Thread: Ice Bear Alarm??

Default Ice Bear Alarm??

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I live in Juneau and have been looking into bear fences. While cruising this site I noticed Ice Bear Alarms and have been interested in getting a bear fence. I am curious if anyone is using one and what their overall satisfaction has been? An Ice Bear fence is different in that it is a mechanical device, not electrical, that fires 12 gauge blanks to scare the bear/warn the tent inhabitants. It seems to me that this would be more beneficial than just shocking the bear, but I have been wrong before and thought I'd ask your opinions.

Thanks.

I think it totally depends on the bear. I've known guys that have had to shoot their 44s out the tent all night long because the bears would keep coming back. But other bears will get the hint right away, take off and stay away. Personally I think something that actually inflicts pain on the bear (like a shock to the nose) would work better. But that may not be true all the time either. With some bears, if they are hungry enough and want what you got, there's nothing short of killing the darn thing that is really going to work. Imo.....

I can't comment on the Ice Bear Alarm, but I can say that electric fences work for all manner of animals and that if they are properly installed (the biggest failure is having an insufficient ground) they will work on any kind of animal. There is quite a bit of research available on the efficacy of electric bear fences and when done right they are lightweight and capable. I'd be hard to convince to carry an extra box or two of 12 gauge blanks for the fence after it is discharged and the probable need to get up in the dark to reload the fence; with an electric you turn it on and forget it. A very good electric fence can be assembled for less than $100 with a little internet surfing....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I believe the more times a bear hears a shot and nothing happens the less he is concerned by them which can be a problem.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I believe the more times a bear hears a shot and nothing happens the less he is concerned by them which can be a problem.JMHO
    I am of the same opinion Amigo Will people learn the same way and bears are pretty darn smart!

Ya before I retired from the Army at the YTA we have a soldier drug out of his sleeping bag by a blackie that was curious even with generators and vehicles running. the bear wach idio was new and was to scared when he saw the bear he froze..

Bears learn and then blow it off like its nothing.

the USFWS uses Cracker rounds and Bean Bags and a last resort Slugs for DLP.. I would vote on the electric fence due to you dont have to act like your in a war zone and stand guard all night.

Thanks for the input.

Does anyone know if the electric fence models have an audible alarm that is set off when the fence is touched? I believe I would sleep better if I knew that I would be woken when there was a visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I am of the same opinion Amigo Will people learn the same way and bears are pretty darn smart!
    I agree as well. I've fired warning shots on both blackies and brownies some took off and some ignored it. I'm now of the opinion that warning shots just waste ammo. I think a jolt of electricity or a whiff of pepper spray is a more effective deterrent. I still pack a sidearm though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullberry View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Does anyone know if the electric fence models have an audible alarm that is set off when the fence is touched? I believe I would sleep better if I knew that I would be woken when there was a visitor.
    Should be very easy to install either a bell or a buzzer. My vote is for the electric fence, as I've seen them work time and time again. Not so with the gunshots. On Kodiak Island especially, many bears take the sound of a shot to be a call to dinner (hunters and their deer kills, you see).

And for Pete's sake store your food away from camp, hanging it if possible. Keep a clean camp !!!