Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay for the Summer?

Default Places to stay for the Summer?

Hey everyone !
    Some of you have seen my other post and know I will be heading up there for fishing this summer and hopefully more!

Well what I am wondering now is where I will be staying in between me leaving home and finding a job? I will be heading to SE Alaska leaving from California . I can't seem to find myself putting out the 100$ a night for hotel rooms when I could Camp right? I saw cabin's out in the bush that can be stayed in,is that legal? I know there must be rules as there is on everything.... lol . I am so used to how things are run in California I do not know what to expect in Alaska as far as the do's and don'ts ( I have bin looking up laws).

As I am not a resident I cannot carry a gun for protection. And now I can only have a knife...ok that's fine at least its something right? I am a little nervous as this will be a big Journey. I just had a baby girl and I have a 7ry old son. I/they want me to stay safe . I am a rugged outdoor person so everything should work out great.

I have bin doing as much as I can online as far as research and feel I am getting really close to being ready for whats to come. Any advice you guys/gals could share would be great. Some info on your first trip back when and how/what you did. Its all helpful and I very much appreciate all of the info everyone is willing to share.

Thank you again and I can't wait to meet some of you on this Journey this year !

Tom Jr

Tom,
    Alaska is the opposite of California when it comes tofirearms. Iím pretty certain that if itís like you say about carrying a firearm (a handgun I assume) you might obtain a concealed carry license in CA, then you should be legal in AK by reciprocity. That is if the great Nanny State of California will give you a license. As far as shotguns and rifles are concerned, I donít believe thereís any kind of a problem, assuming that youíre not a convicted felon. Sorry about the nanny comment, I used to live in California back in the early 70ís before the state took it upon itself to interfere in peoples lives like it does today. As a result, even though I like to vacation in California, I wouldnít even consider ever moving back.
    BTW carrying a handgun through Canada is a major no-no, I wonít go there, however you can look up past threads on the subject.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Hey Rock Thank's!

Yea California has some of the most Police State laws ever I honestly thought I would stay here forever and now I cant wait to better my life so I can get my family out of this state. I have always loved Hunting and Fishing and these days it gets harder and harder to do both. The rules and Regs that go along with buying guns makes me sick. I hope Alaska is one of those places where "Big Sister " leaves us alone.... Yea I don't have a reason to go to Canada (after learning a few things) and will stick to Alaska.

A small Cal pistol will do nothing to a bear so I am probably better off without one as it is just something to make me feel better and not actually help Plus it may be hard to get a job if I am walking around with a gun (I am used to the sissy-fied people around here ) and as I know nobody I wont want to leave any of my Items anywhere I am not you know?

Thank you again for your input it helps a bunch !

Tom JR

If you are legal to have a gun you can carry concelled up here no CCW needed.Depending where you are heading many towns have hostels for about ten bucks a day. The cabins can be rented from the forrest service from 25.00-45.00 a day.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hey Amigo Will!

Thank you for your information. As for California I am able to buy guns( I just bought a Ruger SR9 a few months back) I am not a fellon . BUT I don't want to bring a 9mm to Alaska haha I would rather bring the Shotgun but I don't want to carry it up to Alaska either (to many issues with traveling with firearms for me. The least I have to deal with people of authority the better in my mind ( Have an issue with people with power trips ) . What are the Hostels like? That would be pretty cool. I bet there is a lot of people like me doing the same travels !
    Are there many cabins like that around? I would figure they would all be reserved up for the summer season. I had thought maybe I would rent a room or house but I think I will hold off on that and just tent or something.

I think I just worry it is gonna be like the work economy here where I live in California and no madder what I do where I go NOBODY is hiring and I will find my self endlessly walking around Alaska missing all the work there is to be done.

Thank you for your advice !

Tom Jr

If you have good work ethics and are wiling to work there are lots of jobs up here it may not be easy or something you really WANT to do but there is always work if you are willing. If you want to have your shot gun you can mAil it to yourself in care of someone and you can get it when you are here. .

Knowing where you are going in the SE would be of help for folks to help you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I love guns. But, I would rather not hire someone I don't know from adam to spend long isolated hours with on the boat, who's packing heat... We have seen more than our fair share of fresh off the boat enthusiastic guys crack up after a few trips (or a few hours for that matter). So, I would recommend leaving it and getting it sent up after you have a more stable living situation, as the hostel for certain don't allow guns. For what its worth...

Hey Bsj425!
    Thank you for responding . My Dad was always on me about working hard and when I was Eight he moved us (Mom,Dad,Sister and me out to a small 400 acre Dairy Farm and I think that's where a lot started for me. I am someone who didn't come from money and work for everything I have (as little as I actually have) . NOTHING work wise is below me as long as I am not putting asnyone at danger or anyone is putting me in danger (more then things are already dangerous no madder what you do) Oh and being legal is something I am about haha. Last thing I want to do is get with some people who do some really messed up things in life.
    I keep a positive attitude and have the "Go get it" attitude about everything . When I am out and about I put off an approachable vibe and enjoy meeting new people and learning about anything someone is willing to share. I have bin known to go somewhere to do something and end the event with a new friend to share stories with . And that is a great Idea about my shotgun, I would feel a lot safer if I was able to have it. I would turn it over to my New Boss/Captain/New friend I stay with until further notice if needed as well. I just worry while I am alone out there .
    Thank you for any and all advice .

Haha Yea Amigo Will!

Well I am from California I am getting on an Amtrak and heading to Washington in the first of May. My end spot I was thinking would be Sitka. I was thinking of stopping in other town first Like Ketchikan for a few days to see about work and if I can't find anything get on the ferry and head to Petersburg and do the same and if I couldn't find anything get back on the ferry and head to Juneau then end it in Sitka all before the 1st of June . It should be great and I am excited !

Tom Jr

Hey Pacific!
    Yea that's exactly what I thought "Why in heck would someone hire me not knowing me while I have a gun on my side?" I would have a better chance of getting a job if the Captain/Crew didn't have to worry if I was gonna snap. That's why if I did I would turn my weapon over to my Captain/Boss/New friend until they got to know me you know? I understand completely how people would feel . But getting in somewhere and talking to the crew I could go on from there and see if things change. I mean if I get in with the right people who have guns I will be able to shoot and enjoy guns without having to bring mine up who knows !
    Thank you for the advice it all helps in this !
    Tom Jr

You might want to check with some canneries in Bellingham like Trident.They will pay your way up,house,and pay plus travel back at end of season.

Thanks Amigo Will,
    When this all started a few months back (the idea of me coming to Alaska) Canneries were my first choice. But after talking with many people in or around the fishing industry , I would like to try to get on a boat with a Captain Who is looking for someone to teach the Industry and be able to see Alaska While working. But if all else I could go to a Cannery and ask for a job and hopefully they would have a spot for me. I have looked into getting on a boat leaving from San Fran that is heading up for the season but nothing yet. I have wrote on a few forums Like SalmonTrolling.com ( a great group of fisherman) and Sitka.com Craigslist . It comes down to me being there to get the job my first season. I am ready for the adventure and can't wait. A month away !
    Thank you for the advice I much appreciate !

