Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPod Help

Default IPod Help

Has anyone hooked up their IPod in their boat? I'm looking for ideas.

I have a 22' HT Hewescraft Ocean Pro. I want to be able to listen to music from my IPod. Should I just go with some kind of portable battery unit, or hardwire something in. I'd prefer some larger speakers for better sound, but I'm not sure what route to go. I'd be listening to it while anchored halibut fishing, so should I install an extra battery?

I already have two batteries, but the last thing I want is to be stuck with no battery because of an IPod and speakers.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Why not just install a car stereo or marine grade tuner/stereo and run your iPod through it? Alpine decks with the iPod connection will even charge your iPod. Hard to beat bouncing the bottom with Jimmy Buffett playing in the backround.

As long as you have a dedicated house battery or bank of batteries isolated from your cranking battery, you should be fine. Remember, any fool can rough it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

For day trips on my river boat I just take a little Logitech rechargeable iPod speaker set that will run about 10 hours while charging your iPod and playing music. For an ocean setup the built in automotive style system previously mentioned would be ideal.

I got a Kenwood Marine am/fm/cd player for my boat this year (haven't put it in yet, but will here soon). Also bought the cable that plugs into the back of the deck and so will connect to the Ipod. As for the batteries, I have two of them. I will use one for starting the engine and then switch to the other one when just sitting and fishin... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

2 years ago I put in one of these: http://www.polyplanar.com/product/me60-4-channel-120-watt-amplifier-volume-control

and a set of speakers: http://www.polyplanar.com/catalog/ma...premium-series

I forgot which speakers I used? that will depend on space and mounting possibilities. The amp works great & the seperate on off volume is real handy. No radio as most of the time I am not in radio range and if so I can plug in a cheap portable radio via the pin jack.

I rarely have it on when moving but its nice at times when fishing and has enough oompph to listen to at camp.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

If concerned about batteries you should get a low battery alarm, my fishfinder allows me to set a voltage alarm on the fishfinder, I can select the voltage.

I have a riverboat and run two odyssey batteries, I typically run with both on but it would be best to isolate one, the Odysseys are excellent units, spendy but they last and last. You will buy 3 napa, costo batteries to every odyssey you buy. There are other good ones but I have had such good luck with them I dont plan to try anything else.
    TR

I have a DUAL stereo with the ipod connection. Plugs in and hangs from a recoil wire so I can lay it on the dash and the bottom recoil wire plugs into a DC outlet for charging the ipod. Four speakers, three in the cabin and one on the deck, we play it all weekend and never have battery issues!

I have a wetsuit and snorkel mask; we draw straws to decide who has to jump in and "manually" start the prop if we ever kill the batteries...

you got sun up there just like we got it here ... just get a small Solar panel panel (15 watts or more) and let it charge the battery while sitting there casting the fishing line or just relaxing having a cold one....

If you do not mind spending a little more and do not want to drain the main battery that a look at Goal Zero solar / battery products, I have a portable battery unit and matching Solar charging panel for it and and can run my Ipad on it without recharging it for 6 hours or just plug in the solar panel and runs all day even when there is a tad of a overcast, so I'm sure it will run the Ipod very well.

In my Hewes I installed a 100watt amp that the speakers hooked into. The Amp had a line in jack that I ran to my Ipod. Worked great. The amp was nicely hidden under the dash.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

A pair of computor speakers and a small power inverter does the trick. I have a 2000 watt under the seat of Alaskan 240 I use for hot plates, and small cooker pot for Ramen and heating water, but a 400 watt for 20 bucks will run a pair of computor speakers. They draw very little power and put out good sound. You can even hide a small bass woofer under a seat if you wish. I've used this set up with just two speakers and it worked great. I don't keep mine in there all the time as I like the peace and quiet most of the time so I leave them in the RV. You can mount them, or just tuck them away somewhere like over head space above your side windows or cubby hole above your head on the front windows. These areas are carpeted on your Hewes so it will not vibrate or rattle on your aluminum. Take a few plastic sticky back wire clips to manage the wires. And if you want to up grade to better speakers or they crap out, its a 2 minute job to replace the system.

Thanks for all the ideas. I really like the idea of just having an amp that I can plug into (if I understand correctly???) without having to have a sterieo deck installed too. I won't get reception anyways for the radio. I'll have to look into that option more.

DMan - What brand amp are you using that will allow you to plug your IPod directly into it?

Thanks!

Ruger01,

I use the portable speaker option for my Ipod. I have an earlier version of this that Costco carried a few years back: http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-spe...ml#reviewPage1. We needed the mobility since we camp on shore. Even on the boat it is nice to be able to move the unit to were you want it.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas. I really like the idea of just having an amp that I can plug into (if I understand correctly???) without having to have a sterieo deck installed too. I won't get reception anyways for the radio. I'll have to look into that option more.

DMan - What brand amp are you using that will allow you to plug your IPod directly into it?

Thanks!
    I was going to go this route originally but chose not to in the end. Here is a explanation that was given to me:

iPod MARINE INSTALL

What’s an iPod? A Primer….

A lot of people have said, “why get this when I can get XM or Sirius?” A fair question - If you do not own a lot of CD’s and just listen to music as background, get XM. A marine iPod setup is for people who have a lot of CD’s and want to listen to their stuff rather than a channel that plays some else’s oldies or Jazz or what ever. XM works well and I have recommended it for a lot of my friends that are not music freaks… But you cannot take XM with you to the gym, a plane trip or a jog. I have both the iPod and Sirius working thru the same amp.
    The idea is pretty simple – an iPod is the size of a pack of smokes and stores over 750 albums that can be called up in any fashion by artist, album or type of music on a small Hard Drive. It can also be set to play random so your music is always fresh and new. You can program it to play all the songs that have not been played in the last 90 days, all the songs that have only been played once, etc.
    Connect it to an amp and the amp to the speakers. Take it off the boat and it connects to your home stereo, or take it with you on a walk. The music gets on your ipod via your computer. The ipod comes with a program called iTunes for your PC, which is very easy to use. Feed your CD’s into the computer. The program changes the songs into MP3 files, and then with a cord connected to your computer, it transfers to the iPod. You can group your favorites from every album together, all the jazz or all the oldies – you decide what “mixes” you want to create.

Here’s the install:
    Mount a 4 or 2 channel marine amp in the inside of your console and run 4 or 2 speakers in the boat. If you want to go high end, Get the JL amp. If you want to go a bit less, get the Clarion amp and Infinity speakers. But the JL amps are well worth it, you can hear the difference. Or get a Clarion refurbished unit off eBay – search for “Clarion Marine amplifier”. They usually are about $200 for the 4 channel and $150 for the 2 channel. The main amp power wire should run straight to the battery, I suggest you used heavy marine 8 gauge wire – you want to use FUSED, (30A) big gauge wire to run from the amp to the batt. The same size for the negative wire too….The green “turn on” 12V small wire should go to a switch on the dash or if you have a battery switch you can wire it straight to it, which will leave it on all the time that the switch is on. This is not the desirable way, but when the ipod is disconnected or not playing, the amp draws virtually no load from the battery, it is just energized. Your then turn it off when you leave the boat and shut off your battery. I like the dash switch, as it’s a quick mute when for an event happens where you need your wits about you, like a fish strike or docking. But the batt switch is fine if you don’t want another hole in your dash. Remember, amps can drain the battery so either add a battery in parallel or just watch blasting it when you’re anchored. A batt can go down fast using hi-volume and an amp. Contact me if you want a trick way to auto-disconnect the batt if it starts getting too low (Blue Seas in-line battery link ACR).

Apple sells a nice cable that puts a very small hole in your dash for the connection to the ipod. It’s called the “iPod AV” cable and made for the video ipod – you can just hook up the L+R audio jacks, forget the video part to the amp and it’ll work fine….looks like this when you are done – other end is reg jacks that just connect to the head unit like a VCR. Get it off the apple website. Drill the hole so it slides thru perfectly and then slide a piece of heat shrink on it (see black piece in pic below) to keep it from going back thru….when pushed into the hole, it seals it from leaks, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post

Thanks!
    The poly planar amp was 96 bucks from audio allies, the me 60 comes with a weatherproof dash mount recep for a 1/8" pin jack, and a on-off volume control. It is "water resistant", for what ever thats worth. I used some 5-1/4" 2 way speakers, happy with the way it sounds. http://www.audioallies.com/GetItem.asp?Item=ME%2D60

I find the newer I-pods last quite a while w/o a charge (at least the flash drive ones do) when it needs charging I have a 12V charger I plug into a receptacle.
    TR

Looks like the pin jack does not come with the amp and I bought that seperately, there are several brands, but this is what I bought.

http://www.audioallies.com/GetItem.a...m=IC%2D3%2E5PM
    TR

It's the same as some of us would do for our Jeeps. You can go to any Radio Shack, or most department store electronic sections, and get a cable with the headphone jack on one end and the RCA jacks on the other end. Headphone end into iPod, RCAs into amp. Adjust gain on amp for the max setting needed then control volume through the iPod. Crutchfield, among others, has a pretty good selection of marine grade audio components to choose an amp and speakers from. I've always really liked their customer service as well. Their most recent catalog had a pair of boat installs featured in it.

When I had my Sea Sport, I put in a car stereo with some Bose "environmental" speakers. It was a great set-up, but spendy. If I had to do it again, I'd vote for a portable speaker dock (bose's "music to go" looks pretty nice). Then you can take it anywhere else you want. Tie it into a 12V cigarette adapter for power when you have it available, otherwise run off AA's or D's, whatever it takes. Then you don't have the stranded capital of stereo/speakers tied only to the boat.

Ok, I think I found what I'll probably end up getting.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_693MP3K...em.html?tp=714

Has anyone had any problems with extra electronics like this playing havoc on your depth finder? I've heard of a 5' rule--that you should place extras like this 5' from your fish finder to avoid problems.

I have had these kinds of problems in the last summer when I had things too close to my fish finder (lowrance HDS 5). I would really like to mound the bass box and amp under the driver seat, but I'm concerned it's too cloose to the fish finder. Would it be safer to mount it towards the back of the cabin?

Any thoughts?

the speakers with a amp hooked to your i pod direct is a nice set up i have it in my polaris ranger and it costs $100 +/- with what speakers you get.

I got a Fusion 600 deck for my boat that a iPod or i phone goes inside of that puts your play list on the face of the deck.... but it was over priced... but for this unit you can get a second small deck that is linked to the main deck that can be mounted in the back of the boat so you can adjust your tunes as you fish!!!!

I went with the waterproof Pyle amp/speaker system specially designed for ipod marine use. Less than $50 on Amazon. You can get them with two, four or no speakers.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRKT2...Speaker-System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast