 5' breakers hitting the beach and the tractor launch guys were talking about making everyone wait until high tide and pull boats out of the river launch site. I gave the tractor launch on the beach a try and ended up destroying one of my bunk guide ons when a wave picked my boat up and deposited it right on top of it. And then the guy trying to hook my winch line onto the boat came within inches of getting crushed by the boat. It also put a couple of nasty gouges in the bottom of my fiberglass hull. It was not pretty. I know it's not a common occurrence, but you never run into that problem pulling into the harbor.

Charterboat Operator

I know it's not a common occurrence, but you never run into that problem pulling into the harbor.

oh the joys of the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is a beach guys

Back when we were stationed at Elmendorf 95-03 we successfully launched on charters 4 out of 5 times at Deep Creek.
    Out of Homer we hit bad wx and only made it out with charters just once out of 5 attempts...
    Now we have our own boat we've run in to wx out of Homer again ~ steady 7-footers [if you know me I'm very conservative in guesstimations] and a few 8's thrown in for good measure on our first excperience during July.
    I definately earned my merit badge that day. Not something I care to do often.
    I know wx can come up any given cycle [as it did last August in PWS ~ too many back-to-back low pressure syatems to count] but it just seems to us Homer can be tough as in my wife's case where she's 0-3 trying to go out on charters.
    What are others' experiences?
    Not looking to stir the pot ~ actually considering moving to Homer some day in the future.

I haven't launched from Anchor Point in a few years but I seem to have better luck launching from Homer.
    I like that the price of an season pass is only $130 or roughly the price to tractor launch 2 or 3 times. And I have access to clean bathrooms and nice cleaning tables.
    Last year there was a lot of bad weather in Homer when I was down there. August especially.
    I have had several times where I could not get out to where we wanted to fish out of Homer but we were able to catch a few chickens on the back side of the spit or across the bay in Tutka. Something I could never do when leaving from Deep Creek or Anchor point.

I don't use charters and I couldn't tell you if there was a price difference or why. But for me personally in my personnel boat I prefer Homer.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The safety of the harbor is another factor that is hard to quantify but easy to appreciate on a nasty day. Particularly on the nasty day that creeps up on you that Muttley mentioned.