Tom Jr

Itís important to have a reality check regarding commercial fishing vs. romanticizing it.
    First and foremast the captainís goal is to make money, and he does that by being as efficient as possible regarding how much fuel he burns and how effectively his crew can handle the gear. While you may not need formal training to be a commercial fisherman, it is far from unskilled labor. A skilled crew quickly gets fish out of the net or off the hook and onto the ice. A guy who doesnít know port from starboard can break expensive gear, get himself or other crew members hurt or killed and put the whole boat in jeopardy. At best the greenhorn heads below deck to cry when faced with the direct language from crew members regarding his shortcomings. Hence good boats with good captains can select crew who know what they are doing and make their life easy and profitable.
    So that leaves the type of boat of that will take on a greenhorn. An experienced crew member isnít going to go out on a boat that is captained by someone who has trouble catching fish and a boat that isnít too see worthy. Itís not so much the captain with a heart of gold that welcomes aboard the greenhorn, but the captain through substance abuse or ineptitude that is unable to get experienced hands on board because they are well aware of his ability or lack thereof to catch fish and the see worthiness of his craft.
    Honestly I think the best way for young man or woman to make a couple of bucks by hard work on the water is being a deckhand on a charter boat. Itís a long hard day baiting hooks, landing fish, gutting fish at the end of a long day, and cleaning the boat at the very end of a long day. You wonít get the bonanza of a crew share of commercial boat, but neither will you get skunked or sunk being a ship of fools. Tips which arenít guaranteed can add to your funds. Youíll be out on the water seeing amazing scenery.
    Iíd bring up a tent, a good one that can handle wind and rain, and not worry about a firearm. There are plenty of official places to camp, as well as unofficial ones.
    Alaskans are generally friendly and helpful and very generous. But there is a small fraction of a percent that fall into the category of end of the roaders. They are either hiding from the law, mankind or a mental illness and should be avoided at all cost.
    Yes, the mindset is almost completely the opposite of California, albeit for certain enclaves of Anchorage and Juneau.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hey Paul H,

Thank you very much for the input. Every little bit I can get helps. From whatever stand point someone may be coming from .

I do not have any false romantic thoughts about this trip, In fact I see more issues,problems,hard times and questioning myself more then anything. I have a feeling that anything that can go wrong will and I will probably be the lucky one to have some issue come up while I am there. In my head the weather is gonna suck, the works gonna blow (as well as the wind) I am gonna get mistreated and more then likely be asking myself what am I doing. That because this is my first year nobody is going to want to hire me and if I do get hired I will be spending my time trying to prove myself to someone who doesn't give a **** except making himself a living.And by the end of the season get the finger. I get it Its gonna suck

There is a way to talk to someone and if some "Captain" thinks being disrespectful is going to get him far well he can fish by his **** self. I don't care to get on a boat with a Dick of a crew or a captain just because they catch fish. Its sad people think that by miss treating someone its gonna better themselves and you know maybe for some being a D Bag works for them well awsome great for them ! Keep it up! But don't come asking me for a hand. I'm not some timid little puppy who will put up with disrespect a little Barking that's fine. I have some thick skin And can Dish it right back .

I am not desperate and will not have to take the first opportunity giving to me ( already turned a few offers down) . If i surround myself with good people good things will happen to me. I have things to work hard for in life just like a lot of other people out there. I just need to find out in life what it is that's for me. I would like to have a house payment one day.Maybe buy a new car? who knows but if I never try what will I get? I cannot let someone else dictate my happiness in life. I am 28 years old how much more time do I really have?

I learn fast and it has always helped that I was able to listen . I follow directions and keep a positive attitude. The last thing I want to do this summer is Die Or kill/hurt anyone else Plain and simple. I want to meet new friendly people while like you said avoiding the end of the roaders (there's plenty out there).

Being a deckhand on a charter boat would be great ! so would this and that and the other I am very open to anything that I get payed for I am looking for Hard work and Good Pay and I know I will find both someday !
    I could think negative or I could think positive and well I am gonna change things up a little and be the most positive about it as anyone could be !

