Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16B

Default 16B

Is the only way to hunt 16b to fly in? I would really like to bear hunt there this year. Can you get there and have a decent hunt by boat?

If you know how to drive a boat you can get there after all itís just another body of water with a few peculiarities to take into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If you know how to drive a boat you can get there after all itís just another body of water with a few peculiarities to take into consideration.
    Sounds like you hunted over there before?

yup, either. 16b is a big place, even by Texas standards.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Sounds like you hunted over there before?
    Nope just info I learned from searching this site.

It's not that difficult of a run if you know how to read the water. Most boats get stuck playing in the west channel so be extra carefull in there. Sorry though, no bears or animals left in 16b. Kidding. It is a fun place to hunt but there is a lot of taller grass and brush to contend with.

What size boat and motor do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by txbowhunter254 View Post
    Thats depends on what part of 16B you want to access, where you are going to access it from, and what the weather and water conditions are like at that time.

With that said most people that run it use larger river boats or smaller ocean boats. Aluminum hulls 16-24 feet in length. Outboard jet or prop 75HP and up. Inboards I would guess 350 cu in and up.

Some pople run straight across from the Anchorage harbor and go up the creeks or rivers right there. These are the people that tend to use smaller boats since they have a shorter run and can see the weather from their home. People that run across down further tend to use larger boats due to more variable and a great distance to travel.

Lots of strange things in that water with the rip currents and debris floating about keep your eyes open!

What ever size you'd be comfortable with.
    Personally, I'd prefer a 16 to 18 ft flat bottomed Jon boat with a 40 or 50 hp Prop outboard..
    but for someone unfamiliar with the big Su and the Yentna, it would be much easier for you to have a 60 to 80 HP Jet

On the other hand... to forgo the expense of buying and outfitting a boat to get there, one could contact someone like Larry Heater (354-7498) about a drop off hunt

If you told us what part of 16B you are trying to get into we could help you out a bit more. Just saying 16B is kinda like asking someone how to get into "Texas" without saying where you are coming in from or where you want to go in Texas.

If you told us what part of 16B you are trying to get into we could help you out a bit more. Just saying 16B is kinda like asking someone how to get into "Texas" without saying where you are coming in from or where you want to go in Texas.
    Honestly I do not know what part. I just really want to hunt it. Have heard lots of good things about bear hunting that area. For black bears and browns

Honestly I do not know what part. I just really want to hunt it. Have heard lots of good things about bear hunting that area. For black bears and browns
    I live in 16b, It is very hard to hunt without a boat. If you hunt it hard and stay at it you will more than likely be succsessful. As for the bears dont bother, we shot them all!

Do you own a boat?

Do you have money to get flown in?

Are you a resident?

Wasn't SCI or Sportsman's for Alaska running black beer hunts over bait in 16b?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Wasn't SCI or Sportsman's for Alaska running black beer hunts over bait in 16b?
    Yes they did and I believe they still do.

Yes they did and I believe they still do.
    If I remember right it was a pretty cheap deal to fly per and spend a week sitting over there baits.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A plane or a decent river boat w/ jet will get ya up in the Skwentna river country or Donkey Slough area. Plenty of bears, some wolves. Not much for anything else though. Good luck..

As the others have said, sure you can hunt it by boat but I wouldn't run it alone the first time. A lot of country from the yenta (and up the yetna) down to the Alexander. Be safe and carry a gps...
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    As the others have said, sure you can hunt it by boat but I wouldn't run it alone the first time. A lot of country from the yenta (and up the yetna) down to the Alexander. Be safe and carry a gps...

No need to run the rivers just launch down south and run straight across the Inlet to 16B plenty of bears over there.

I have run across in my zodiac. I didn't go past the su. 1 time I almost got stuck in the mud....almost. We were loaded fer bear........looked like the clampits. I did shoot a blackie, but we were hopin fer moose, only saw tweeners.

lots of cabins up skwetna way when I was on my snogo a few weeks back.....could save some fuel - pull the zod up the river now, then float er back on down with the snogo on top come brakeup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast