Thread: Moving Cabin built on Skids

Default Moving Cabin built on Skids

Hello!
    I currently live in one of the 12x24 cabins built by the carpentry school in Anchorage. I am looking at purchasing another one to put next to it but I can't for the life of me figure out how the previous owners got the current cabin to the spot where it is. I know it was built by the carpentry school and it is on skids. The specs for the unfinished cabin I am looking at is 5,000 lbs and WxLxH = 15x26x12.5. We are about 1.5 miles off the highway UP a road that does not look like the current cabin could have been towed up....BUT I know it was somehow because it is the exact same cabin built in Anchorage! Does anyone know how you go about loading, transporting, and unloading a cabin that size? I have contacted Totem Toters and Carlile (who said it would probably be more expensive to move it than the price I would be paying to buy the cabin!), are there people out there who do this kind of transport besides the big companies? I have contacted the previous owner of the property for more info but so far have not heard back. I wonder what size/type of trailer would be required and if it would be worthwhile to just buy a trailer and keep it on the trailer? ANY INFORMATION anyone can give me regarding moving a cabin this size would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The smaller ones are jacked and blocked so that they could back a trailer underneath.

There is a outfit in Anchorage that moves conex's around for people. You could have them deliver it to the road or trail and drop it on a metal skid and have a small dozer tow it to where you want it . I am sure that you could rent a metal skid for the job. There is a lot of them around just have to put out the word. Good Luck

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Contact anyone with a slide back wrecker. They should be able to move it but 24' might be a hassle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The problem is DOT, 12 feet is a oversize load 8.5 feet is the max width you can move legally. Anyone moving it legally has to pay for oversize permits and move it according to the laws of the area. You can move it like the pictures above show (notice private carrier) they can move it till caught then the fines will make you wish you built it locally.

Call one of the house movers in the area. It'll be simple for them. Bryant Contracting, Hannah Contracting, Foote's House Moving, Totem Toters...

That's the catch on those little cabins they are selling. They cost just as much to move as they are worth. At most likely 14' wide because of the roof overhangs it is going to require two pilot cars plus the truck.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Heck of a lot cheaper to go to Moore's and purchase their materials, as they deliver on all road accessible areas. Haul it all in by sled and be $$ ahead by doing so. Besides, you can build it exactly like you want it!

Rich
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

Dale, your numbers are a little off on legally moving a load. I just moved a 11.8 foot wide by 16 long this summer and it cost me 60 bucks I think. It was also 15 ' high. Needed just one pilot car and a wide load sign. Nothing to it but you are right, if caught w/o a permit... 500 bucks is the penalty fine. Better to build on site, just cheaper that way.
    http://alaskadipnetting.com/

If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Dale, your numbers are a little off on legally moving a load. I just moved a 11.8 foot wide by 16 long this summer and it cost me 60 bucks I think. It was also 15 ' high. Needed just one pilot car and a wide load sign. Nothing to it but you are right, if caught w/o a permit... 500 bucks is the penalty fine. Better to build on site, just cheaper that way.
    I didn't post any numbers just said the cost goes up with oversize loads (moved legally) I have no idea what prices akcowgirl was quoted or what the price is on the building or if they think it's a good deal for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's the catch on those little cabins they are selling. They cost just as much to move as they are worth. At most likely 14' wide because of the roof overhangs it is going to require two pilot cars plus the truck.
    Hey! Those cabins are very well built. At least the one I built when I went through the school was!

They went for $3500 or so back then, now they're north of $6000. One apprentice does all the work on the cabin, the only help they get is raising the walls. Good times, good times.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Thanks for the info so far, I have contacted Totem Toters and they seem to have the best price so far. Yes I realize it would be cheaper to build it myself, believe me I wish I could right now.....BUT that is the problem, I don't know how to build a cabin/house by myself! It's a LONG story, but myself and husband are coming up on one year of living in a 288 sq ft dry cabin off grid. It was supposed to be temporary till we could build a more liveable structure this coming summer. Problem is that my dad and brother are still busy building my brother's place that was supposed to be finished LAST spring so that is what we will all be working on this summer. Dad and brother are the ones with all the tools and knowledge so we are totally an their schedule....I so badly want to learn how and will totally work my butt off to build our own place but now I have been told it will be at least another year or even two before we start. So instead of spending those years how we just spend the last year, my thinking was to get one of these carpenter cabins and set it next to the one we currently live in and figure out how to live in both of them without attaching them (I guess make one the bedroom and bathroom and the other one the kitchen and office/living area...we don't have a bathroom or functioning kitchen right now). If I could do this arrangement there would be no problem living in it for quite a while with no rush to build something else Sorry not to turn it into a sob story but with my husband having leukemia and some pretty rough days I am going to try everything I can to make it so we can at least have a real bathroom and small kitchen instead of being stuck in the current non functional cabin for another year or two. And that is the short of why I am trying to figure out how to transport this cabin instead of building my own. Please keep the info coming if anyone has good ideas or transportation contacts. I feel like I have bit off more than I can chew with this transportation stuff but I am not going to stop trying to figure it out. I will do everything in my power to get this cabin up here in the name of not spending another winter like the one we just finished

Default Permit? I don't need no stinkin permit

The pics posted earlier are not on any public roads. It is my 12 x 16 cabin.

The point was to illustrate how to do it yourself. If that ol blister and I can do it, anybody can. If you can find someone with a dump truck and heavy equipment trailer, acquire the permit then DIY. Or get the hubby to help.

We pull permits all year long to haul larger loads than you are talking about. It's a very doable project. Permit for that size load probably between $125 and 250. You can be the pilot car. If you have any contacts with a construction company, call and ask for advice/names.

It isn't an easy job, however. One person with experience should be involved. Things do fall and people get hurt. Lots of jacking, hoisting, blocking and humping timbers around. Then you get to do it again. It is cheaper though.
    You don't say where you are taking the cabin. A long road trip will be expensive for a commercial outfit. You will be paying the crew and equipment by the hour. Always pre=drive the route and check for overhead lines, obstructions etc. THAT gets expensive.

Good luck and post some pictures.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

P.S. So far these are the numbers...... $6250.00 for the cabin (unfinished inside but that is something we can definitely do oursleves) and Totem Toters approx: $2,000 for transport including permits, loading at the Anchorage site, transport w/3 pilot cars (carpentry school said sometimes you can provide you own pilot cars to reduce cost but I have not confirmed w/Totem Toters), unloading and leveling at site (Past Sutton about 10 miles).

i think $2000 sounds more than fair since it will take his crew of 4 all day plus and driving 4 rigs out to sutton and level up done. we used totem toters 2 years ago. to move a much larger building and they worked out great and have all the cool tools to get the job done safe and fast.....

What about contacting the school/teacher and having the kids build what you need on site?

George
    George Riddle
    Owner/Operator
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com