Thank you very much for your advice you share

Tom Jr

You have got some good advice.We have in our small town about fifty high school kids with at least three years experience and the fisherman have known them all their lifes.We have many out of work older folks been here forever know the water and boats and captains and have fished off and on all their lifes.
    On the up side we have hand trollers that may catch a dozen fish a day that will take you and pay 10% after cost and the boat gets its share which means you owe him but he will let you slide as long as you keep cranking those gurdies.
    Most of our boats are already out fishing and crews set

Hey Amigo Will

Thank you for the heads up . Yea its hard to compete in today's times when the job market is like it is. Its even harder when you are not the Bosses son,the sons best friend or grew up in the town where the works at. I have to go above and beyond to even get a chance. Where I am at i have to compete with everyone who is layed off of work ( seems like everyone) and the 50 or so..."Workers" who are cheap labor and mob you every time you pull into a parking lot. Getting noticed is even harder when your from out of town and trying to get a job and everything is spoken for long before I or anyone else gets there. And I am not someone who wants to hope/wish someone has to end/stop/get hurt whatever reason there job just so I can get it.

Its worth a shot. I was once told "If you cannot find work where you live,relocate" well that's what I am gonna do. Me at first and I will go wherever I have to to find a good job where I can work hard and get good pay. Then my family can follow. Now hopefully this does not take the rest of my life and I can find a good job within the next few years. I do not want to be like some of my friends (most of them) who WANT to stay on welfare and food stamps and sit around be drunk all day. And they think there is something wrong with me because I am willing to leave my two children,lady and parentson on some "dream" of mine and they couldn't think of it. Well I want to become something in life and at Twenty-Eight its about time.

There is only a small window of time to find work in Alaska,yes there is LOTS of work year round but I don't see the logic of coming to Alaska in the middle of winter...haha. "Why Alaska" well why not? There is a lot of work up (so I have heard) and I have nothing negative going against me as far as any issues or problems or anything. I will fit in wherever I go and be a part of the team . I want to do/try anything/everything (why not?). i know i will find my place in life and everything will work out just fine. I just have to keep a good attitude and work hard every chance I am given .

As of now my intentions is to get a job in the fishing industry but if for whatever reason I get there and that doesn't happen I will hopefully be able to get into something else. I have got so much great advice from you guys and I really appreciate all of it.

Thank you.

Tom Jr

Default Hey!

Hey everyone !

I hope you are all doing well and I cannot wait to meet a few of you this summer when I am up there . I leave California here in 13 days and I am really excited ! I have never bin away from my family more then 24 days haha. I am really excited to see what is to come of me in the next few months .More then you all know have you all helped me. I listen to what you say and take it all in.

Seeing how I plan to stay in SE Alaska this summer (unless and opportunity takes me somewhere else) What would be your number one choice as far as what town to go/stay in? Or what town would you maybe stay away from? What about the towns who are having problems getting jobs for the locals? I was thinking my number one choice is Sitka for work. I know I am an "Out-of-Stater" but if things go well I will become apart of Alaska.
    As of now I was just going to go to Ketchikan but then I thought "So is everyone else probably" .

What do you all think?

Thank you everyone for all your Advice and kind words !
    Tom Jr

If you get a chance and want to see my progress this summer check my Blog out at http://thefishingjourney.wordpress.com/ and also I am someone who makes YouTube videos so if you want to know more about me check out http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedHazeSilver

I'm a nice guy, say hello !

If your a hard worker, nice guy and respectful of people, it won't matter what town you pick. You'll do fine. If your not, you'll always be going from town to town. Life is what you make it. Enjoy!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Hey Denali!
    Thank you ! Its going to be a great adventure no madder where I land ! I come from a pretty bad area and have always bin around here. "Good/nice" people are very few and far between Everyone seems to have a chip on there shoulders so I am hoping its nothing of the same (and I am sure its nothing the same) .I am all of the above so it will all work out ! And as far as work goes I am wondering if some are harder then other's to get work. If the locals are already having a hard time getting work I wouldn't want to make it harder by adding myself to the work force . I cant get a job digging a ditch around here ( and I surely would for paycheck) .Fast food doesn't even return a phone call. Cant find work ,relocate So I'm off to find work !
    Thanks again
    Tom Jr

I think I see Toms problem.
    http://thefishingjourney.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast