Thread: Spring Bear on the Steese

Default Spring Bear on the Steese

So I'm just going to start off by saying I'm new to Fairbanks. Just came up here this last fall to go to UAF and haven't done a whole lot of hunting up here, mostly just driving around to get to know the area. I know nobody is going to want to give away there secrets spots so I'm not gonna ask I just need a couple pointers. Now my question is:

How is the bear hunting around Davidson Ditch and Twelve Mile Summit? From what I understand a lot of bear hunting up here is done by glassing mountain sides (back in southeast we usually just cruise the beaches in the spring.) I went riding up that way this winter and it looked better than anywhere i've seen close to town as far as visibility goes on the mountain sides. Now what I'm thinking is just a couple weekend trips this spring where we hike in some of the trails and just find a good mountain side to glass for a couple of days and then put the stalk on one if we see one.

Also I guess I should say that I'll mainly be hunting black bears but would love to take a crack at a grizz if I see one.

well ill start by saying a non-res griz tag is $500... plus you have to have a guide... and black bear tag will run you 225.... i may be wrong but thats what the website says,.... also that doesnt include the hunting license

unless of coarse you moved to fairbanks from somewhere else in alaska... which now that i re read the post, seems to be the case

Yeah I'm from down in Southeast Alaska so I'm not worried as far as tags go

There are bears all over the state, but I wouldn't count on seeing many in that area. I would guess that a lot of folks from Fairbanks bait that area. A four-wheeler would greatly increase your chances though. Just need to get out further than everyone else.

Okay thanks, not the greatest news but I appreciate it. Might take my snowmachine down to Cantwell and try that area before all the snow disappears too

Well think about it a minute. The Steese is one of four or five roads leading out of Fairbanks, and the area around 12 mile summit is the single closest point on the road system to spot and stalk. With hundreds of bear hunters living in Fairbanks, I would think you're far from the first person to think about hunting bears out there. However, you might see results by taking a predator call out on the road system. I would bet there's a bait station with a couple miles of just about anywhere you stop. A person might be able to call a bear off of one of those.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SE2COLD View Post
    Okay thanks, not the greatest news but I appreciate it. Might take my snowmachine down to Cantwell and try that area before all the snow disappears too
    run the tracks...down there too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah I defintely see your logic in that being the closest point for bear and it being crowded. I'm not gonna be too serious about it this year since i'm gonna be pretty busy with classes. I'll probably give that predator call idea a shot and see if I can get lucky. I never thought of doing it that way.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as for the steece... there was another thread not long ago... unlike down south the Black bears DO NOT tend to be above tree line here... or out in the wide opens... thats grizz country.

even in the fall.. our berrys are down here.. we have some higher also.. but many of our best patches are at 500-700 elevation...( fairbanks is ~380) tree line tends to be ~ 1200-1800 foot dependent on ground type, perma frost level etc.. while black bears are found above it.. they are fewer and further between.. with the amount of grizz compition they will stay near cover.

i spot bears every spring along the elliot and Steece.. in clearings, catching the newest grasses.. and by memorial weekend.. most are burried into the leafy green forest.. Green up.. it most notable here in town MAY 13-15.. nearly EVERY year.. you will see it first on the steece at halgerburger hill.. and it will move down quick. and north daily.. those are the evenings to be out.. by 5-6 pm looking at south facing slopes, power lines... etc... keep in mind coming from SE.. most our bears average 5-6 '... we have a few areas up here were 6-7 are avalible.. but thats going to take some work on your part to find..

hope this gets you started.. go kill some bears.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the reply and all the advice Vince! I'm not looking for a monster up here just need a fur to hang on my dorm wall to give it a personal touch. I'll be back in southeast for the summer so I'll work on getting a big bruin down there.

keep in mind.. OURS are DANG good eating...even if you dont want the meat.. save it.. i have a lot of folks that will take it. been working on a bear salvage program, and donation system locally..

meet on face book here

Fairbanks Creek Road just off Cleary summit.

There is all kinds of trail access & lots of places to spot & stock.

Plus its not as high altitude as Eagle summit, so you wont have as much slushy snow to deal with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    keep in mind.. OURS are DANG good eating...even if you dont want the meat.. save it.. i have a lot of folks that will take it. been working on a bear salvage program, and donation system locally..
    Alright thanks. I've got a buddy up here with some freezer space so I was planning on keeping the meet anyways but the meat from our southeast bears is not that much of a delicacy (sp?) so it's good to know that these ones taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Fairbanks Creek Road just off Cleary summit.

There is all kinds of trail access & lots of places to spot & stock.

Plus its not as high altitude as Eagle summit, so you wont have as much slushy snow to deal with either.
    I completely forgot about Cleary summit. Are any of the trails doable with a truck or is this another situation where you'd need a four wheeler?

Ive seen a few bears while driving from Nome Creek and around Nome Creek always when I am loaded hauling a trailer and on the way home and finding a place to turn around and coming back they are gone..

There are goo spots you just have to get out and look and find them.

Some of the trails on Fairbanks creek are Truck accessable but I would use a quad instead.

LOTS OF TRAILS that go for miles.

Good Moose huntin too.

Don't get discouraged about the steese getting "crowded" you MAY run into someone out there but its not like there are going to be hordes of people like when they open 40 mile to the road where you cant get down the thing. The most traffic you will probably see is the road crew working on the highway or people going to and from the mines down that way. The most traffic I have ever seen on the steese was when 40 mile was open other than that you see a few cars here and there and thats it no matter what time of year. Also the further you go the less traffic there will be.