Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press mounting problem

Default Press mounting problem

So, I got my bench all built and highly polished then went to mount the Rock Chucker up to it and hit a wall. Well actually I hit the front of the bench! Basically the front of my bench is 6" deep and the linkage on the ram assembly hits the bench and can't go through it's entire range of travel. Cutting through the trim board isn't really an option since the structural 2x4 is directly behind it and I would have the same issue. Moving it out further from the bench would not leave enough material to bolt it to securely.

I really like the look of the bench and spent a ton of time finishing it . I would rather not bolt something ugly to it now. At this point I have narrowed it down to a couple possible options.

First one (that I really like) is to just go buy a Redding T7. Looking at pictures/videos it seems to have a better mounting system than the RCBS. I need the first bolt to be about at least 1.5" back from the front edge of the bench which looking at pictures I think the T7 will do. The linkage where the ram and arm come together on the T7 doesn't appear to need clearance under the bench like the RCBS does. Does anyone have a T7 that they can confirm these assumptions with?? Worst case I am hoping to make a run into Boonies and check one out myself this afternoon but I would sure appreciate someone with the same press and a measuring tape saving me the trip if it would be a waste!

Second option... I could bolt a piece of plate steel to the bench so it overhangs the edge by a few inches and then mount the press to that. Certainly the cheaper way to go though a good bit uglier... 12x12 quarter inch plate is pretty easy to get from lowes and I imagine would be plenty strong for this application. If not I may be able to get a piece of 1/2" scrap from Greatland Welding but it seems like it would be more than needed.

Any input is MUCH appreciated!

(PS, the CFO (wife) signed off on the Redding purchase as long as it bolts right up and doesn't require additional $$...)

Here is a picture of the bench. The black trim is .75" thick by 5.5" deep and behind it is a 2x4 cross brace. The top is 3/4" oak ply glued and screwed to 3/4" regular ply to make a 1.5" thick solid top.

More pics to show the problem better.

First pic is where the press would have to be bolted on for the arm to fully travel. There is not enough meat to secure it in this position.

This pic shows what happens if I slide the press back to where it would bolt securely.

You can see the bottom of the handle hits the bench so the ram cannot be fully raised.

I had the same problem with my bench. I just routed out a recess in the front trim to clear the arm on the press.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

That seems like a reasonable solution. Or hillbilly it up and get the sawzall out!

If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade to a Forster co-ax, you have my blessing

At least you checked for clearance before mounting it. I discovered the issue after I mounted mine. As my bench isn't that nice I did a rather crude job of adding the necessary clearnance. One could do a much cleaner job with a router.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Either cut a notch or buy the Forster Co-Ax. The Forster is the best press I have ever used and I been reloading since 1965.

Mount the press on a 1/2 steel plate with counter sinks or taped holes so bottom is flat then bolt the plate to the bench. Even if it was a Foster I'd mount it like that to spared the force and prevent the top flexing and popping off the trim. Id make you a plate but all my scrap steel is 4 under snow right now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yep, this would be my fix too!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I had the same problem with my bench. I just routed out a recess in the front trim to clear the arm on the press.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I have a RCBS rockchucker and a T-7 mounted side by side on my loading bench.

When the RCBS is as far back against the face of the bench, and still work, I have 1" from the face of the bench to the center of the mounting holes.

On the T-7, when it is as far back against the face of the bench, and still work, I have 1" from the face of the bench to the center of the front mounting holes.
    There is a second set of holes on the T-7 that are 3 1/2" back from the face of the bench.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I would go with the router but if you go with the steel plate use 1/2". wobbly on a press is a bad thing. If you are going to spend the money on a T7 you might as well go Dillon 550.

metal spacer plate guy! common now......a nice chunk of 1/4" steel cutt and ground to shape spacing it out just enough to clear your purdy bench and paint it "RCBS GREEN". Drill the hole pattern onto the big steel plate and drill the holes where it will bolt to the bench.....voila.

Don't forget to add some extra "meat" to the underside of the bench for the really difficult and heavily leveraging jobs like necking up brass, or full length resizing of 460 weatherby mag cases.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    That seems like a reasonable solution. Or hillbilly it up and get the sawzall out!
    This is what I did, though I'm reluctant to post a pic of my prowess...

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    This would definitely be better than a sawzall and wood chisel....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Travelers hit a home run with the measurements for me! Add to that the great folks at boonies who hauled a press around the store till we found a good spot to simulate my situation.

I have all my reloading stuff laid out on the bench at the moment and am working on getting it sorted and organized. Should be making ammo in short order!

The oldest kid is excited. The first project is getting him set up with a black bear load!

Huh.... I scratch my head at some of the stuff you guys do...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Huh.... I scratch my head at some of the stuff you guys do...
    Funny, that puts "the stuff you guys do" right up there with simple arithmetic...

sounds likes good reason to buy another press, if you need a reason. I have my dillon 650, dillon 550 and lee press all mounted on the same bench. that gave me a reason to build a new bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I have that same press and love being able to leave a couple sets of favorite dies setup and have my universal decapper all in the same press.

Nice looking setup.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Lujon, put that scary pitbull/gaurd dog on a leash before it tears somebody's leg off! It's got crazy eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Funny, that puts "the stuff you guys do" right up there with simple arithmetic...
    Try this one on for size:

I have a scratch in the side wall of my tire on mah F-150, and I think I'm missing a wheel weight too........dang......it's outta balance!

Ohhhh.......I just went went and bought a new mercedes benz..........sure fixed that problem!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mercedes-Benz-Guard-model.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast