Thread: Penn Fathom Level Wind 25

Default Penn Fathom Level Wind 25

I'm looking for some feedback on the Penn Fathom Level Wind 25 lb class. I'm thinking of buying two and putting them on some standup jigging rods for Halibut and Rockfish. Price is going to be $129 each.

Thanks,
    Kyle

I have a small beef with them, and with all the other Penns having that plastic levelwind. If you over-torque or cross thread the screw in the pawl cover, it strips instantly. And it's really easy to do. Not a problem if you're really careful, but you get to replace the whole mechanism if you blow it. As I have done more than once.

Otherwise, it's a competitive reel in that price bracket.

I haven't used that reel, but do have a pair of Shimano Charter Specila 1000's and would highly recomend them for what you are looking to do.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I haven't used that reel, but do have a pair of Shimano Charter Specila 1000's and would highly recomend them for what you are looking to do.
    I'm with Paul H, Picking up 2 of the Charter Specials this weekend. Looks like it's a hard to beat reel. Lever drag too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I have two Penn Fathom 40's in the level wind that I use on my boat for soaking baits. Bought them last year and so far have nothing but good things to say about them. $129 seems like a screaming deal, they are going for $199 on Charkbait in the 25 size. The 25 will still pull 30lbs of drag and should be a good fit for a jigging setup.